He-man Toy/Comic Style Power Sword

Maul

I was going to wait and debut this when it was a little further along, but figured why not go ahead and do it now. The journey is half the fun, right? :cool

This has been a long time coming for me. I've wanted a good version of the Power Sword since I was about 3 pretty much. I actually started one of these about 10 years ago, while I was in college. Same basic idea, but it was made completely from clay, and was much more freehand. Needless to say, it didn't turn out very well. For this one I wanted to ensure symmetry as much as possible. You can basically divide it in half lengthwise and widthwise, and get four quadrants. I figured I'd make half of it, mold, cast twice, and then joing together to try and at least save some work from one side to other. I cut a profile template out of 1/8" Masonite, screwed that down to backing boards, then glued green floral foam onto that. I made another template out of 1"x 6" that had the curve of the thickness of the sword that I wanted. On the bottom of it, I screwed a piece of the same Masonite to get it raised off the backing board the same amount as the sword, then pass the template over the foam until that lip meets the Masonite under the sword. That should ensure pretty good symmetry on both sides. I'll get a picture of it later and I'm sure it will make a lot more sense. I carved the foam down a little lower than what the template would hit it at, then sealed with some fiberglass resin. I know floral foam isn't really the most ideal kind to use for this, but hey, I had some laying around. :) I first tried coating it with drywall mud, which worked ok, except I would end up finding some soft spots from where the foam would move under the hardened resin. I didn't use any mat with the resin, to try and keep it as clean as possible, so in some areas it wasn't as solid as it needed to be. I just cut those areas out, re-fiberglassed, and then just started bondoing from there, rather than drywall mud. At first, I was holding the sandpaper on by hand, which just didn't work for long. I then started clamping the sandpaper to it, which also didn't work too well. Then it hit me, adhesive backed sandpaper, DUH. That's sped things up tremendously. It's been through many rounds of mudding and sanding, and still has many more to go. Once this part is done, I'll add the raised area in the middle, side guards, and handle. I left them off for now since it was easier to get to the inside of the curves, and I haven't decided exactly how they'll look yet since there are so many variations. Also, the bottom is going to change a good bit, so pay no attention to it right now.

It's still very rough right now, but hopefully you guys can see the potential. I'll get more pics up soon if anyone's interested. It will look a lot better when it's in primer so it's one solid color, lol.

Thanks for looking!

P1120237.jpg

P1120231.jpg

P1120234.jpg

Thanks!

Here's some pics from when I started. First, the Masonite template:

P1110078.jpg

Then the floral foam glued on:

2011-10-07_14-30-58_290.jpg

The other template, and how I'm using it:

P1120243.jpg

P1120244.jpg

And finally a now shot, stuck in mudding and sanding purgatory :rolleyes. Mud, sand. Mud, sand. Mud, sand. A couple more rounds and all the low spots should be gone:

P1120245.jpg

Last edited:
That's looking very nice!! I bet it took you ages to do the sanding. Keep up the good work!!!!!

You could say that. :)

Thanks a lot guys! Still plugging away, just nothing visually different enough for pictures really. I hope to have another update soon!

I saw on He-man.org they were opening a gallery for Lou Scheimer , a fonder of Filmation, anyhoo, they were using replica power swords to cut the ribbon. You too could own a replica of a sword duplicated from one use in an 80's thanksgiving parade. It looks like the sword is Vac metalized resin, and it can be all yours for $1200..... I know you can do a better job :)

Still here, believe it or not. :rolleyes With the holidays and other stuff, just didn't have a lot of time to mess with it a lot. It's coming along pretty well now, finally starting to look presentable:

P1130711.jpg

P1130712.jpg

Pay no attention to the split near the bottom. The sides down there will get fattened up and addressed when I add the hand guards, so I'll take care of the split then. Also, the lines from the sides going into the middle aren't finished all the way to the center, but the raised area will cover that up so I'm not worried about it. I planned on wet sanding and polishing it up to 1500 or 2000, but I was stupid and used a piece of MDF as the main board, Also, the Masonite doesn't like water either, so I have to be really careful. It'll mean having to do it twice, but I'll probably just wait and do the super high grits when i get the two sides cast and together. There's still a few tiny things here and there that need fixing, but it's getting there. Now to add the raised part. I may photoshop up some hand guards soon too, just to see which style exactly I'm going to use.

I've been working more in Photoshop lately than on the sword itself. Trying to decide which direction to go with the crossguard. Here's two ways I'm leaning right now. The one on the left is inspired by the old yellow and black light up sword which is a style that I've always kind of liked. The one on the right is obviously more the original toy, traditional version. Any thoughts?

Silouhettes.jpg

Actually, yes! I molded it this weekend. It was a quick and dirty fiberglass mold, but it should be fine for the two pulls I need out of it. I honestly got a bogged down for a little bit. I used foamies to add the raised section in the middle. I figured it would be a quick way to get a uniform thickness, and it would conform to the curves nicely. Yes and no. I kinda had to stretch it a little to make it lay right in some areas, so it ended up being slightly thinner in that area, etc. Then the foam just doesn't like to hold a small amount of bondo on it's edge when trying to sharpen up and finesse things. After many tries and beating my head against the wall for a bit, I figured I'd go ahead and get it molded and cast in a harder form and then just go ahead and clean things up there. Looking back, I've probably made this a lot harder than it had to be, but live and learn I guess. I would probably use different materials if I had it to do again, but I used what I had around for the most part. I hope to get to casts done this week so I can finally see it double-sided. :)

Forgive the crappy cell phone pics:

2012-04-22141938.jpg

2012-04-22155340.jpg

Thanks!

One done and out of the mold. The one on the right will come out tomorrow and then time to trim!

P1150703.jpg

This is looking awesome. I have just started getting into Fiberglass molds and I always see the Red Lining what is that and would you find it in a hardware store that sells Fiberglass or is it a specialty thing?

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get it together and make it really start looking like something. :lol

This is looking awesome. I have just started getting into Fiberglass molds and I always see the Red Lining what is that and would you find it in a hardware store that sells Fiberglass or is it a specialty thing?

The pictures make it look more red, but it's actually orange "Tooling Gelcoat." It's better for making molds than regular gelcoat as it's stronger and can handle more heat cycles from the fiberglass kicking off, etc. So it's better for a mold that's going to be used for multiple pulls. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to get it at a specialty shop. You can find it here, second from the bottom: Polyester Resins . With only needing two pulls from the mold, I could have easily used regular gelcoat, but I didn't have any. You definitely wouldn't typically use it for the parts themselves as it's pretty much a waste, but again, using what's on hand is still cheaper than ordering more at the moment. I used the last bit of regular, white gelcoat on an Imperial Guard helmet a while back. I didn't have enough so I ended up mixing a little of the orange with it, expecting a Creamsicle-ish color, but nope. PINK! It was pretty humorous to see a pink Imperial Guard when it came out of the mold. The Emperor would be most displeased to say the least. The tooling gelcoat also comes in black, the idea being that often people use white gelcoat for their parts. With the high contrast, it's easy to see if you've missed any spots and get a feel for how thick it is when applying the white over either of those colors. Orange on orange makes it a lot tougher. :facepalm I'm certainly no pro, but if I can help you out in any way, just let me know!

Thanks for the replies!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back