Haunted Mansion Hatbox Ghost

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by ChickenHaunt, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ChickenHaunt

ChickenHaunt Well-Known Member

20150819-IMG_9819-2_zpsegonqyos.jpg

In tribute to Blaine Gibson's work on Disneyland's Haunted Mansion attraction, I recently went through a process of sculpturally restoring a very sad looking casting of the Hatbox Ghost, which I believe to be descended from the original molds. Here he is all finished and painted.

If you're interested in an in-depth look at how and why I brought it from here to there, including an appreciation of the original work, head on over to my blog (it's a three-parter, and a bit long to repost the whole thing, but I think you all will enjoy skimming though it).

chickenhaunt.blogspot.com/2015/08/my-hatbox-ghost-part-1-sculpting.html

Started with this clay pour (see the photo of the original in the background):

IMG_5321_zpsv1lbw8og.jpg

And brought back all the detail seen in the original photos:

20150818-IMG_9772-2_zpsdmspwcfc.jpg

Apologies if this seems recast-y. It's really just meant as a personal project to honor the original sculpture.

mkotich and ZGarts like this.
  2. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good looking work! Always a fan of the mansion!

3. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Very entertaining, informative, and well written piece.

Wonderful sculptural restoration. It is beautiful to see Mr. Gibson's work as close as we can to how it was originally.

4. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beautiful work! I've worked with the same casting as you, and your cleanup work turned out beautifully. All those lost details are now recovered. Great piece!

5. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic! Love the renewed detail in the piece.

Really interesting blog too.

6. pitchforknumb

pitchforknumb Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

* that's awesome. Great work.

7. ultraman

ultraman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

OH MAN that's awesome lol :cool

8. ChickenHaunt

Thanks guys! Glad some of you found the posts interesting, too.

9. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

This is awesome, well done!

Also, actually quite helpful, for me. My 8-year-old wants to be the Hatbox Ghost for Halloween this year. I haven't seen many kid-sized options out there, so I'll be sculpting a mask for him. This is better reference than I could have ever asked for!

10. ChickenHaunt

Cool Sinned! Looking forward to seeing it!

11. TheRoadToPixar

TheRoadToPixar Member

This is fantastic! Great work!!

What are your thoughts on the new Hatbox Ghost?

12. ChickenHaunt

I think they did a wonderful job with the new one. It pays tribute to the design of the original and updates the effect to the point where it doesn't just work, but it works really well. What impresses me most is the restraint exercised. It would be easy, once you have the face projected, to go overboard with the animation, but it's just enough to give him a little extra life. I hear the face paint job is actually mapped from the photos of the original.

13. TheRoadToPixar

TheRoadToPixar Member

I feel the same way. The whole team that worked on the project really did a great job, and you can tell it was a labor of love. There is a great interview with Daniel Joseph, one of the special effects Imagineers over at the Long Forgotten blog. He talks briefly about how they made a casting from the original '69 plaster tool. I can't believe that was even still around. Interesting stuff.

Once again, great job on the sculpture!

14. DRay1218

DRay1218 Jr Member

Super cool. My 10 year old want to be the hatbox ghost after seeing him in the mansion.

15. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Strooong, prop-fu! Like it! Like it a lot!

-Rylo