has sesame street out lived its usefulness?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by KrangPrime, Aug 16, 2015.

1. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/16/why-sesame-street-had-to-turn-a-corner/

For me, as an adult, I can still go back and enjoy any episode from the Jim Henson Era. From 1969 all the way up to about 1994.

When ELMO reared his ugly head, however...the show started to take a turn for the worse. It all became about elmo. The star Big Bird took a back seat, and soon almost became forgotten. When it was just Big Bird, it never felt ALL ABOUT BIG BIRD. EVERYONE managed to get some great moments in. not so much when the elmo mafia took over. other muppets fell off by the wayside (Anyone remember Guy Smiley? or Gladys?) and the minute Tickle Me Elmo sold out, it was game over for the rest of of the SS cast members. No more caring about louis and maria giving birth to a baby. No more great Olivia songs (man she could sing..)....no more sign language lessons....just a shell of it's former self.

Although, considering this article, maybe that's WHY they shifted to elmo once they realized how popular the little annoyance was. they needed cash fast...and when Kevin Clash had his little..exit..., elmo went to the back burner a bit and his popularity died down a little...and now they are back to square one.

personally, I think they gave up on educating children a while ago. curious what others thoughts are on this?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Vacformedhero likes this.
  2. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: has sesame street out lived it's usefulness?

I dunno, were they ever going to start teaching how to use apostrophes? ;) :p

3. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stopped watching in 1984, my kids have never seen it. It's relevance passed long ago and I think one of the only things keeping it on is parent's nostalgia.

But every time I hear someone counting I get that pinball song in my head! :D

4. batguy

batguy Sr Member

I haven't seen it in too long to have an informed opinion.

I recall Elmo being a JarJar Binx situation where the kids loved him and the adults hated him. He seemed like a younger & more annoying version of Grover. A little too stupid and a lot too merchandised.

It amazes me that any prospective backers were hung up on the stipulation of free public access. Did they expect this show to go for a private-only deal?!? Man, talk about fundamentally not "getting it". Sheesh. That's like asking Tim Burton not to be weird & dark & theatrical.

5. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

right before they started the difference between to too and two..

6. Badgersbunk

Badgersbunk Active Member

Mr snuffleupagus will live forever in my eyes.

7. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Won't that hurt? :)

George likes this.
  8. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Apparently not, at least not when it comes to the word it and its possessive form.

9. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The end for that show was when they tried to get Sid to forsake Cookies and eat healthy.

Everything was fine untill his contract ran out and now he stuck it to them up the wazoo... THATS the real reason they had to go private

10. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm usually a stickler for that stuff but I gave up fighting with auto-correct on my phone long ago.

For the record, "it's" = It is. "Its" = possessive.

11. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

oh don't mind me... I type so fast most of the time I don't even bother to spell check things and move on to the next item ;o)...

maybe a mod can fix it's ;o)

12. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They castrated the Cookie Monster that's for sure.

...."C" is for cookie, a sometimes OK snack."

13. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

[​IMG]

Anyway...I haven't watched a new episode in forever, but I'd bet there's still some redeeming value to the show. It's at least better than yet another bloody episode of Dora the Explorer. "I'm the map....I'm the map....I can tell you where to goooo...I'm the map." I KNOW YOU'RE THE MAP. YOU ALWAYS SING THE SAME STUPID SONG, MAP, AND YOU NEVER TELL ME ANYWHERE COOL TO GO, LIKE THE RUINS OF AN ANCIENT UNDERWATER CITY INHABITED BY MER-PEOPLE.

Is it more corporate? Well, yeah. I mean, all of the Muppet properties are more corporate now...because they're owned by a corporation, and most of the original creators have died or retired from voicing them. I don't think that means they're irrelevant, necessarily, nor that they lack any utility, but they're definitely different.

But hey, for those looking for good programming, Reading Rainbow is now available on Netflix streaming.

14. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've had small kids in my house constantly for 20 years now with my youngest being 3 years old. We watch SS, the kids love it, great show.

I think it's probably lived out it's usefulness to adults, but kids still think it's swell.

15. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

OMG! Did that ever bring back a flood of memories! I used to hear that song in my head too! lol :D

Kevin

16. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

17. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The inside secret is The Count kind of lost it one day and they had to make changes after this...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Axlotl, DL 44 Blaster and robn1 like this.
  18. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

The Muppet Show was a mixed blessing. It was good to see Kermit in this new vehicle but we lost something when he left Sesame Street.
    And I agree that Elmo is like Jar Jar but worse because he actually has a following.

