Hasbro Hero X-Wing Conversion with 3D Printed Parts - Files no longer available!

TazMan2000

Master Member
Amidst other projects, I decided to do something with my Hasbro Hero X-wing. I was planning on using brass tubing for the laser cannons to ensure they stay true and don't sag. That will, of course, put strain on the wings, which would also need strengthening. I believe there was a member here that designed aluminum wings to solve that problem, which was ingenious but also a bit expensive for a toy conversion. I am designing a set of unmovable wings that can be 3D printed as a core, either sandwiched between styrene or thin 3D printed wing panels. The design will be modular and I will share the STLs when I am finished for anyone who wants, or can improve upon my work. With my limited ability to design something 3D, I'm sure that won't be too hard. The aluminum strip should be available at most hardware stores and the brass square tubing at most hobby shops. I'm just running some prints now to test the flex strength.

20191121_161057.jpg

20191121_161123.jpg

TazMan2000

Last edited:
So the X-wing you're making this for is this the really big one with the static wings, or the other (close to studio scale) one?

Either way its pretty cool :D

Jedi Dade

So the X-wing you're making this for is this the really big one with the static wings, or the other (close to studio scale) one?

Either way its pretty cool :D

Jedi Dade

The really big one. The one that needs a lot of work and paint won't stick to. 29.5 inches or close to that.

HASBRO-STAR-WARS-HERO-X-WING-FIGHTER-VEHICLE-R2D2.jpg

TazMan2000

Taz, flame treatment has a time window. You want to prime it as soon as possible, but I guess you know as much since you mentioned flame treatment in the first place. I am too chicken to try that;) A friend did that with a the fender on a bike, but that doesn't really risk loosing details.
The alternative is to use an adhesion promoter or a primer specific for polyolefin plastics. I think you might have an easier job finding such a primer in car bodywork shops. I was looking for such a thing some years ago for this exact reason and it was really hard to track down in Sweden at least. I have two of the same model and want to 3D print the wings as well, but I want to make a folding mechanism. Just have infinate amount of other things I need to do first. Interested to see what you do and how you manage with the flame treatment.

Thanks for the adhesion promoter advice basementdweller . I will try the flame treatment with a small butane torch for soldering. If I make a mess of it, it should be only on a small area and I could revert back to your advice if it fails.

I thought about making the mechanism, but how many times do us modellers display an X-wing in flight with the S-foils closed?

I made some measurements of the inside of the X-wing and will print templates to see if it fits.

Capture1.JPG

TazMan2000

Wish I had my 3d printers when I started on mine. Im the one that did aluminum wings (one of them anyway). Turns out they are a bit too heavy to stay open so will end up fixing them in position. Oh well.
I am also doing a McQuarrie style cockpit on mine and will have a "BB" style droid. Going for a "somewhere between T-65 and T-70" variant.

IMG_20190923_211407~01.jpg

Wish I had my 3d printers when I started on mine. Im the one that did aluminum wings (one of them anyway). Turns out they are a bit too heavy to stay open so will end up fixing them in position. Oh well.
I am also doing a McQuarrie style cockpit on mine and will have a "BB" style droid. Going for a "somewhere between T-65 and T-70" variant.

View attachment 1085938

That's cool. I've thought about a trainer version with a tandem cockpit.

TazMan2000

I tested a few painting/priming applications when converting the toy to open wings.

The waxy toy surface is HDPE, so I washed the surface with GP thinners which is the paint thinner for acrylic lacquer paint system, which I used for painting....worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Thanks yaris . I looked up that thinner you used and it might be only available in Austrailia. But the main ingredient from the MSDS is Toluene. There must be sources I have locally who use a similar recipe.

I saw a video where this guy makes primer from glue sticks.

TazMan2000
Home Depot sells lacquer thinners which is the same thing as GP thinners it primes the toy plastic (HDPE) really well. I’ve had zero paint flake.

Wear a ventilator as it’s super toxic

Definitely interested in your flame treatment results. I have one of these as well as the large Falcon

I think I will try that along with the adhesion promoter for the best possible adhesion outcome

As mentioned, I've also heard of people using "bumper" paint, basically something like Duplicolor Clear Adhesion Promoter primer https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...5/dupli-color-adhesion-promoter/cp199/4268031

that also supposedly helps with gluing stuff to it since CA won't work either without help

I tested a few painting/priming applications when converting the toy to open wings.

The waxy toy surface is HDPE, so I washed the surface with GP thinners which is the paint thinner for acrylic lacquer paint system, which I used for painting....worked perfectly.

Does GP stand for General Purpose thinner yaris - if so, could you please provide the actual product name of the brand you used for your build - there’s so many different types around ?
I’m in Perth , W.A. with one of these on my to do list , so hopefully it’ll be stocked over here too .

Ged

Thanks for all the info guys. I will try all of them.

I wonder if it would be easier just to model the body of the X-wing using the Hasbro toy as a guide?

TazMan2000

Or mold it and cast it in resin?

I am kind of surprised no one has done that with the Falcon actually

Although maybe with the X-wing, doing a fiberglass cast of it might be easier?

Does GP stand for General Purpose thinner yaris - if so, could you please provide the actual product name of the brand you used for your build - there’s so many different types around ?
I’m in Perth , W.A. with one of these on my to do list , so hopefully it’ll be stocked over here too .

Ged
Yes general purpose thinners or lacquer thinners, same thing, easy to get at Bunnings, Diggers brand

Or mold it and cast it in resin?

I am kind of surprised no one has done that with the Falcon actually

Although maybe with the X-wing, doing a fiberglass cast of it might be easier?

The MF is large, not to mention the Hero X-wing too. It would either be a time consuming mould or an expensive one for an inaccurate and non-studio scale kit to use a fiberglass backed RTV mould. There is probably a lot of modifications that have to happen on X-wing, like installing a cockpit, building or filling in the landing gear. The MF couldn't have a two piece mould, so someone would have to cut it up to and mould the sections separately. With the Deagostini one being out, not to mention the Bandai Perfect Grade MF, I guess there wasn't much need for someone to get it done in resin. The moulds would have to be rotocasted as well.

With the Deagostini X-Wing being produced at almost exactly the same size...I'm questioning why I'm doing this project. Perhaps I just want a challenge in partially designing something in 3D.

TazMan2000

Because Deago costs what? And I picked these up for €10 each :) I kept wanting to pick up the first issue of the Deago to see if the canopy would fit, but then I got a 3D printer... and stuff happened :) Sure time is money and all that, but isn't the hobby about spending time doing something that puts you in the zone and at the end of it you come out with something you hopefully like? I've seen some people give the Hero X-wing just a paint of coat and hang it on the wall and it looks pretty amazing with very little effort (comparatively to making it physically accurate). I guess it all depends on how much you obsess over the details and what gives you contentment in a build. Time well spent I would hope can mean 1 hour or 500 hours.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back