Hasbro Millennium Falcon : Weathering , filters and pastels

Vacformedhero

Sr Member
Hi , decided it's better to start up my own thread to document my learning while converting the hero series millennium falcon into something that resembles a film prop. It has been over 12 years since I last built and painted a model (I am excluding revell snap together models I built for my son)
painting techniques have vastly improved and I am going to attempt some of them . As mentioned previously I was very heavy handed with my ertl falcon and used heavy dirtying down with powder paint and grey airbrushed and then removed with thinners on a cloth.
i think I now have the patience to do a proper paint job.
another aspect of this build is making it special . With that in mind I will light this kit and enable it to be mounted.
during this process I need help , especially with materials .

issues with the model:
eliminate some of the softer details and like many here replace with kits, while I will where possible use equivalent kits to replicate the details, it would cost me too much to be slavishly copying the 5 foot model..... This will have elements of both , whichever I think is cooler to the eye.

installing an armature to allow the model to be displayed in three ways , vertical , in flight and horizontal. I will use aluminium box section, help needed here is how to effectively bond materials, although where possible I will add structural rigidity to the model and even go as far as screwing as much
as possible together.

lighting the kit, I want this baby on display (negotiations have kicked off ) , I have an off the shelf answer that I will post here soon . Problems to overcome are light leakage through the model , I believe silver is the best light blocker .....any feedback appreciated.

weathering the model to look real, this will be my biggest hurdle and time sink. I have found excellent explanations on filters and damage on this forum which have given me a good base to start from.
The first two show rustoleum plastic primer direct onto the surface with no preparation or cleaning , as you can see this is very poor. Nearly all the paint have lifted after a few days

the next one isprofessional colour support plastic primer , a clear plastic preparation usually used for car bumpers, I superglued (rocket quick dry) a model part to this and I cannot move it (green tank wheel)

the he final one and the one I will probably go with is The Army Painter colour primer uniform grey (used by war gamers to prime whole armies) again superglued tank wheel didn't come off .

The last two images are my previous attempt at weathering a falcon, some of the heavier sides I like but overall too strong and tonally needs to be more subtle

my thread is for anyone so feel free to submit your learnings from your builds and any suggestions are most welcome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,001
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 869
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 715
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 683
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 660
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 707
image.jpg
Here is the test alignment of the proposed armature, the 16x16mm slides snugly into the 20x20mm box section . The mount will have 16mm box .
When possible I want to bolt this into the base of the falcon, this framework will also support lighting.
While cutting out the plastic has weakened the structure I am confident when it's finished it should be stronger.

I think you should use an airbrush.
The Falcon weathering is all about subtiles toning with airbrush, aibrushed and handpainted strokes, very thinned washes, thinned splattering (you can use an old toothbrush and your finger to splatter the paint). Base color mist over all the model etc.
Take your time to study the original filming model and to figure what techniques they used to age the model.

I bought 2 deagostini magazine today guns are fantastic . Cockpit will work too , I will buy two more , and will at least get the first three magazines (multiples of them for top and bottom gun emplacements ). Great value too €3.50 for the gun and cockpit, much cheaper time wise then scratch building the guns, in fact being metal should be easier to mould from for future MF . Blueprint supplied was great , and the magazine mentions they will explain the weathering process . My thinking is that if enough people purchase them in shop they will continue to get them in , for me if the mandible , airlock docking rings or engine detail came next I would be chuffed,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 514
And don't forget to stick it under florescent lighting in a dirty room for 30 years ;)
Brilliant lol that's why I want to display it , , and thanks tox , yeah I need to learn to be subtle, cutting the model up and supports I can get my teeth into but once she's primed I'll have to rein in the horses

Looks like fun on a bun! I did a Falcon paint master a couple of months ago, and it's always a blast revisiting this paint job. Every time I do one, it makes me feel like a kid again.

Would love to see pics of your project Jason. The 32" Falcon paint job has always been somewhat of an obsession of mine and it's a treat to see how others interpret it. Your projects have always been some of my favorites on here and I'd love to see how you tackled the Falcons' somewhat difficult paint scheme.

Chris

Looks like fun on a bun! I did a Falcon paint master a couple of months ago, and it's always a blast revisiting this paint job. Every time I do one, it makes me feel like a kid again.
i am only new here and still finding my way, i am still making my way through the back catalogue of old MF posts, would love to see it....ill search for it now....i need all the inspiration I can get

I can never get enough Falcon or Hasbro threads to follow. I'm just a few months away from being able to dig into my own ships

As a point of interest though this should be moved into the General Modelling area

I will be following this thread too as I'm beginning mine soon too. Even straight out the box this thing is impressive and especially for the price. :)

Ben

I can never get enough Falcon or Hasbro threads to follow. I'm just a few months away from being able to dig into my own ships

As a point of interest though this should be moved into the General Modelling area
Interested as to why general modelling ? i am attempting to build a copy of the models used in filming ?

Yeah but this model doesnt have the same size than the filming mini, nor has the same kitparts as details so it belongs to the general forum.
mmm considering I still haven't seen a consensus in any of the books I have or this forum as to the exact dimensions of any of the models.... also the new falcon seems to be a mix mash of both models and it may never exist as a practical model. I will move the thread if someone can pm me how too.

mmm considering I still haven't seen a consensus in any of the books I have or this forum as to the exact dimensions of any of the models.... also the new falcon seems to be a mix mash of both models and it may never exist as a practical model. I will move the thread if someone can pm me how too.
The falcon built for ANH is 5' and the ESB is 32" (slighty bigger than the Hasbro then).
Take a look at the other threads in this section to see how the models are made.

I think we will never see any studio scale Episode VII Falcon as it looks to be all CGI, so it doesnt fit the studio scale section. I would love to learn that a filming miniature was built for this movie though !

You can't move the thread by yourself, only a moderator can do that.

G'day Brian, don't take this the wrong way but the Studio Scale section is meant for those models built to the same size and standards (but not necessarily using the same methods), with an eye to getting it exactly the same, as those made for the films in which they are seen.

This is not meant to detract from the great work you are doing. It's just about moving the thread to a more appropriate sub-forum. I believe you've already found the other Falcon threads in the General Modelling section and seen all the information that is being passed around on them so I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make on your bird.

And in case no one has said it yet, welcome to The RPF.

Interested as to why general modelling ? i am attempting to build a copy of the models used in filming ?

I would love to learn that a filming miniature was built for this movie though !

I would love to see that too. I know some ships were made as miniatures but haven't heard about a Falcon. Oh to dream of another studio scale iteration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to see that too. I know some ships were made as miniatures but haven't heard about a Falcon. Oh to dream of another studio scale iteration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah I would say every morning in preproduction they were crossing everything, please let us build a practical ship for scanning , would it be Rock Paper Scissors to decide who gets to work on it .

yeah I would say every morning in preproduction they were crossing everything, please let us build a practical ship for scanning , would it be Rock Paper Scissors to decide who gets to work on it .

Going by the trailer it looks like they didn't need to build a model to scan,......they scanned the 5 footer

......then added more fine details,.....those side walls look far more busy

J

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back