Hello, This Is My Pred So Far Lol

That's an awesome sculpture. As far as molding with silicone, I am about to do the same process. I can notify you when I'm done. Still, I could use some help too.

I don't have allot of experience, but I do know that casting latex in silicone molds can be quite troublesome, not to mention taking a hell of allot longer to cure.  I know it can be done, but why spend all the extra money on silicone when ultra cal 30 is so cheap?  Even having to pay for shipping, I would still think you would save a ton of money over the cost of silicone.  A quick search (right at the top in the center) yielded this http://www.thehunterslair.com/topic/13819-latex-in-silicone-mold/.  Good advice there from members that have more experience than me.

Brian

I figured that ultracal would be much cheaper than silicone molds, but what I'm concerned about is the quality of the finished mask. Would there be a difference between the two types of molding?

thanks for the input guys. I can imagine why a silicone mould would be a drag to cure in but as you say it picks up and holds details better than ultra cal or whatever I used last time... I think it might have been hydra something :/

I also wanted to ask about the grp route, I wondered if anyone had ever used resin to slightly thin gelcoat and use that for the moulds beauty coat then start to layer up cloth, that way I could use that to try a silicone mask if I ever fancied it. Anyone have experience of latex drying in fibreglass moulds? I'm assuming it can be done as surely people arent swilling latex in giant torso moulds made from ultra cal etc are they???

again, thanks guys.

love the base shape of the head. and looking forward to seeing more.

I have cured latex in a resin mould several times, I just worked in layers ( alittle slow in the damp UK )

Good luck

MAN!!........you must be on some seriously heavy drugs lol.
Just started out using a tooth pick to sculpt myself.......but NOT on a full scale head lol...............I bet even SAINTS are envious of your patients.lol

Looking REALLY F'ckin good, nice shape aswel as texture.
Cant wait to see this finished.
Cheers for posting

Looking good mate! Yes silicone molds you have several material options including latex. With average calif temps can cast a suit or head in one day. Plus is longevity and lighter molds. Ultracal is heavy, and difficult on backs.

okay so silicone and grp are fine to cast latex in it just takes a little longer, is that the gist?

Difficult on backs, haha, yes. Also I used to work in a converted attic space with a low sloping roof, I was swilling latex around a big plaster mould leaning backwards and forwards with each swill until my head stopped when it hit the roof my arms couldn't stop the momentum of the mould and the mould stopped when it hit my face. Double whammy, ouch.

Okay well great guys really appreciate it, still a little anxious I may cast in silicone then touch it back up and make a plaster mould keeping the silicone mould just in case it all goes t*ts up and at least I'll have a negative master.

Have this aft off so should hopefully, although at this stage its obviously slow, have a little progress for you to see tonight :)

Darquesse said:
Amazing could some one tell me how to do that please thanks I a new member here
Hi Darquesse I'm new too here to but not to making stuff  but theres still a lot more I dont know than I do, I'm sure if you watch this topic plus browse this site you'll learn how to make your own, its a worthwhile hobby.

not got much done but had a couple of hours worked around his left cheek.
loving it, good fun, hope I can get the final result im after.

photo3_zpsea580bc4.jpg

photo6_zpsa0397806.jpg

photo7_zps7de2cceb.jpg

yes he is sat on the toilet

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back