Hasbro Vintage Slave 1. Lower surface detail upgrade kit.

Flyscriber

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi folks.

Please find the new revised wish list for anyone wanting one of these replacement kits.

Thank to everyone who has had one of these over the last year or so.
If you would like one of these kits, please post on the thread and i will add you to this NEW "THE 2021 LIST" below.

Thanks again

"THE 2021 LIST"

mktodd .........................awaiting 2021 run​

rooker2k ..........................awaiting 2021 run

dse2187......................awaiting 2021 run

mechaneil. .......................awaiting 2021 run

Spankuh.......................awaiting 2021 run

Last Christmas i received a Slave 1 vintage series toy. Its pretty good except the bottom is very underwhelming. I thought i would have a go at upgrading the model starting with the lower surface. It then occurred to me that it might be a good idea to make a refit kit so others could enjoy the process of upgrading their toys as i do.
I know others have done this before and their versions look great, but i wanted to bin the main surface moulding from the underside and work with completely new components.
So over the last holiday i spent a few days hitting the lathe and greebly box to make as close an approximation as i could to the studio model. Obviously the scale of this model is way off the studio scale version, so most of the parts are either scratch built or fudged to make them work ok, so please don't beat me up too much about the accuracy ;-)
This is mainly a run through to visualise and absorb the models details for my attempt (over the next year or so) to recreate the studio scale version from scratch. (ill be making a thread for that sometime).

So far i have a total of about 40 parts which i intend to make moulds of and offer them to you through the RPF. Please bear in mind these parts are not finished just yet, and there are a lot more to come.

I have made the parts to minimise the change to the structure of the toy. The only things which becomes unusable are the Mines which need removing in order to fit the base plate (but there in the wrong place anyhow, so do we care !! I don't). everything else is still playable, should you feel the need.

Heres where i am so far, and how it will work on the toy.
Remove the base (6 screws or so) and attach the new flat plates then glue into position. A couple of screw spigots on the body need cutting down by a couple of mm, but its dead easy as the reinforcement fins on the moulding guide the depth, i did mine with a side cutter tool and it works great.
Also shave off the mouldings for the mine assemblies which you've already removed.
SAM_4088.JPG

then you can start to add the parts to this new base.
SAM_4089.JPG
SAM_4090.JPG
SAM_4091.JPG
SAM_4092.JPG
SAM_4093.JPG
SAM_4095.JPG
SAM_4096.JPG
SAM_4097.JPG

So heres the parts i have spread out.
SAM_4098.JPG

The base plates will be part of the kit as well. They can be plastic sheet, or i can get them made in steel so you can mount the model in the correct place on the rear.
I turned the engines and the main dish in my woodworking lathe. Most other parts are kitbashed and some are scratch made. As i get closer to completion some of the parts will change as more model kits come to me and i test them for scale. Just waiting for some Chieftain tank kits to arrive for teh centre section over the wing axle, and the Leopold gun for the main tubes (if it fits).

If you fancy one of these kits, (i have no idea on price just yet ) please leave a post so i can determine if its worth spending the cash on silicone for the moulds. If no one fancies it then no problem, i will use these parts for my build only.

Cheers everyone, stay safe.
Flyscriber

Last edited:
I am interested as well. I've always wanted a nicely detailed Slave 1. Which kit do I need to get to go with your parts?
Hi HighlanderFX. This is for replacing the lower details on this Vintage collection Toy.
I think there will be some bits you will need to find but im doing my hardest to get decent castings of the parts needed.
There are a load of guns to get sorted and smaller details, but its coming together now.
Heres an image of the box.
s-l1600.jpg

I think they are about 200 dollars, but well worth it for a nice larger scale Slave 1in my humble opinion.

And with some sanding and detailing it can look like this. WIP of course.
SAM_4188.JPG

The model is 19 inches front to back (top to bottom in this image), so a decent size.

Attachments

• hasbro slave 1 vintage collection.jpg
    hasbro slave 1 vintage collection.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
more work on this today.
Spot the difference. Im almost ready to make some moulds of the parts. Just some finer detailing to do, then finalise the parts for casting. Smaller details like gun barrels and such will be the last mould i make once the first pull is fitted to my model for testing. Ill make the small detail parts to fit the final assembly. Then it should be ready to go :)
bottom.JPG

kit parts.JPG

SAM_4213.JPG

SAM_4212.JPG

I may not have been clear, I'd also like to be on the list please :)

I have a preorder in for one of these, looks like there's supposed to be a summer restock

I am very interrested in the set aswell Andy and i think i am allready on the list.
I have a question..i just purchased a vintage collection esb Slave I on ebay,..an Amazon exclusive version from 2013.
I 've read somewhere that the wings on the Amazon exclusive are made of a softer kind of plastic instead of a hard plastic like on the Jango versions.
Are the wings of this newer Slave I version made of the harder kind of plastic?

I am very interrested in the set aswell Andy and i think i am allready on the list.
I have a question..i just purchased a vintage collection esb Slave I on ebay,..an Amazon exclusive version from 2013.
I 've read somewhere that the wings on the Amazon exclusive are made of a softer kind of plastic instead of a hard plastic like on the Jango versions.
Are the wings of this newer Slave I version made of the harder kind of plastic?
Ive popped you on the list voodoocaster.

It seems the wings are moulded in differing materials. The main body of the wings is made in two halves and is in a harder material (ie, non flexible) which helps with the painting. The smaller flange on the wing with the grill details (sandwiched between the other halves) is a softer more flexible material.

I have opened the wings up and excavated the internal junctions for the axle, and replaced the axle with a metal rod. The plastic is more than up to the job for a decent junction. This isn't necessary as the original axle is good enough, but i do like a heavy and solid model :)
I also excavated the small piston details from the upper half, and replaced them with some telescopic brass rods. The trough in the wing surface (normally the space shuttle engine pods from just below the tail fin) for these pistons was made from an old model part/fuselage, which i trimmed to fit and stuck in there with car body filler. It seems to work ok, no issues with soft plastic.
I also painted/ primed the whole thing in automotive rattle can grey primer, and then went over it with super sticky gaffer tape to see if i had the correct adhesion for the parts. On mine it took well to the body and wings without issue. Nothing like the problems i had with the SS X1 build i did a year or so ago. So glad to report all good with the paint. :)

Yeah glueing and paint adhesion are my main concerns with the softer plastic.
Good to hear it worked out fine for you and i hope the older version i bought will be of the same material.
Your refit set will make this model shine!!
I am trying to figure out a way to make the canopy glass less dark but i am not sure if there is another way than to vacuumform a new one which will be way above my abillities and modeling skills.
Is the canopy glass moulded in a tinted plastic or is the canopy tinted with a smoke paint?

The canopy seems to be moulded in a very slightly tinted transparent material (although checking the variant of this toy, the latest ones seem to have a canopy with much less tint than the older version !). Its much softer than the other surfaces (presumably to cope with the abuse from kids) and i don't think it will take too well to surfacing or polishing. If you fancy a clear one i think you will need to vac form a replacement. Im sticking with the one supplied, just removing the spigots etc.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back