Headphone build help.

Amazing Jayman

Hello everyone!!

My name is Jason I am new to the forums.
I am a huge steampunk guy. Most of my builds are of that nature and never really got into prop building.
However I have been really wanting to build a set of headphones (working headphones) that are just like the Headphones the Tank wears in the movie The Matrix. I have not been able to pull up any good pictures or reference photos of any kind.
I am a huge Adam Savage fan and in a lot of his build videos on tested he speak very highly about how amazing these forums are for that type of thing.
So here I am asking if there is anyone who can help me out with some reference photos.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with this.
And from what i've seen so far these forums seem like an amazing community and I'm very glad I made the decision to become a part of it.

The Microphone boom looks an awful lot like that.
I'm sure it a modified version of something similar to that. If not the set. which is why I have been trying so hard to find reference photos of the prop in the movie.
Other than older aviation/military headsets the closest I found to the mic boom with a newer headphone was the Blackshark headphones from razer.
I think the Mic boom is going to be the easiest part of this build.
The actual ear pieces and headset itself is what I am having trouble finding clear pictures of.
Thank again for your help though I might look in to getting a pair of those possibly to use for the build thank you.

Welcome to the RPF!

I agree that the boom would be the easiest part. If you are going for a steampunk look, I would recommend making it out of brass rods with possibly leather strips to hold the microphone wire. Regarding the earpieces, my personal preference is for cups instead of earbuds. You can cover the ear cups with leather or even use small wooden bowls to cover anything that looks too contemporary.

Yeah I still am not 100% sure if I am going to go steampunk with it or not.
Like I said I do nothing but steampunk builds and I was thinking of making this be my first movie accurate (or as accurate as I can) build.
I really love the way they look in the movie. Just a little insight into my life I loved this movie so much I named my daughter Trinity. Honest to god.
So I am pretty sure I want to make this my first none steampunk build.
However if I can't get a really good reference picture of the Head strap and all I might just go with using the movie prop as inspiration to make a somewhat similar pair of headphones. typeomega Thank you that is a great side picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow guys thank you so much for all the help so far some pretty good pictures.
blue2k yeah those look pretty good but the boom is definitely pretty different the head strap and earbuds look pretty similar though thank you for the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back