Have Gun, Will Travel Costume Build

tk6214

Hello, I'm currently researching the clothing to make a Paladin costume from the show Have Gun, Will Travel. (old but I got hooked). I am currently looking and have no clue where to find the shirt that he wears.
I currently have the pants (easy) and the chess piece that goes on the holster, a cheap six shooter and the shirt are the hard bits.
links would be greatly appreciated

One of my favorites....Good luck on the project.

Guns012.jpg

Doug Drexler has been posting a lot of Palladin stuff on his blog The Drex Files lately, that would be a great place to start. He has been very busy lately working on BSG: Blood and Chrome but he does answer questions when he can.

This is a decent price for a replica, but the barrel is a little too short. His gun is more of the cavalry style than the peacemaker. If they still made decent toys I would never pay for replicas. Koliga: USA Model 1873 Western Revolver Replica
This is a good site Ive delt with them before. Thier shipping is only $9 per order-- no matter how big.

Last edited:
Sorry, But I have had no luck on the shirt. I used a silk and wool blend shirt with flap pockets..vary 1950's style. It will have to do for now. Im not sure what price range you are aiming at for the gun, but if you have not found one yet let me know.

View attachment 62429

View attachment 62430

View attachment 62431

Well the Gun I was hoping to spend 50-60 on, i have the Knight piece for the holster already. what pattern did you use for the shirt?

Well the Gun I was hoping to spend 50-60 on, i have the Knight piece for the holster already. what pattern did you use for the shirt?
I baught it at a vintage store..No pattern. I just found a new one that is almost the same but made of rayon which is lighter. Im selling my gear to make room for other projects I spent $120 on the hat, 120$ on the gun belt, $25 on the knight concho, $20 on the concho hat band, $12 on the mustache, $28 on the shirt and never even got a good gun. Im not advertising, but Id like it if you could check out my photos and give me some feedback. Its hard to get good opinions when it is such an obscure topic.eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I know this is an old thresd, but if you haven't found a shirt you prefer and aren't too picky, try a US Navy Winter Working Blue, uniform shirt. They call them blue but they're really black in color. They have the look you want, you'd just have to change the buttons. I used a couple to make my Luke Skywalker New Jedi shirt form Return of the Jedi with. You can usually find a couple on e bay or if you have any surplus stores around, check them out. I found my western holster and belt at a gun show in a bin of holsters at one of the sellers tables. It was brown so I dyed it. It was also pretty reasonable, about 25 or 30 dollars if I recall. That was a while ago though. I also had to convert it for a lefty, but that's another story.

I know this is an old thresd, but if you haven't found a shirt you prefer and aren't too picky, try a US Navy Winter Working Blue, uniform shirt. They call them blue but they're really black in color. They have the look you want, you'd just have to change the buttons. I used a couple to make my Luke Skywalker New Jedi shirt form Return of the Jedi with. You can usually find a couple on e bay or if you have any surplus stores around, check them out. I found my western holster and belt at a gun show in a bin of holsters at one of the sellers tables. It was brown so I dyed it. It was also pretty reasonable, about 25 or 30 dollars if I recall. That was a while ago though. I also had to convert it for a lefty, but that's another story.

Dude can you link a picture? that is awesome!

Another reply to an old thread, but if you still haven't found a Paladin holster that you're happy with, check out the one offered by Cochise Leather:
Western Leather Gunbelt Holster - The Paladin
It looks really cool, has the same detailing as Alfonso (who supposedly made the original, and their asking price shows they're capitalizing on that), and side by side with some of the more expensive offerings you really can't tell them apart.

Dino.

Here's a bit of a mind bender... During the course of the series, has anyone ever gotten a "decent" look at the cufflinks Paladin wears when he's in his Carlton Hotel Gentlemen's clothing? Every "still" I've managed to find with Richard Boone in that outfit either has his cuff with their links hidden from view, or doesn't show the shirt cuffs at all. And I haven't been able to find any of the episodes on Youtube that show his cuffs - when he's not wearing his frock coat - that show his cuffs (or their links) clearly enough to get a screen grab from.

And I know there are very few color publicity photos of Paladin in his Carlton Hotel attire, but does anyone know about the color of his bow ties? I've seen a decent one of a blue tie (navy with slightly lighter blue filled-in circles on it), a paisley (sort of a silver jacquard, with some tan, gold, and a hint of blue in it), and a red one (sort of looks like a "tie-dyed" blotchy pattern with the red and white, but that's about all). With all of the episodes being in B&W it's nearly impossible to tell what his ties were unless you can spot the ones I've mentioned from the color publicity photos I mentioned (which were mostly from old TV Guide covers).

Any ideas on those cuff links or ties?

Dino.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back