HCG Nostromo review

superjedi

Sr Member
Hi all,
This afternoon I received my Nostromo display model from Hollywood Collectibles Group. This is a piece I've been interested in getting for quite a while, and until recently, it was only listed on their site as a pre-order. But I happened to check their site this past Tuesday and it showed in stock. So I pulled the trigger and it arrived today!

First impressions: it's huge! It's listed on the HCG site as 26 x 17 inches, and that is pretty accurate.

20210730_155517.jpg

It's also heavy! The shipping weight is 41 pounds, and almost every bit of that is in the ship. It's solid resin... solid.

I've always loved the Nostromo, but I'll admit I'm not super duper knowledgeable about every minute detail of the ship. That being said, it appears to be very accurate. The overall sculpt and surface detail is really crisp and well done. Engraved lines are straight and not overly deep, and the add-on plating looks good for the scale.

20210730_155432.jpg

There are numerous plant-on pieces such as the engine flaps and small stabilizing braces, and they're all nicely molded and the fit is excellent.

20210730_155326.jpg

The smaller details like the probes on the nose, the numerous antennae, and the landing gear, all came separate from the main ship. They all attach with small magnets, which I feel is a great way to ensure they won't come loose.

20210730_155600.jpg 20210730_154913.jpg

As far as the finish goes, I'd describe the weathering as light/subtle. There are a few techniques that were used including dry brushing, and washes for some of the darker portions. I think it's pretty effective for this scale, and it doesn't vary a whole lot from the pictures on the HCG site. If I have one small gripe, it's that they could have used a bit more Earthy or rusty shading, especially around the main engines. But overall they did a nice job.

20210730_154853.jpg 20210730_155047.jpg 20210730_155304.jpg

The ship arrives in three main parts: the main hull with the rear engines, and the big boxy port and starboard engines. Plus the smaller accessories. Everything came well packed in a Styrofoam box, with the three large pieces in plastic bags, and the small parts wrapped in paper.

20210730_155747.jpg

There's also a nice black display base with a metal rod that fits into a metal insert in the bottom of the hull.

20210730_155731.jpg 20210730_155707.jpg

I ordered their Exclusive version, so there is also a 6 x 4 inch metal plaque.

20210730_155454.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the Nostromo! Having a model in such a big scale makes for a really impressive display piece.

20210730_155517.jpg 20210730_155414.jpg 20210730_154807.jpg

Thanks for looking! Now, I've got to investigate a strange distress signal...

Here is a LEGO version of the SNARK

From

Thanks for the post with the pictures and narrative superjedi. Big is good for this model and the detail appears excellent to me. Nostromo’s space tug concept is great creativity which, for this movie, was non-stop.

This looks great mate! Appreciate the pictures as they are the first in hand pics i've seen. I have been waiting for this to be released as well but i don't know much about the accuracy either. I've never had a HCG piece but this one looks really good. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review of the Nostromo. I have purchased one and am waiting for it to be delivered. Not having any pictures (other than those provided by HCG) I was a bit nervous about what to expect until now. My only regret is not being able to add lighting. Still, I am looking for to my purchase coming soon. Thanks again!

Hi again! I wanted to update this thread with some new pics.
After looking at the pics from the Propstore site, it was pretty apparent that the big filming model was notably lighter in color than the HCG replica. After a few days of internal debate, I decided to do a repaint on mine. :oops: It was certainly a big decision, but I wanted it to more closely resemble the "real" ship.
There is some degree of shading visible on the HCG version and i wanted to try and keep some of that if I could. I did a little research online and found that the company Montana makes a range of transparent colors. I ordered two cans of their Transparent White (when it arrived, the color on the can is actually called Air White). I tested it out on some scrap styrene and thought that it would work well for the effect I wanted. It's basically a really low-build white. Spraying in a few quick passes gave me just the look I was going for.
I first tested it on one of the model's landing gear parts. Here's how it came out.

20210811_145525.jpg

It lightened the overall tone while still allowing some of the original weathering to show through. I then added some weathering of my own.

20210811_145626.jpg

I proceeded to paint the entire ship, which took about 1 1/2 full size spray cans! Since the model assembles with magnets, it made it much easier to paint.
Once I had lightened the ship to the degree I wanted, I went back with two or three light grayish and gray-blue colors from Vallejo Model Air and added some subtle panel details by hand. I followed the Propstore pictures as a guide.
After adding the panel details, I finished things off with a couple of shades of pigment powders, again in a medium gray and a gray-blue.

Here are some overall shots of the repainted model compared to the stock version.

20210828_211645.jpg 20210828_211442.jpg

20210829_074603.jpg 20210828_210800.jpg

Here are some closer shots showing the panel detailing.

20210828_170352.jpg 20210828_170325.jpg 20210828_170542.jpg 20210828_170834.jpg 20210828_170339.jpg

I'm really happy with the way it came out. It was a lot of work to do this, but think it more closely resembles the filming model now.
Thanks for looking!

I think you did a really nice job on the repaint. I had not considered doing a respray but your efforts have made me think twice about. My Nostromo is literally arriving today. One of the coolest scenes of the Nostromo was when the engines lit up. Any ideas on how to achieve some type of lighting effect without adding actual LED's? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Star Lord.
As far as lighting goes, I really have no idea. Once you receive yours you'll see that it's pretty solid, and I'm not sure how you might accomplish the engine effect.

superjedI,
Thanks for the updated pictures of your build. I have always liked the Nostromo‘s unique “big rig“ tractor trailer concept and the way Alien showed off the model makers art. I have spent many hours studying its available 3 view drawings. The detail in my opinion is excellent and the size does it justice.

Star Lord,
Good luck putting your model together. Send pictures as time permits. Time to watch Alien again and particularly the Nostromo shots and it’s trailing chemical refinery. These large space ship models maKe the movies very special.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back