Hasbro Boba Fett blaster upgrade/conversion

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Ki Djowac, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Ki Djowac

Ki Djowac Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi everyone,
    new to this forum and i'm working on a standard Hasbro Boba Fett blaster upgrade/conversion. Just thought i'd share the build here.:)

idea :
    a new paint job, a new main led upgrade and possibly a rumble motor.

So here it begins, taking the blaster apart :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The component overview (rumble motor not included on this picture yet, but i have it in working condition on the workbench) :
    I would like to thank Rhyen Skytracker from TCSS forum for the TIP42B transistor tip as this circuit is based on one of his hasbro economy soundboard schematics and he was kind enough to let me know which one he used in those setups. I just used the same solution on this blaster pcb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Component overview in the blaster :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna switch the 5mm led diffusing plastic with a 1 inch thin walled polycarbonate blade (a mini lightsaber ;) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More updates as i progress through this upgrade/conversion :)

StewYZF750 likes this.
  2. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

Clean installation. Looking great.

3. Ki Djowac

update :

Sanded down the tube to get the light diffused more (a technique from Erv i believe ?) and used some gift wrap i picked up locally. Gift wrap was wrapped about 4 times inside the tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Figured out a way to get the new main LED fixed in the tube. Used some salvaged hard drive screws and some plastic M3 allen screws to fix everything in place. A colleague from work who's brother owns a lathe made the alu disc from an aluminium rod. I used my column drill for all the holes and threaded everything by hand.

Some detailed views :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rumble motor test setup. This one was picked up a couple years back in the sale section on FX-sabers from JudgeSabersmith. They run something in between 1 - 3 Volts. As it turns out i have 2,95V on the main LED and if i wire it parallel with the main led i get a nice running motor at max speed. You can use a resistor of course to tune down the rumble a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next up will be wiring clean up while looking for a way to install the rumble motor. I'm thinking using some apoxie sculpt in the hilt (sourced by Master Jevaho, thx again ;) ) and a 12mm copper tube i have in my inventory to assemble the scope back together. I'll probably be using the apoxie sculpt compound to fix the tube in the barrel too while all this should also add some weight to the blaster.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  4. zookone

zookone Well-Known Member

totally cool, looking good

5. abaddon1974

abaddon1974 Active Member

How close is the size of the HAsbro body to the original flare gun?
    I know that the stock is way off but what about the body of the pistol?

Craig

6. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Would love to see this setup installed in a full size resin blaster. Looks excellent.

The whole thing is undersized. Looks rather good and they got some of the details right that would often be overlooked, but it would be best used for a your person's costume.

7. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

8. Ki Djowac

Yup, it is indeed too small to be really screen accurate. Nevertheless, a fun little blaster :thumbsup

another small update :

I've cut a 12mm copper tube to the correct length so i can assemble the scope back together. In my parts drawer i've found a 12mm lens of (as far as i can remember that is) a broken DVD player. I usually gut lots of things for parts before they move to the bin :D This fits nicely at the front end of the scope so when you look through it, you'll get a nice added scope effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dremelled out the Hasbro speaker grill with a Dremel grinding disk for some added loudness.

[​IMG]

Decided to add some weight to the removable stock with a modeling compound called Apoxie sculpt. Certainly alot heavier now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stock is hardening out at this time and i expect to have my plastic allen screws coming in tomorrow so i can move back to the electronics side of things. :)

9. T2SF

T2SF Well-Known Member

Nice! I may have to buy one myself.

10. Ki Djowac

Very small update :

working on the removable end of the blaster. At the moment primer is drying.

Meanwhile i took some smaller parts to try and get some kind of weathered look going as my resources and experience with this are very limited. Nevertheless i'm giving it a go and see where it leads me. For now i've done the trigger and speaker holder :

[​IMG]

3 layers : primer, alu/metal looking paint and a matt black on top while carefully removing the matt black as it's still wet and some sanding after that to get to a weathered look.

11. Ki Djowac

update :

did some work on the removable back-end. After filling up the holes where the screws are i sanded everything down so primer would stick good and i could get a nice finish.

