Heat question

Lifeburn

Sr Member
I'm going to buy some of Manowars' skins from a fellow costuming buddy of mine and noticed that they are pretty heavy by themselves. Now I'm not a new to costuming but I am new to latex costumes, so my question is how hot does it get in a full predator compared to other costumes? And what do you do to keep from dehydrating?

It gets very hot ...very very hot. Unfortunately latex doesnt allow for much breathing....you can hydrate before, but the trick is to not overhydrate...the whole "Uh-oh ...I have to pee and Im locked in a latex suit thing" Have fun in costume but take breaks to remove the head now and again ...you can insert cpu fans behind a slit in the mask to circulate air ( it helps) ..Ice packs behind the neck are also a good idea. Unfortunately its painful to look so good

When I was hitting the party circuit at CONvergence, I had to stop at ConSuite at one point to cool off. I had so much sweat dripping out of the inside of my costume that I sent my friend Amy down to the pool to grab a couple towels. I literally had a puddle at my feet.

So, yeah, you can expect to sweat, even if you're at an air-conditioned venue. I've since built a small fan system to circulate some air in the suit; I'll let you know how that works out. I tried it last night and I noticed a difference.

Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah I was kinda expecting that it would be super hot. Do you guys/girls wear underarmor underneath the skins or is there something better?

Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah I was kinda expecting that it would be super hot. Do you guys/girls wear underarmor underneath the skins or is there something better?
I wore an Under Armour top and bike shorts underneath my Mr. Incredible suit. The bike shorts made it possible to change in the green room without showing everyone my naughty adult parts. I'm not sure if long sleeves and long leggings would make a difference, except possibly that you'd have less skin contact with the inside of the suit.

Oh, and speaking of having to pee: I built a relief zipper into the front of my suit before I started putting latex onto it. I also built a couple of vent zippers underneath the armpits, kind of like the pit zippers you'd find on a snowboarding jacket. This helped, but didn't completely fix everything, of course.

If you have any questions about heat and sweat from wearing a suit, watch the end of the "Predator Fun" vid from SDCC last year. You can see me pour my foot out. Yes, I said pour. Lol.

I figure a zipper underneath the cod piece would go unnoticed... and about the puddles in your shoes - would punching holes in the soles of the shoes sound feasible? Never been in a suit, but biking in rain clothes gives you a faint idea what it must be like.

Is there *any* word on how they kept KPH alive in the suit in Puerto Vallarta?

Yeah I'll check out that video. So I guess the best answer is just suck it up and deal with it. We dont costume to be comfortable :eek:

Who needs to "diet" and "work out" when you got a predator suit? :eek:

YO word to that.

And you don't need a Predator suit to sweat like that. So far I've been working in 30*C/ 86*F+ heat and I've been sweatin bucketz.
Call it training for the suit which I'll wear to China Joy Con in August. I think I'll build the zipper under the cod piece idea. Just in case ;)

Good tips here and keep 'em coming cuz I'm new to wearing a fully latex suit as well.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back