Haunted Mansion: Mister Sewell tombstone

hdtheater

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Need a little help trying to figure out scale on the Mister Sewell tombstone in the background. I am trying to adjust for the distance.

IMG_1385.jpg

I believe that the Brother Claude in the foreground is about 36"-40" tall. My estimate is that Mister Sewell would be about 26" tall, judging by the leaves and the bushes just behind it. What is throwing me is the metal fence behind the bushes. That has to be at least 48" tall. That would make the tombstone about 18" tall.

IMG_1386.jpg

I don't have to be super accurate, but I want to keep the scale as close to accurate as I can. I know that Disney does a lot of fixed perspective and the ground is taller in the wait queue to give an appearance of greater distance.

I guess the real questions isn't, "How tall is it?"; but "How tall is supposed to look like?"

Here is the rendering of the design as it is now.

MisterSewell.jpg

I carved one of these today at about 36" tall and it was just too big when put along side the other tombstones I have done.

Thanks,

-Eric

I don't think your 26" estimate is that far off... It looks to be a minimum of 3' in front of the fence, so factor that into your scale compared to the fence. Maybe 22"?

If you have more picture you could check if the width seems to be same on both stones, Then you could just extrapolate the height from the first stone that you think is 36"-40" tall .

I'll need to dig through some more vacation photos and see if I have some more at different angles.

Thanks,

-Eric

Someone could do what they did to the Boba fett armor along time ago when the measurement was not known.
They taped two laser pointers onto a ruler and matched it up so that you had something like 2 inches apart, Then when taking a picture with the ruler you were able to see the laser dots and knew that it was 2 inches between them. Thus you could extrapolate the rest.

Ok, just got home from the mansion and I did some pretty hard sizing of the Sewell tombstone. It's moved pretty close to the fence so sizing it was pretty easy. It's def. built for forced perspective. up close to the other stones it looks to be about a third smaller.

I split the difference and went with 30" high. Here it is compared to the Master Gracey that I made last year.

100_3194.jpg

Thanks,

-Eric

Got it all painted up the other day.

100_3203.jpg

Next up is Brother Claude.

Thanks for the help in scaling this thing. Disney is a bunch of tricksters! :)

I'm pretty sure that the font used for 'The victim of a dirty duel' is one of the Copperplate Gothic variations if that helps :)

Cool! I'll check it out when I get back to the file. I use whatthefont.com to help identify fonts. I don't remember what I used there.

-Eric

I am making them for my yard display for Halloween.

Also, in the next few weeks, I plan to set up an interest thread and offer them to other members who are interested as well.

-Eric

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back