HBO's House of the Dragon

Not really. But then it took me until about 2020 before I even got around to watching Game of Thrones and ended up liking it, so the same thing may happen with this one.

I'm done with ASOIAF. Martin has no intention of ever finishing the books. Why should I care about a prequel to a story that will never be finished?
I hope you're wrong. I'd hate for season 8 to be the only ending we ever get. I want to know how George intended it to end.

He doesn't "intend" anything. He's a lazy writer who is easily distracted by shiny things.
I haven't read them, but it's my understanding that the first 4 seasons of the show are pretty faithful to the books.
And if that's the case, then he absolutely had intentions, because those first 4 seasons are a rich, finely woven tapestry of characters and themes, with a lot of foreshadowing of what should have been, if the showrunners had had a brain between the two of them.
I still think the first 4 seasons are some of the best television ever made. Unfortunately the last season made the entire series unwatchable, because none of the plot points or character arcs that Martin set up were realized.

I hope you're wrong. I'd hate for season 8 to be the only ending we ever get. I want to know how George intended it to end.

I think the major issue is GRRM did tell D&D the ending of ASOIAF. Unless GRRM decides to change the ending (something he mentioned in the past he doesnt like to do due to the build up in foreshadowing), the ending and major plot points of the books should be similar to that of the show (Bran becomes King, Jon Snow is the son of Lyanna, Jon kills Danerys, Danerys breaks bad). The path to get there should be very different (the show killed off the Dorne plotline, Barristan is alive, Stannis is alive and sets a trap for Ramsay) but the major touchpoints should be the same.

As a result, the big surprises and twists are essentially spoiled by the show which likely has disincentivized Martin from finishing the books.

I think the major issue is GRRM did tell D&D the ending of ASOIAF. Unless GRRM decides to change the ending (something he mentioned in the past he doesnt like to do due to the build up in foreshadowing), the ending and major plot points of the books should be similar to that of the show (Bran becomes King, Jon Snow is the son of Lyanna, Jon kills Danerys, Danerys breaks bad). The path to get there should be very different (the show killed off the Dorne plotline, Barristan is alive, Stannis is alive and sets a trap for Ramsay) but the major touchpoints should be the same.

As a result, the big surprises and twists are essentially spoiled by the show which likely has disincentivized Martin from finishing the books.
Or, Martin threw them some curveballs to see if they were paying attention, they weren't, and ran with what he told them.
I have a hard time believing ANY of what happened in season 8 was what Martin intended. It all seemed to come out of left field, solely meant for casuals to ooh and ahh at in tap house reaction videos. Literally NONE of Martin's foreshadowing came to fruition.

Me too. I love the books. But realistically, I don't see him finishing it. The last book to be published was in 2011, with two more volumes to go. The dude is like 73 years old already. Unless he drastically picks up the pace there is no way it gets completed.
I haven't read them, but it's my understanding that the first 4 seasons of the show are pretty faithful to the books.
And if that's the case, then he absolutely had intentions, because those first 4 seasons are a rich, finely woven tapestry of characters and themes, with a lot of foreshadowing of what should have been, if the showrunners had had a brain between the two of them.
I still think the first 4 seasons are some of the best television ever made. Unfortunately the last season made the entire series unwatchable, because none of the plot points or character arcs that Martin set up were realized.
I think that its a fair statement to say that the first 4 or maybe 5 seasons were faithful to the books. To your point about the characters, themes, and how rich they were, I totally agree and it was an important part of why I love the books so much. I will admit that his complicated plot lines are probably a real pain to plot out and keep straight when writing. With that in mind, I hate to be too critical of the guy because it has to be a ton of work. Sadly I think the fame/celebrity that the show brought to Martin provided too much of a distraction. Again, I can't be too critical, it would probably distract me as well. Much of the progress that Martin has made for The Winds of Winter seems to consist of material that was written for A Dance with Dragons but he decided to cut for length. He didn't get much new writing done on the book until Covid lockdowns. This info comes from Martin's blog posts and interviews.
I have a hard time believing ANY of what happened in season 8 was what Martin intended. It all seemed to come out of left field, solely meant for casuals to ooh and ahh at in tap house reaction videos. Literally NONE of Martin's foreshadowing came to fruition.
Yeah the books are filled with plot points that the show never adapted. I'm with you. There is no way the books could end up with where the show did. Especially, when you consider that there are only two books remaining. Well let me correct myself. Its possible. But only if Martin goes low effort and gives the books the D&D treatment.

I think the major issue is GRRM did tell D&D the ending of ASOIAF. Unless GRRM decides to change the ending (something he mentioned in the past he doesnt like to do due to the build up in foreshadowing), the ending and major plot points of the books should be similar to that of the show ...
LA LA LA LA LA ! BOOK-SPOILERS!
Please employ proper spoiler-hygiene and use the appropriate tags.

I'm a book-fan first and still haven't watched anything past season 5 of the Game of Thrones because I had indeed expected GRRM to tell the showrunners how he had intended A Song of Ice and Fire to continue from book 6 onwards.

Back on topic: I didn't even know House of the Dragon was coming already. Because it is a prequel I don't expect it to contain any spoilers, so I might start watching it the first one or two episodes have got good reviews.

That's because the first couple of seasons had actual books to follow. Martin was supposed to keep writing so they'd have more to do, but when he didn't, because he's a lazy little jerk, they had to do their own thing and we know what happens when Hollywood doesn't have guidance.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back