Has anyone used nail polish with an airbrush to paint props or models?

I don't know I think I'd stick with paint. It did make me think of that Home Improvement episode where Jill touched up the paint on the car with nail polish and Tim flips out. :lol

It's enamel paint and they do air brush it at salon's.
They have an assortment of iridescent and metallic paints that I don't think you can get with regular model paint.

It's enamel paint and they do air brush it at salon's.
They have an assortment of iridescent and metallic paints that I don't think you can get with regular model paint.

I did this 15+ years ago on a model corvette. It turned out real well. I think I used acetone to thin it. Anyway, I don't know if it's just regular enamel. For one it dries a bit faster. I also seem to remember trying enamel thinner first and ending up with a goopy mess. Then again it might vary by brand.

Works really great and dries really fast (acetone used as a thinner will do that for ya) Also, to apply many coats in a short amount of time, you can use baby oil between coats.
The "varnish" component of the nail polish will rise to the surface quicker and dry even faster! Don't forget to remove the oil before each coat, of course.
As for the cleaning of the airbrush, acetone, baby oil and finishing with acetone will do the trick.
Good luck!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back