Same layers here as on the trigger/speakerholder : regular primer on the apoxie sculpt and plastic primer on the rest followed by a metallic looking paint and a matt black finish. For the weathering i layed down a good base => metallic paint and then i looked at where it would logically weather the most. The back end for example has almost no more black finish and so on ... For a first try i'm happy with how this turned out *:)

[​IMG]

More detailed view :

[​IMG]

12. Solochaser

Solochaser Well-Known Member

thank you for sharing this. I was wondering how to get the tip off with out breaking it.

13. rnbuda

rnbuda Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking great!

14. Ki Djowac

Thx y'all :)

Time for another update as i've made some progress and my end cap came in :D

This will go at the end of the tube and has 5 layers of mirrored foil attached. This simply to prevent blinding anyone while firing and to bounce light back into the tube.
    [​IMG]

Then i also made some progress on the paint job/sculpting. Made the barrel end heavier with apoxie sculpt and spraypainted the inside with primer and then chrome to distribute the light a bit more inside the barrel. The battery cap is also filled up with apoxie sculpt, primered and spraypainted metallic. Sanded down the outside of the blaster, primer and then metallic again.

[​IMG]

Also in the works as we speak : cleaning up wiring. To be continued ...

15. thehalfboy

thehalfboy New Member

This looks fantastic, and the steps are really clear. A good post for a beginner like me to be following!

16. Moosedan

Moosedan New Member

Looks great.

17. Ki Djowac

Another update :
    Wiring is done. All components are gonna be glued/sculpted into place.

[​IMG]

The rumble motor is sculpted in the grip using some aves apoxie sculpt.

[​IMG]

Cap in place. No glue needed here as it fit's just right and once everything is put together in the end it won't ever come off anyways.

[​IMG]

Yellow tape below will be removed later, this is just to keep the main LED wires in place until the glue is dry. The transistor will be placed directly underneath the battery holder. I got lucky i had one of these heatsinks in my inventory without having to modify it. :)

[​IMG]

More on this soon as i'm seeing the finish line on the horizon with lots of sculpting, weathering etc ... ;)

18. Coop

Coop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job! I love following these Hasbro conversions.

19. Ki Djowac

Thx :)
    More progress :

Filled up the inside of the blaster as much as possible with Apoxie sculpt to add weight. Kept the space behind the speaker empty though as i don't want to compromise on sound too much.

[​IMG]

Started to sculpt with the same apoxie on the outside. Filling up those screw holes and where the two blaster halves meet. Trying to sculpt the fins on the barrel end too as well as keeping that diamond raster going on the grip.

[​IMG]

That's it for now.

20. Ki Djowac

I've entered the final stages of this conversion.

Detailing done and last primer layer done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alu layer is drying as we speak ;)

21. Balgosa

Balgosa Active Member

I did the Stormtrooper Blaster Hasbro conversion myself and it was a lot of work but totally worth it. Keep it up!

22. Ampix0

Ampix0 Member

I demand a tutorial for that weathered paint job.

23. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

Loving all the photos of the process!

24. Ki Djowac

Thx y'all. Almost done.

The metallic layer :

[​IMG]

The last matt black layer and started weathering on the scope. While applying the last mat black layer i tried to take into account that it doesn't have to be an overall evenly sprayed layer. Tried to do some sprayed weathering sort of speak. The final weathering effect/result i tried to get was done with a mild sanding job using a 600 grid sandpaper. While slowly uncovering the metallic layer underneath to get the weathered effect. I'm no expert on weathering as this is my first try on doing something weathered, but i like where it brought me. The sanding job more or less got me a random effect as it uncovered the layer underneath. The trick is not going too far while sanding and the rest comes down to where you feel : 'enough is enough'. ;)

[​IMG]

At the moment the stock part is put into the handle permanently, but seems to have become a tiny bit bigger possibly due to sculpting and cracked the top handle insert. This will require some sanding, sculpting, spraying etc all over again in that area. Little setback, but nothing serious. Pushes the end result back though due to drying times of apoxie and paint.