KrangPrime likes this.
  19. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

It's been downhill since Mr. Hooper died. No one even asked where Barkley went...

Don't even get me started on the new song. My sister made fun of me when I had a fit when it came on while my niece was little. :lol

KrangPrime and dascoyne like this.
  20. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love sesame street. But the problems are far worse than the red menace (Elmo).

The characters have become brands, rather than characters. They are simply logos used for whatever purpose. Gone are the days where Bert and Ernie showed us that best friends didn't always like each other.

21. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

has it gotten that bad? no more skits of them trying to fix a TV together?
    I was flipping channels and came across a random episode. the one skit was of hansel and grettel trying to find their way back to big birds nest. it wasn't horrible...but it had no.....uhmph to it. it was just...get the point across three or for times...nothing more. where as with a classic kermit skit, jim and the others ad libbed plenty.....and threw in a few adult jokes while they where at it to keep the parents entertained.

skits like this, for instance....
    'it's not easy being green....' ' yeah, you noticed, huh?'

22. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

My fav was a tie between Big Bird and Ernie. Then it was Oscar then Grover. I always thought it was well balanced between education and entertainment, I really liked the humans skits, always good stuff. I haven't watched it in a while but I do remember noticing every skit was 5-8 mins long up until the last 15 mins, which every minute of that 15 was Elmo's World. Then I noticed that kids didn't pay attention and just waited for Elmo! I also seen that parents had kids who would write on walls with crayons, and WHO does that? Yes, the furry red monster is all about making his world entirely from crayons. I would have to catch a few episodes to see how it is, but entertainment wise, it seems different than what I grew up with. But which show doesn't keep with the times? I guess it aims for today's children and whatever they are into lol.

"Darn you kids! Turn down that hippie music! Oh its new Sesame Street? Turn it down anyway!" :lol

23. Badgersbunk

Badgersbunk Active Member

I still can't count to 12 without singing and picturing that ball.

24. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I remember being a kid and just not being able to figure out how Ernie's mouth and both hands could move at the same time! I knew they were puppets but it just never occurred to me that there would be two people operating one muppet. Also, it wasn't until later on that I realized that Big Bird actually has a 'dead' arm with a wire running to his head so that the arm moves when his head moves.

25. Victor3

Victor3 Well-Known Member

Aside from the gigantic block of Elmo time, the other problem I have with SS is how much recycling they do. I've got 2 little kids, 5 & 2, and have watched it with both of them. Though not very much with the younger.

Really, there seems to be only about 10 minutes of new content per episode, on average. The remaining hour is simply rearranged material from the last several years. Sometimes the screen switches from 16:9 to 3:4 proportions, because it goes back that far. And there's gotta be less than 10 segments of (frickin') Abby's Flying Fairy School, yet they insist on including it EVERY episode.

I know their profit margin is minimal, but if you want people coming back, you've got to generate new content. I think that's the best part of this HBO thing.
    For us, though, it's more likely I'll just throw in a disc from the "Old School" collection.

26. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

It has gone down hill since we were kids, now it's a tool to push the politically correct agendas and train kids to be sheep like most PBS shows anymore. I stopped watching it in 84/85 too when I grew out of it.

27. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

To be fair, though, they did that back in the good ol' days, too.

Let's count the segments that'd repeat themselves:

- The Martians. (Nooooopenopenopenopenopenope.....Yupyupyupyupyupyupyup)
    - The two-headed monster that'd pronounce two halves of words.
    - The chef dropping X number of pies on himself.
    - Onetwothree FOUR FIVE six seveneight NINE TEN ELEVEN TWELVE!!!
    - Grover serving a hamburger to that blue headed guy.
    - Kermit as the reporter wearing the raincoat.
    - The typwriter. (Numenumenu...)

I mean, they didn't always do the same word or object or whatever, but the segments probably were recycled umpteen gajillion times, or featured variations that were so slight that our parents might've thought every episode was the same episode.

I'd say the biggest shakeup was when Sesame Street confronted all children with the prospect of mortality when Mr. Hooper died. Which I remember crying about as a wee lad in 1983.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  28. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Get out of my head!

Wes R likes this.
  29. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Fun fact: the Pointer Sisters sang that. No joke.

