Hellboy 2019, Ben Daimio pistol (updated with pics)

RobA

Just watched Hellboy 2019 (free with Prime) and the pistol+ammunition that was given to Ben Daimio to kill Hellboy jumped out.

It appeared to be a side break large gauge single shot weapon. Nothing on it in the IMFDB. Wondering if anyone knows if it is based on a real firearm, or if it was fabricated just for the movie?

(update) was able to get some grabs from the film of the weapon:
cap_12.jpgcap_07.jpgcap_06.jpgcap_02.jpgcap_01.jpg

and the round:
cap_04.jpgcap_03.jpg

TIA-

-Rob A>

Last edited:
Just watched Hellboy 2019 (free with Prime) and the pistol+ammunition that was given to Ben Daimio to kill Hellboy jumped out.

It appeared to be a side break large gauge single shot weapon. Nothing on it in the IMFDB. Wondering if anyone knows if it is based on a real firearm, or if it was fabricated just for the movie?

TIA-

-Rob A>
When asking questions about props its helpful to add pics of the prop you want to know about.

There are a lot of single shot hunting pistols, but I don't know of one with that kind of break action of the top of my head. A lot with a standard top break, though. Good hunting!

This looks like it might be baised on a flare pistol but it was probably custom built for the movie.

You could try posting it to some gun collecting forums because if it is a real weapon it would be rare given the side break open action.

I missed this when I saw the film in the theater.

The grip and trigger set up and even the latch for breaking open the barrel seem to be based on a bond arms derringer. But I don't think they used a bond arms for the build. Bond arms doesn't make anything that breaks to the side like that. Certainly not a 12 gauge.

That black part with the finger grooves looks like a vintage grip insert for snub nosed revolvers. I think it's called a T-grip.

My guess would be that it's a 3D printed custom piece with some real gun pieces installed on it. But really I'd need to see more.

That barrel looks familiar. The hammer looks like it sits in the notch at the top of the breach, which would kind of denote it being a rimfire gun, not a centerfire.

The round looks like a full brass 12 gauge shell with custom prop greeblies for the projectile.

Thanks for guessing/IDing some of the components, I've come to the conclusion that it is not based on an actual firearm frame, including flare guns. The only two I've been able to find are the Colt Their Derringer, a side break short .22 (Google images for many examples) and the Dryer Percussion Shotgun of which I only found scrolling through thousands of Google image results:
tumblr_inline_o76c33StJf1si52o4_500.jpg

The shotgun noticeably has the break pivot much further down the barrel than the pistol from the movie, possibly necessary to clear the breech with both barrels as it is a side by side.

-Rob A>

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back