25. Darth Sparrow

Darth Sparrow New Member

I think you need to offer a kit for the electronics :-D

26. Ki Djowac

On to the 99% finished result. By 99% i mean i still got a small area to fix and this is where i'm at right now :

[​IMG]

The cracked handle is glued back together with the strongest glue i could get my hands on locally. Apoxie sculpt is already put on after letting glue dry for 2 days.

Enough about fixing things. I've testfired this puppy a couple of times and i like it. Nice evenly spread light distribution and not blinding on the front. Little rumble motor tucked away in the handle adds a nice little rumble while firing. The recovered DVD lens part glued in the front end of the scope which is 12mm in diameter also adds a bit of a scope effect. Only thing is when looking through it you see everything upside down :lol

Here you have the final result :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To end it all, here's the wiring schematic (shout out to Rhyen Skytracker for the inspiration of this schematic as it's based on one of his hasbro economy wiring schematics) :

[​IMG]

That's it. I may do a little vid in a couple of weeks. Feel free to share thoughts and comments :)

27. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Very cool! Thanks for posting all the pics.

I have a client of mine wanting to upgrade his hasbro Fett blaster and I wasnt sure how to disassemble it. Now that's figured out I can focus on the upgrade electronics. :thumbsup

28. Ki Djowac

29. djkibaman

djkibaman New Member

amazing, can't believe it started as Hasbro toy

30. Boba Binks

Boba Binks Well-Known Member

Very nice conversion.

31. postmanpat

postmanpat Well-Known Member

Awesome conversion.

32. battlebroad

battlebroad New Member

AMAZING!!! I'll definitely have to try this! Thanks for the detailed pics!

33. Ki Djowac

Updating this old thread with news :)

I did this blaster back in 2012 i believe and who could have thought that 2014 : The real Boba Fett would hold and fire this very same blaster ? It is what happened at Antwerpconvention april 27th :
    Home | Antwerp Convention

We were there with a Force Relics booth and the Rebel Legion Benelux. Since 2012 and now i had a custom plaque made by Rich Feezle and had a 'how it's made' book printed at a local store. Knowing Boba Fett would be there i took all 3 items with me :)

I told him how the blaster started as a standard Hasbro Toy and was heavied down, upgraded electronics etc... Explained him what the book was and talked a bit about the paint job. He was impressed with the blaster as it looked real metal and the weathering effect was great. I was honored to receive these compliments to say the least. He liked the book and was happy to sign all 3 items.

Here are some of the pics my wife took :

Me and Jeremy (his wife in the background and on the far left corner a glimpse of Alan Harris aka Bossk)
    DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

Signing session with the plaque, book and blaster :
    DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

(Alan Harris aka Bossk again in the background)
    DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0070.jpg

And a couple of shots were fired :)
    DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

Here's where the rumbling starts... He was pleasantly surprised with that effect looking up towards the ceiling and joking around what just happened here ?? We had some good laughs at that moment !

DSC_0071.JPG

It was a great experience and i've met Jeremy twice now. If you ever have a chance to meet and talk to Jeremy, please do so. One of the greatest people you'll ever meet.:)

34. nailz

nailz New Member

Great work on the conversion

35. Feezle-Nuts

Feezle-Nuts Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is awesome my friend! Jeremy is one of the best.

36. Ki Djowac

Thanks for the compliments :)

Hi Feezle : once again, GREAT job on those plaques buddy ! They complete my props. Gonna 3D design a very simple stand for these soon and have them 3D printed :)

37. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

The photos and the directions are so great.Very professional.They could be out of a "how to make-book"...and the blaster looks great.
    The hasbroblasters are not really screenaccurate,but its a lot of fun to mod them.:):thumbsup

38. Ki Djowac

Thanks !

True about accuracy :) They are about half-size-ish i'd estimate.

The custom made book was an afterthought, but it's cool to display at cons so people can take a look at the process of how it was done :)

39. Chris Smith

Chris Smith New Member

After seeing your convert I did my own..looks fantastic. Added the full wood stock and strap too. Awesome looking to do a Jango Fett Pistol now...thanks for your insights :)
    Chris

made007 likes this.