HCG Limited Lothlorien Bow!!! in hand!! pics!!

The pic in xena10ares post had a flash on it, making it appear lighter than it really is. The ones close up were taken in natural light outside.

I've always really loved the vine design on the bow. I studied those prop pictures in extreme detail when I was sculpting the design on the bow I got from Bowstick. I'm really happy with how it turned out and glad it's found a happy home with ihs. :thumbsup

Cool bow.

I'm guessing that as it's made from resin it's only for display and not suitable to use?

I do archery and it'd cool to turn up and shoot with a bow like that.

Nah. Well, that one photo looks similar, but the rest don't match up.

There are other pics of the original prop with the lighting being very close to the lighting Arwyniel took some of her pics with, and the sculpted details definitely are too dark compared to the original. They're almost charcoal while the original was off-white.

hate to disagree but the top left pic, is IDENTICAL in color, flash or no flash, which if it does have a flash that just shows that these bows do change in color depending on lighting. in movie makeing what do they do? they add lights when needed while other times legolas was in pure daylight. can you find more than 2 pics where the bow looks ecaxtly the same in the movie??? probably not. did orlando have a second bow? of course. so there is always the chance the one used more in the movie could be much more worn and dirty than one not used so much. so how do we know which prop they were given???? even though we have pictures of the prop store of london's orlando bow it doesnt mean that is the bow that HCG cast it from that one...weta also still has a bow as well. So i am not trying to be picky i just think they did what they could, they matched it to the prop they have and i believe it probably looks spot on to the one they were given, and i also believe that the bow does change in lighting! we may never know! also one more thing.....i gaurantee more than one person made these replicas, so the paint jobs on these bows probably differ to a point....so J. your bow may look different from Ar. and my bow may look different from both of yours....i truly think its all in the lighting and painting techniques.....

Yeah, lighting is always something to consider.

And hey, we both ordered our bows from the same dealer, Xena10Ares! Just realized that.

So yes, I concede that you're right that the bow looks like the screen-used one when it's got bright direct lighting on it.

I still believe the paint on the sculpted part is not correct, but not as incorrect as I thought it was. Looked at more pics of the original, and from different angles and lighting you are right, it does change the look and color of the thing. From every single angle and lighting and screencap from the films though, the sculpted bits never look dark. Greyish at times, but never actually dark.

The main thing I think is off is that the replica's paint on the sculpted bits looks like it's metallic. The original never had that...That sheen of something metallic on any of its parts.

And I hope there isn't too much variation between bows, as HCG or whatever company they outsourced to had to pick a specific paint brand and mixture for the finish on the bows. One being silver/charcoal while another being whitish on the handle isn't likely.

Last edited:
well know that i think of it, i feel like somewhere on one of the dvd's they said that the bow was painted with some sort of "pearl" color, well not the entire bow, but the leaf designs.... which if that is true,HCG clearly did not paint it a pearl color....

the main reason i mentioned the variation in painting was because of the difference from there website photos compared to arwyn's photos....which again could be different painting, different lighting???? who knows??????????

If it is off a bit in color, this is still one of the sweetest items Ever made available to LOTR collectors. cast off screen used is as close as you can get without spending a gazillion bucks for the original bow. :):thumbsup

Even the real swords made by the bestest smithy in the world have minor variations..and those will cost you $8000 :sick

..Time to do what replica prop makers do..get some pearl paint and fix it if it bothers you :lol

Congrats, to all the owners of this fine Lothlorien Bow Replica! :cheers

~BB

you are sooo right bilbo!!! i do believe this to be THE best replica made for LOTR!!!! first i think it is the MOST beautiful weapon from the movies (with eowyns sword in second...haha) second, the true Legolas fans have been WAITING and SEARCHING for this prop forever!!!!!

and to Arwyn and Jamanticus.... i am glad that the three of us have such strong thoughts towards this replica, and that we are discussing it so passionatly because to me that just proves that the right people are getting these bows!

so arwyn, i am wondering, does the bow stay on the plaque very good? it looks almost as if it would slip and slide and scrape up the bow? i love the look of the plaque, and i love the old eaten away metal looking brackets.....im just very curious about how it is held!

I *just* got done repacking it up. :lol Two brackets already come installed on the plaque. The last bracket is separate and the instructions tell you how to put it on. I didn't read it because it will probably be a loooong time before I get to hang it up (with everything else that's waiting as well.) :unsure

personally I have gone off the bow, and my pride of place is taken up by the legolas daggers along with scabbards, though I did have the arwen sword on my mantlepiece until I removed the fireplace so now I need a new place for it to stand :(

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back