Axlotl, Wes R and KrangPrime like this.
  30. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

yep, all too true. don't forget the guy who may or may not have been jim henson dressed as a chef (but was def voiced by him) falling down the stairs with a cake. that used to scare me as a kid.....even though you knew he was ok at the end ;o).

but at least the above skits, most of the time like with kermit the reporter, and grover the waiter, has something unique in them to make them memorable. these modern skits don't seem to have that.

they even re animated the 'stick of butter, loaf of bread and container of milk' skit and it looks worse than before...
    Nowhere NEAR as charming as the original hand animated one..

31. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Well, the "charming" quality is probably more a matter of nostalgia and adult perspective. I'll bet in 30 years, people who are kids today will be complaining about how AI-animated cartoons are nowhere near as good as the good ol' human-using-a-mouse CGI shows they loved as kids.

Anyway, Sesame Street -- like much of children's television -- is steeped in repetition. I think it's probably better to say that it's more about providing consistency and predictability for kids, which allows them to feel as if they're grasping the concepts, and are gaining mastery of the world around them. I don't have a problem with repetition per se. It's repetitive annoying things that, well, annoy me. I mean, say what you will, but the Pinball song was freakin' catchy. Whereas a lot of other kids music...sucks.

This is why I bought my friends copies of They Might Be Giants' album Here Comes Science, and the Caspar Babypants album when they first had kids. If you have to listen to kids music, it might as well be decent.

32. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I agree, let's face it Mr Rogers had a formula to his show too even if the subjects were different daily. Once in a while he'd shake things up by going on a tour of a place in Pittsburgh to see how things were made (even up until he retired) so that was like a special treat. I always liked his show better than Sesame. Actually I used to watch PBS all day and a lot of the shows were public broadcasts for schools so I'd see sesame and rogers in the morning and then science and art shows (the art chest?) in the afternoons when schools would show the episodes live.

Not sesame street but the good old days of PBS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1KRC1TYvhw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNe_iVcYIM

33. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Anyone remember The Secret City with Commander Mark and Zebtron? A really fun show teaching drawing skills.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgLeSe8pN3s

I was in college majoring in art when this was on and even though it is quite juvenile, I still actually learned some stuff from it.

34. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I remember 3-2-1 Contact! and The Electric Company. When we'd travel for vacation, I'd catch Today's Special sometimes. And, of course, as a child, PBS was always running various Tom Baker era Doctor Who, and Bob Ross shows.

35. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

36. Dreddful

Dreddful Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sesame Street doesn't resemble the show I watched in the 80's AT ALL. Now when my kids turn it on, all I see is Elmo and Abby, and they are super obnoxious characters. That's about it. Not the show I grew up on for sure.

Wes R and KrangPrime like this.
  37. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Hahahahaha! I remember this! Is this the oldest thing on the intarwebz, or that the "Farting Preacher"?

Regardless, god bless Sesame Street for exposing kids of all ethnicities to KLEZMER music!

*edit* But seriously, and on topic: "Sesame Street" began it's decline when it started condescending to children, instead of talking to them to like people.

Inquisitor Peregrinus and Wes R like this.
  38. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

Emphasized for emphasis.

Axlotl likes this.
  39. Krull

Krull Sr Member

This is gonna sound weird...but well with me that's normal.

I never watched this as a young kid but for some reason when I was like ten until maybe twelve I watched it,or was that at thirteen? all I know is I did not watch this when I was supposed to but a bit older.

However I've never watched it since,I do remember I found the muppet show funnier as a kid,Swedish Chef!! still haven't watched any of that for years.

40. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

[​IMG]
    I keed, I keed!

Attached Files:

41. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They have more than enough material to put in syndication for the next few generations over and over and over to just stop making new ones. The new stuff isn't great.

KrangPrime likes this.
  42. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

^ And the old stuff actually still stands up. Just keep a running re-run channel of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, 3-2-1 Contact, vintage Sesame Street, both Cosmos series, Free To Be You and Me, and Schoolhouse Rock.

--Jonah

43. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Don't forget Ken Burns' Civil War!

44. batguy

batguy Sr Member

Going through all those hours of video footage, replacing all the confederate flags with walkie-talkies . . . that's gonna be a big job.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    Larry T and Axlotl like this.
  45. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I never had a problem with all the repetition in these types of shows. I mean, isn't that the point? To drill these concepts into kids' heads so they will remember them and actually learn from them?

46. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

your wright

Inquisitor Peregrinus likes this.
  47. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

That's all school basically is: repetition to drill stuff into your heads, though it seems like creativity isn't pushed as much as it was in school.

48. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

know buddy likes a smart butte ;o)

- - - Updated - - -

arn't you basically the puppet version of ren? only with an added cigar?

cue nick lawyers ;o)