Hasbro BB-8 repaint

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by ecl, Sep 18, 2015.

1. ecl

ecl Sr Member

Here's something I started to work on; a repaint of the Hasbro remote control BB-8. I know everyone talks about the Sphero one, but I really like the sculpt on the Hasbro version, so I've been starting on upgrading the finish by repainting it. I'll also replace the antennas with something that look closer to the original prop. This is all still in progress, so additional details and gradations will be added! I'm using Duplicolor and Krylon paint for the sprayed parts and then aging it with acrylic paint mixed with matte medium.

Stock out of the box:

[​IMG]

Work stared on the body!

[​IMG]

Progress so far on the body detailing:

[​IMG]

mugatu likes this.
  2. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this looks awesome! what i love is how you achieve the dirt look around the orange circles!! mind sharing your technique on making that dirt effect, it came out great!!!

3. ecl

ecl Sr Member

Thanks! I use artist matte medium and mix in a little bit of Raw Sienna and black (it'll go on translucent), then brush on a thin layer in small sections, and then dab it with a balled up paper towel or kleenex to soften the edges before it dries (which can be pretty quick, so i work in small sections). After it's dry you can even lightly chip away at it with some fine steel wool or your fingernail to add more effect. This technique works well for aging a lot of stuff!

halliwax likes this.
  4. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Wow, that looks great.
    Krylon and Hasbro plastic, are you using the Krylon for plastic? Even after sanding and cleaning having a devil of a time getting the Krylon satin finish to stick.

5. ecl

ecl Sr Member

I've run into the problem before. But so far it seems the paint is working really well on the BB-8. I did primer the whole thing beforehand (even that doesn't work on some plastics). I think it might be that the plastic itself has a somewhat subtle rough texture to it, it's not all that smooth like a lot of the Hasbro toys. I think that helps the paint to stick pretty well. The white color is a Dupli-color auto spraypaint can, and the orange is the Krylon Pumpkin Orange. It's a bit more reddish than the original seems to be, but it has a nice finish.

6. THXBOY

THXBOY Active Member

Very nice!

7. ecl

ecl Sr Member

Thanks! Progressing slowly on this. Just masking a little at a time as I'm in no hurry.

You can see in this pic how much of a difference paint makes. The head is the stock plastic! Once the metallic parts are painted, it'll come together.

[​IMG]

8. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really love the weathering

9. Broilermaker

Broilermaker Sr Member

Very nice job

10. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

Looks great! Can't wait to get one of my own :)

11. Stormtrooper89

Stormtrooper89 New Member

I noticed the sphero version is glossy and i think that's one of the reasons it moves smoother. Does anyone think adding a gloss coat would help make its movements smoother?

12. smurf

smurf Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the Shero is just completely smooth with the details just painted on. I don't think a gloss coat would help any more.

13. ecl

ecl Sr Member

A gloss coat probably wouldn't make a huge difference. I think the technical aspect of the Sphero is just much more refined than the Hasbro. But I do really like the size and details of the Hasbro version.

I will be hopefully be continuing work on the paint soon!

14. MyenShi

MyenShi New Member

I have both the Sphero and the Hasbro versions. The internals are completely different. Hasbro uses a very simple system to get BB-8 to move, which I actually commend as a relatively economical solution but it causes it to lurch forward instead of rolling. I like both and in some ways prefer the Hasbro for having a dedicated remote and onboard audio, but it definitely lacks the refinement of the Sphero.

15. ecl

ecl Sr Member

Been a while since I've updated. Getting closer to finishing this repaint!! Working on adding a longer metal antenna too. Should be done before the movie is out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Broilermaker

Broilermaker Sr Member

It looks good!

17. gschumsky

gschumsky New Member

Looking pretty awesome. The first time I saw one I thought "This needs to be weathered!" Yours is coming along nicely. Maybe you can get a tiny cell battery in the dome with extra small LED's to light up the radar eye and the holoprojector - or even one white LED with some fiberoptics so you save on weight. My son recently got one so he could study it for his BB8 build, and every time I see it on the dining room table I want to snag it and weather it (I love making things look old and well-worn).

I'd even consider taking out the guts and redoing them so he moves smoother...