have to use ultracal ????

Philby

Need help .........

wondering if you have to use ultracal 30 or if you can just do a plaster cast ????
i know you lose alot of detail without it,.......but wondered if you HAVE TO ,.....

let me know,.......

P

have to use it for what?
what is the intended outcome? for some things you can just use plaster bandages.

have to use it for what?
what is the intended outcome? for some things you can just use plaster bandages.
yea i know but if i did maybe a inch thick mudlayer,.....then bandages do you think i'll get a " decent " mold ??
don't have play money right now but i have plaster so ,.....

oh and what i'm doing is probably just molding plastic armor pieces for now,.....
i'll have to ultracal the sculpt of the head of course,.....

ok if you use plaster of paris the mold will only get a few pulls before it's shot. plus it could break easier. yes the detail will be less.

but here is the bigger problem. if you plan to cast plastic armour you need to make a latex or silicone mold. the rule for molding/casting is
soft mold- hard cast
hard mold- soft cast.
if you try to pull a hard cast out of a hard mold it is mostl likely going to lock in. and you will have to break your mold to get it out.

right on mister,.....
thanks for takin time to answer my dumb questions,.....
i don't really know anyone aside from on here that even knows this stuff so ,.....

appreciate the breakdown ,......

so ok bare with me,....
soft mold ( algenade , ultracal 30 ) resin cast ??
hard mold ( just plaster ) latex pull ???

so if my sculpt is water based clay and it needs to be damp to mold it,.....can i just use plaster to do that ???
sorry for so many questions buddy ,....
remember i'm a learner and i only have to be told once ,..=) ha ha ha

ok by soft mold i mean latex or silicone. and you would cast fiberglass or polyurethane resin out of it.
so all the bios that are plastic are cast out of soft molds. silicone usually.
alginate is also a soft mold but normally only to pull plaster casts out of. like for making face casts since the mold is a one time use.

a hard mold --plaster or fiberglass, plastipaste, or any hard resin will pull a soft cast out.(latex or silicone)
all the latex heads are pulled out of plaster.

now for molding a water based clay, it is not necessary to have it wet, just don't let it dry out. as long as you have been keeping it damp it will be fine.

awesome dude,.....thanks again,....

i'm gettin a little spoiled by the lair,......
you guys all help me skip past mistakes and fill me in with what you've learned over time,...
and i do appreciate it,......

cheers buddy i owe ya a coke,...........

if your sculpting a part such as a shoulder bell in clay, id suggest grabbing some Bondo from walmart or parts store.

lay down your latex or silicone over the sculpt.then come back and create the jacket in Bondo.its lighter and can be slightly flexible when you pull the resin created part out.( assuming your making resin parts)

if your wanting to create a solid mold to Vacuumform the parts,simply set your clay mold onto the vac table and use clay to make it solid around the bottom. Vac the plastic right over the clay mold. if your created it right and it doesnt "lock" down,you can pull out the clay and now fill your plastic with plaster or ultracal.once the plaster is dry you will likely need to break it out of the plastic because the plaster will expand tight inthe plastic shell.but you now have a good solid copy of your original clay mold in which to make more copies.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back