Heavy Metal Movie Logo Build - With Fullsize Robot And Glowing Loc-Nar

Metalalien

Sr Member
This is one of those things I decided I needed in my life. I love that movie and I wanted to have the chrome logo somewhere in my house. I like making things big so I had a blank wall about 20 feet long so I used that. First step was to paint a starfield using florescent paint I have blacklights mounted to hit those. Then I made a simple Loc-Nar out of a globe and a green Halloween light from Lowes.

The logo is pink foam cut and sanded to shape about 7 feet across. Then I covered it in chrome wrap. It came out ok... but I think I am going to cut out clear acrylic sheets and cover those with the same wrap. Just on the face of the letters, I want them to be very smooth but that is a project for another day. The Robot is PVC covered in pink foam with pose-able joints.

here is some short videos showing the logo..

Attachments

• heavy metal1.jpg
    heavy metal1.jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 102
  • heavy4.JPG
    heavy4.JPG
    499.9 KB · Views: 127
  • heavy3.JPG
    heavy3.JPG
    500 KB · Views: 92
  • heavy2.JPG
    heavy2.JPG
    493 KB · Views: 88
  • heavy1.JPG
    heavy1.JPG
    494.2 KB · Views: 96
  • robot1.JPG
    robot1.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC05334.JPG
    DSC05334.JPG
    560.7 KB · Views: 105
  • SAM_0144.JPG
    SAM_0144.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC05361.JPG
    DSC05361.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • robot head.jpg
    robot head.jpg
    678.8 KB · Views: 97
  • heavy metal 3.JPG
    heavy metal 3.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 87
  • heavy metal 2.JPG
    heavy metal 2.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Love the Heavy Metal movie. It was originally intended that a sequence of movies would come out. Each one like the original that would feature a series of short animations from various artists.

Well done on the Robot !

Love the Loc Nar also, now I want to make a portable one. ;)

I love Heavy Metal, but I can't help to think of Ghostbusters when I watch it. So many common threads between the two including Ivan Reitman, many key actors, even the music scores by Elmer Bernstein.

David Fincher tried for years to get the rights to Heavy Metal for a sequel. Over time he partnered with Tim Miller and the project evolved into "Love, Death + Robots" on Netflix.

This is one of those things I decided I needed in my life. I love that movie and I wanted to chrome logo somewhere in my house. I like making things big so I had a blank wall about 20 feet long so I used that. First step was to paint a starfield using florescent paint I have blacklights mounted to hit those. Then I made a simple Loc-Nar out of a globe and a green Halloween light from Lowes.

The logo is pink foam cut and sanded to shape about 7 feet across. Then I covered it in chrome wrap. It came out ok... but I think I am going to cut out clear acrylic sheets and cover those with the same wrap. Just on the face of the letters, I want them to be very smooth but that is a project for another day. The Robot is PVC covered in pink foam with pose-able joints.

here is some short videos showing the logo..

Good Nyborg, man!!

I love Heavy Metal, but I can't help to think of Ghostbusters when I watch it. So many common threads between the two including Ivan Reitman, many key actors, even the music scores by Elmer Bernstein.

David Fincher tried for years to get the rights to Heavy Metal for a sequel. Over time he partnered with Tim Miller and the project evolved into "Love, Death + Robots" on Netflix.
There is a Heavy Metal 2, but not very memorable.

The original was a great midnight movie, right up there with The Wall, Dawn of the Dead, The Meaning of Life, etc..

Thanks guys. There are a few movies i'm obsessed with and this is one of them. I want to build more stuff from the movie. I think one of my next projects after the Alien Warrior will be to build the house at the end of the movie with all the windows glowing green from the Loc-Nar. Complete with a white Corvette in the driveway. :)

This is fantastic! I totally forgot about how iconic that robot's design is.

What did you use for the joints?
Thank you sir! They are adjustable pvc joints. I don't remember exactly where I bought them but these are very similar.

That might be where I bought them i'm not sure. If I remember right I bought the female to female version and wrapped tape around them to fit inside a pipe larger than they are.

Last edited:
Thank you sir! They are adjustable pvc joints. I don't remember exactly where I bought them but these are very similar.

That might be where I bought them i'm not sure. If I remember right I bought the female to female version and wrapped tape around them to fit inside a pipe larger than they are.
-OMG, I had no idea you could buy joints like this! Soooooo many possibilities! Thanks man! How tight are they? Can you adjust their tension?

-OMG, I had no idea you could buy joints like this! Soooooo many possibilities! Thanks man! How tight are they? Can you adjust their tension?
Anytime. There is a video on that website that shows you what to expect. They are kinda loose but good enough for lightweight projects. If you look at my robot I had to brace the knee. I don't think you can tighten them..

edit you can see the brace on the robot in my video...

Got a new camera and this one is better at low light so it's able to show what this really looks like when you see it in person... Under black light it's really hard to get a camera to show what it looks like to the human eye.

Last edited:
I replaced all the expensive florescence black lights with one cheaper 365nm LED light from Amazon. It's brighter than the three other black lights combined. And if it breaks so what it's cheap. Bonus it's super easy to add more now that I have the lighting truss.

Attachments

• light1.jpg
    light1.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 52
  • light2.jpg
    light2.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 54
  • truss2.jpg
    truss2.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 43
  • truss3.jpg
    truss3.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 43
  • truss4.jpg
    truss4.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 72
Very minor update. I finally built one of the little bugs that the Robot slips on in the movie. In the movie they are pink and hairy looking so I went off model for mine but it is still in the spirit of.

Apoxie clay. Two straight pins for "eyes". Base coat of florescent yellow with a florescent red wash, and then clear coated.

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 46
  • bug4.jpg
    bug4.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 43
  • bug3.jpg
    bug3.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 46
  • bug2.jpg
    bug2.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 42
  • bug1.jpg
    bug1.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 46
  • bug5.jpg
    bug5.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 41
  • bug6.jpg
    bug6.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 49
  • bug7.jpg
    bug7.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 119
  • bug8.jpg
    bug8.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 59
  • bug9.jpg
    bug9.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 67

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back