Haystack's 1/48th Y-Wing Kit

Well I accidentally ruined my original cockpit master while I was trying to adjust the shape a little.
Oh well! The new one is looking better, sleeker than the original anyway so it's not the end of the world.
Still needs a lot of work though!

Regarding the last cockpit cover picture: probably I'm criticising a work in progress but the side windows look arched at the top and bottom. Was it like that on the studio model?

Regarding the last cockpit cover picture: probably I'm criticising a work in progress but the side windows look arched at the top and bottom. Was it like that on the studio model?

No you're quite right, but it's to do with the curvature angle. I believe the original models' cockpits were vacuum-formed, but as I'm working in flat sheet I'm thinking about the angels as I go along, once the windows have been filed and planed with a scalpel they should look spot on :)

Continuing on with the master pattern;

I started to build the cockpit head today,
it needs more shaping and curving but it's well on the way to how I want it to look.
The Milliput on the inside of the lower hull is for the missile tubes; I roughly cut their shape out and I plan to drill proper tubes for them-
hopefully they'll cast okay once I've made the moulds

I just realized that I didn't have good 'vetted' basic dimensions (length & wingspan) to use when interpreting the various references I have (including Matteo's, which don't have a scale on them other than 'print at 100%' - yikes!) Anyone have something for this (either ILM model size or "real" size, I'm game either way...)

Thanks again for the inspiration, Hair!
Regards, Robert

Although working from another model kit for this kind of documentation is usually a dicey method, I've decided to use the Bandai kit as a reference, given their proven accuracy. It also helps that the instruction sheets include some good plan views to help scale out my own working drawings.

Haystack, awaiting further progress in the new year.

Regards, Robert

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back