Haunted Mansion Basement Build (First Project)

Collicab

I'm currently theming 3 rooms of my basement after the Haunted mansion. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of, or advice on building props like Gargoyle candelabras or the inverted library busts. I'm not much of a sculptor, by which I mean I'm not at all a sculptor, so if there are any kits out there I'd love to know about them.

For some reason the photos are posting upside down, but I've done the Foyer, which is finished, I'm doing the bathroom in the style of the corridor of doors, and the living room in the style of the stretch room.

For the foyer I got the Wallpaper from Bradbury and Bradbury, then approximated the wood work.

For the bathroom, I was unable to get any of the corridor of doors wallpaper, so I had to cut and paint stencils of it. It's not quite finished, but you can get the idea by now.

In the living room I found out that the colors for the wallpaper in the stretch room are currently out of style, so I had to tape it off and paint the verticals stripes. On the wall without windows I plan to build a book case, so I'd love to find some of the busts. The wall with the windows will have the Stretch Room Paintings on it, and a couple of gargoyles would be awesome over there, and in the alcove I've got a 1906 W W Putnam foot bellows organ that I'm in the process of refinishing.

again, sorry everything is upside down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,016.5 KB · Views: 403
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 330
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    881.3 KB · Views: 317
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 342
That is YOUR room ? Wow. You're going all the way. Wallpaper and everything. An organ ?!??!?!

:D

That is YOUR room ? Wow. You're going all the way. Wallpaper and everything. An organ ?!??!?!

:D

Wish I had his room to dedicate to this type of project :lol
I just found one of those organs locally at a thrift store for $500 in working order but have no room to buy it and display it. :(

Can't get over how cool this is...

If you are able to find a grandfather clock, or even a fitting wooden wall clock, the "13-o-clock" clock face is very easy to find.

The rotating hand shadow used near the clock on the ride would be easy enough to replicate, even if static.

I was thinking about the busts early today; haven't seen any casts, but don't give up!

Would be interesting to see if you could mimic the bulging door, again even if static (could even be a wall panel I suppose)

Madame Leota would be easy enough to do fairly well (clear acrylic sphere, foam or mannequin head finished properly, wig).

If you have wall space and a bottomless budget you could devise the set of morphing paintings using flat panel screens.

Disney sold an excellent copy of the Hat Box Ghost (whom has recently been reintroduced to the ride), cast in translucent resin, at about 1/3 scale - about 18" to 24" tall - but it was years ago it was originally sold and may be hard to find and steep in price.

The omnipresent crow would be easy enough to place in strategic places.

Sound system for theme music and effects?

Would be fun to have Little Leota in the stair-well for folks to "experience" on the way out, but that may also be your way in...

Likely way too much here to incorporate, but my mind is scrambling; enjoying your project vicariously!

Wow guys, thanks!

I plan to have the stenciling in the bathroom done this weekend. I've only got corners to do in black, then stenciling on the facial features, and glow in the dark eyes.

As far as Leota is concerned. I'm working on it. I've got a great case for her to go in.

I believe Doombuggies sells a 13 hour clock with fingers for hands on their cafepress page. I've seen a tutorial on carving a grandfather clock out of foam online that I'm going to put that into.

I've got some other ideas that I'm trying to work out placement for. Most of which you've already mentioned.
Didn't think of the Raven though. Thanks for that.

Yes, raven (not crow!).... Ooops!

Looks like theg Hatbox ghost exceeds $400 on eBay...

There's also all the stuff the sell in the parks. For instnace, my wife and I have a needlepoint throw pillow that has "Tomb Sweet Tomb" stitched on it.

Wait...what? You have three rooms, a foyer, a living room and a bathroom...in your BASEMENT???
Yeah.
You suck.

I picked up the busts from DW a few weeks ago while on vacation. Therfe is also a Hat Box Ghost Big-Fig available now. It's not the mentioned previously. This one measures about 12-14"

Looking forward to your progress.

This is so cool! You can't beat the Haunted
Mansion. Keep up the great work!
(y)thumbsup

~ I Athena I

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work so far! I'm planning to theme the exterior of my house and dining room to the Mansion, but our build won't start for at least a few more months. I for one love the current HM merch they're selling at the parks. If you haven't seen them, they have a variety of stuff available from Gargoyle candlestick holders to Bat Stanchion bottle stoppers...they're nice little props and the price is right too (anywhere from 14 bucks to I think 50 for this cool Madame Leota music box). They also currently sell a statue based on the Alligator Girl for about 150 (I heard the other three portraits are also going to be released, but nothing yet so far :(

[video]https://instagram.com/p/4Ur8U7vsGG/[/video]
If you're willing to spend a bit more cash, one cool little piece I picked up from eBay is a lenticular portrait of Constance Hatchaway and her third husband Reginald. The lenticular feature is fantastic, though the image isn't the exact same size as the one from the ride. There's a couple other lenticular portraits on eBay right now so if you're interested, give it a search.

Good luck and I can't wait to see more progress!

Last edited:
I have most of the park merchant from a year or two ago. I have a pair of candlesticks holders, the hourglass, the music box, the pillow and blanket, the coasters, and the bat bottle stopper. I've also got the gate plaque frame, which you can see in the organ photo.
I'll set the rest out once I get some furniture.

The question now is, do I put some couches in there, or a table. Perhaps a seance table with Leota in the middle of it. It'd be someplace to entertain more adult activities than sitting around watching tv.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a minute. Maybe Leota hangs suspended above the table. Maybe she's even a lamp. Hmmmmmm...

I have most of the park merchant from a year or two ago. I have a pair of candlesticks holders, the hourglass, the music box, the pillow and blanket, the coasters, and the bat bottle stopper. I've also got the gate plaque frame, which you can see in the organ photo.
I'll set the rest out once I get some furniture.

The question now is, do I put some couches in there, or a table. Perhaps a seance table with Leota in the middle of it. It'd be someplace to entertain more adult activities than sitting around watching tv.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait a minute. Maybe Leota hangs suspended above the table. Maybe she's even a lamp. Hmmmmmm...

Yeah, that's pretty much all the park merch out right now. The only items left is a pretty nifty bat stanchion dinner bell that's about 15 bucks and these bookends:

516BvPlc5XL.jpg

haunted_mansion_endless_hallway_chair2.jpg
I've always loved this chair. I'm sure it's a custom, but with a bit of work, you can fashion a pretty good lookalike out of this Ikea number:
2015%u00252BIKEA%u00252BStrandmon%u00252Bin%u00252Bplayroom%u00252B-%u00252B4838.jpg

And I LOVE your idea for the Leota lamp! Perhaps you can modify a lamp like this with a painted translucent mannequin head and a low-wattage blue lightbulb?
Sandra_Lindner_Selene_Lamp_5gm.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back