Haunted Mansion Tightrope Girl, Belle, and Jem (Oh, and Hello! Newbie intro here)

Morrigoon

Hi everyone! Just joined the forum, looks pretty awesome. I don't have a lot of film reproductions under my belt yet (never did finish that Amidala dress, alas), but I thought I'd introduce myself with my Disneyland tribute, the Tightrope Girl from one of the stretching portraits:

TightropeGirlStretchingPortrait1.jpg

Currently working on a couple theatrical replicas for Halloween: the monkey from the Masquerade scene in Phantom of the Opera, and Christine's Wedding Gown from the final scene of same. I'll try to post pics when they're completed. And when I'm done with all that, I'm hoping to get a couple weeping angel (adult and baby) costumes together for Gallifrey One next year.

Oh, I suppose my Beauty and the Beast costume counts as a movie costume...

IMG00865.jpg

And TV's Jem:

Jem1.jpg

A lot of the other costuming I do are not necessarily replicas from specific films/shows, but if you want to know how to tell an 1860's bustle dress from an 1880's bustle, well, you know who to ask ;)

I look forward to learning more about prop creation and working with other materials like silicone molding, etc. I see a lot of great threads here on the forum and look forward to getting to know you guys.

Fantastic costumes :)
I love the tightrope girl.

Who are you portraying in your avatar?
I am guessing Trully Scrumptious, or Penelope Pitstop ;)
I am really looking forward to the Phantom Monkey Music Box :)

And welcome to the RPF!!!

Thanks!

Actually, my avatar is no one specific. It's an 1890's dress I made for my birthday tea. I love the idea of making a Truly Scrumptious dress though!

The monkey isn't done yet (I know, I know, getting down to the wire here...) but it's progressing nicely:

When it was still in pieces (note one sleeve is inside out here)
MonkeyPieces.jpg

And current state
MonkeyProgress.jpg

Still working on making the belt, and need to add detail to both vest and belt. Also my kid needs to grow half a foot, LOL. When I started this costume, I anticipated my daughter growing by more than she has, so instead of going to the knees, the monkey pants come just above the ankles.

Supposed to look like this: View 1, View 2, View 3

As you can tell, I'm getting sloppy as time is running out. I skipped a lining for the vest and just turned the edges. But it'll be getting sparkly trim, so in the end it'll look fine.

In other news, here's the inspiration for my own costume. Yards and yards of lace ruffles, FML! ;) Thankfully, that part's done and I'm working on a cuirasse bodice now.

I love these (especially Haunted Mansion, as that's one of my favorites in the prop world) and welcome to the RPF. Always nice to see other women around. :) -Ali

Never got a really great picture of the finished monkey costume (funny, trying to pose a non-walking infant to show off a costume... gee, I wonder why that hasn't gone so well? ;))

Anyway, here it is:
KiddieKandids21_zpse981be6f.jpg

The headpiece:
MonkeyHeaddressAlmostDone.jpg

IMG_3309_zpsbf334b97.jpg

Here she is in costume (along with me as Mouseketeer - yeah, made the pleated skirt (OMG, never do that, do you have any idea how many pleats it takes to get around 52" hips??? I seriously have to buy a Perfect Pleater before I would EVER attempt that again!)
IMG_3316_zps8fd9cd06.jpg

Not the greatest pic, and she's just wearing the vest without the furry jacket underneath, but it gives you the best view of the silhouette actually resembling the monkey dancer:
IMG_3319_zps4cdc369d.jpg

IMG_3422_zps946b54cb.jpg

As a non-costuming aside, here was my Dalek pumpkin:

IMG_3415_zpsd63eec66.jpg

IMG_3425_zpsc3167a5e.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back