Heavy Duty Helmet: Sandtrooper

TK 4702

I tend to like my lids to feel like "real" helmets. So I thought I would share the process that I go through, while building a more durable Stormtrooper helmet.

Tools & Supplies:
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Build your lid... BUT don't cut eyes and teeth out just yet!

Apply Plumber's Putty in and around gaps, dips, cracks, etc.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Seal up any gaps where liquid (or plastic resin) might seep through.

web.jpg

Although it isn't necessary, I like to close up the ear gaps. Even though the Screen used lids HAD gaps around the ears. I like to close them up pretty good. It also adds (in the end) to the overall stability of the lid.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I then use painter's Caulk to fill any small holes in the glue. I like the water based stuff, it's real easy to clean up and you can get a real smooth surface by just running a wet finger across the stuff.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Then we use the casting resin to coat the inside of the lid. THIS is why we don't cut the eyes and teeth out yet. You basically have to pour it in the helmet and slosh it around inside, giving the whole things a good thick coat of plastic. I repeat this process maybe two or three times. Once it starts to solidify a bit you can start to mush it down with a piece of cloth or a rag. You will have some drip marks in there that would be easier to mush down than sand smooth, but either way works.

IMG_9190.jpg

web.jpg

If you want to avoid getting drops of resin on the outside of the lid. Run painters making tape around the opening, and tape a plastic shopping bag over it.

web.jpg

Once that cures, I do a primer coat to see the bumps better when sanding the inside smooth. I sometimes add a bit of bondo to the difficult areas, it's a lot easier to sand smooth than the resin. I also cut out the eyes and teeth at this point.

web.jpg

Now I can begin spraying my final coat of paint. Don'y forget to make off everything with tape, and again wrap a plastic bag on the outside. They spray the s#@t out of the inside. I like using Rustoleums Textured spray paint.

web.jpg

One reason for the Plumber's Putty around the eyes and such. It not only makes it thicker for drilling screws into, etc. But levels everything out so it lays flat on the surface, staying attached easier, not moving around or coming lose.

web.jpg

Now, when painting the outside. I like to mask off the eyes and teeth from the inside, or at least put a plastic bag in there. This will keep your cool looking interior from getting dusted with white paint or whatever.

web.jpg

Once again, masking tape and a plastic shopping bag to protect the paint. And BTW, I like using Rustoleum's "Smoke Grey" for the details. I'll later use an Elmer's brand fine point black paint pens for the outlines on the grey, and the chin is done with a brush and some of Testor's black acrylic paint.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:
It's obviously hard to tell just from looking at a picture, just how rugged this helmet is. But trust me, it's worth the all the effort!

web.jpg

Did a 1st pass at making it dirty. Looks more scratchy than the traditional "oily" look that most go with. But I like it so far.

web.jpg

Last edited:
It depends on the casting material you go with, and how much you slather on... but this stuff is heavier than most casting resins, as it actually has aluminum powder mixed in (to withstand heat). I use it for vacuum forming templates.

web.jpg

Anyhow, I would guess maybe 2-3 pounds? I get asked that question a lot. I should find out for sure.

I don't recommend trying it on a lid that's been completed, but it CAN be done. It's just a lot messier! I did it on my 1st lid that was already put together, eyes and teeth were cut out and everything. Anyhow, the resin just got everywhere.

web.jpg

I mushed some clay in the teeth, and taped the eyes off but it didn't really stop it from leaking out.

Good luck guys!

Nice tut here! Thanks for your effort!

Smart to use these 'super-magnets' (?) to hold the pieces in place. :thumbsup

Looks fabulous! Any thoughts on what might be a reasonable substitute for the kwik-kast; something maybe a little more easily accessible? I'm in a pretty remote area with only the usual run of small hardware stores around. I've seen a product called plasti-dip or plasti-coat or something similar in the automotive department...anything like the resin cast material? I just received my first TK lid and want to start putting it together, AND give it a little more heft than 2mm abs has.

The dip will help, but it's not as hard as the Kwik Kast. I don't think you will be able to paint the plastic dip, it's too flexible. But you could try the black colored dip so you wouldn't need to paint it. And if you can do a few coats.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back