Hasbro Hero X-Wing help needed

Jimmer

I visited a local used book store tonight that also sales collectibles, and picked up this wreck for $5.95.

Hasbro Hero X-Wing with NO wings, NO cannons & NO landing gear...lol.

I was curious if anyone who had done a conversion may have the original wings they'd be willing to sell.
The cannons should be a "relatively" easy build (why do I feel I'll be eating those words later...lol), but before I start trying to build the wings I thought I'd check.

If anyone still has the dimensions of the wings for this on hand I would be most grateful.

** Any tips/suggestions on building wings will be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking styrene, but certainly open to ideas.
Cannons should be easier...mainly hobby tubing.

Thanks.

20200625_190235.jpg

I paid $95 for mine when they came out and then converted it. I had the whole toy, so used the wings that came with it for the conversion. There are some people offering complete replacement wings and everything, but it's not cheap, something like $300+

You probably don't need the wings of this toy as apart from a small amount of top shell detail, you'll have to scratch build most of the wings anyway.

There are some very good completed builds on the RPF to review, here's mine....I created molds for casting the parts with the intention of offering the parts for sale, but it's simply too time consuming so I never did it...good luck with your build.

It's the biggest most reasonably accurate X Wing you can buy and with a fair amount of work, can turn out great....good luck...!

Here is a set of the laser cannons for it 4 Laser Cannon Bases for 1/18 Hasbro Hero X-Wing Conversion

and as far as the wings, there is this set of 4. Might be expensive, but considering you get an aluminum support structure and all the plant on parts for all 4 wings it might be worth for you

At some point a member here was also makings a mechanism for opening/closing the wings but I lost my link for it and can't remember the name

One would probably have to make extensive modifications to the interior of the hull to make this work, but Mike Reader makes his X-Wing armatures in 1/18.

His email address is: reader@mymts.com

The available parts, wings, engines cannon bases look really sharp, but at $500 all in....too rich for my blood, I just scratch built everything...... still if you don't want to scratch build everything, it's an option I suppose. I think the internal armature was going for $150 somewhere, getting up around $700...geez..!

I thought about adding the armature, but at the cost and work required, for me it was not worth it, but I suppose would be cool to be able to push a button and they open and close.

Last edited:
The available parts, wings, engines cannon bases look really sharp, but at $500 all in....too rich for my blood, I just scratch built everything...... still if you don't want to scratch build everything, it's an option I suppose. I think the internal armature was going for $150 somewhere, getting up around $700...geez..!

I thought about adding the armature, but at the cost and work required, for me it was not worth it, but I suppose would be cool to be able to push a button and they open and close.

Yeah, that's much more than I want to invest in this. I plan on (if all goes well) either making a static wings closed version to mount on the wall, or more optimistically a static wings open version to mount either on a stand or a diorama-type display with the Hasbro 6 inch Luke rebel pilot.
We'll see how it plays out..lol.
Thanks guys

3D print the parts.

TazMan2000 modeled up everything needed in CAD for 3D printing and release it for free very recently (He did a fine job at it too judging from the pics). Even if you don't go that route there are some free gorgeously modeled X-wings available that you can just scale the wings to your liking or look for the mechanism alone (there are a few working mechanism models freely available as well) and scale it for your model etc etc. There are a few cockpits about as well and a really ****** pilot that is way too low poly for printing. You are better off buying an x-wing pilot action fig in the 3.75" scale. It's perfectly scaled actually. I got some for mine for this very reason. It works out to about 1/18 scale.

Granted you'll have to wade through a ton of **** models, but if you stick it out there are definitely some golden nuggets out there. Besides your time (which should be counted as well) printing them yourself is cheap as chips. Will probably cost more than you paid though ;)

3D print the parts.

TazMan2000 modeled up everything needed in CAD for 3D printing and release it for free very recently (He did a fine job at it too judging from the pics). Even if you don't go that route there are some free gorgeously modeled X-wings available that you can just scale the wings to your liking or look for the mechanism alone (there are a few working mechanism models freely available as well) and scale it for your model etc etc. There are a few cockpits about as well and a really ****** pilot that is way too low poly for printing. You are better off buying an x-wing pilot action fig in the 3.75" scale. It's perfectly scaled actually. I got some for mine for this very reason. It works out to about 1/18 scale.

Granted you'll have to wade through a ton of **** models, but if you stick it out there are definitely some golden nuggets out there. Besides your time (which should be counted as well) printing them yourself is cheap as chips. Will probably cost more than you paid though ;)

This is actually pretty spot-on to what I've been doing...watching YouTube builds and researching builds here and elsewhere online.

Excellent point about 3.75 figure (which luckily I have pilots and astros in 3.75).
The cockpit (well, canopy and theoretical cockpit) is large enough for 6 inch figs but the R2 that comes with Hero Xwing is basically 3.75.
I was considering cutting room for a Bandai astromech, can't believe it didn't occur to me to go with 3.7 inch pilot.
I even have a ladder and hangar equipment/gear that I've collected/built in past years.

Now I just need to loosen my wallet and upgrade to 3D printer..lol.
Guess it's past time, anyway.

Thanks for the input.

Yaris, I was inspired by your Build and did pretty much the same as you! Here is mine at present - just the cockpit to go now and the lighting.

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 198
  • X-Wing September 2020.jpg
    X-Wing September 2020.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 180
Yaris, I was inspired by your Build and did pretty much the same as you! Here is mine at present - just the cockpit to go now and the lighting.
Looks Great...!!!......do you have a build video...??...or even more build photos would be great.

Would be very interesting to see how you did your build, I get so much interest from mine, so many people want parts and advice, it's a very popular toy...:cool:...I've found it's really important to show the scale of just how big it is, many people often think it's just another small scale model, but at 1/18 scale it's the biggest anyone can buy and convert.

Great work, well done...!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back