Has Anyone Gone To A Hospital In Costume?

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone here has ever visited children in Hospitals in costume before? I have a big replica collection and I always wanted the Spider-Man movie suit and I finally found a good one and bought it. I figured I would wear it on Halloween and I wanted to go to a Comic Con since I have never been to one. Well my Grandmother had a heart attack two weeks ago and I spent a lot of time with her in the Hospital and it was just a very depressing place for her and I thought how must a child feel in a place like that. And I thought that maybe I could visit Kids in the Hospital as Spider-Man and cheer them up. I remember seeing him as a kid at Universal Studios and i freaked out I was happy for days. I figured I would go to a hospital and ask the head nurse to ask parents the day before if they would like to have their child visited by Spider-Man and the next day I would go and visit each kid for a while. Has anyone done anything like this before? And if you did how did it work out did the kids enjoy it? Thanks for your input.

spiderman3front.jpg

Yea I've done it years ago, I'll try to find some pics - even now I am trying to organize some heros to be "on call" as it were with the charities I deal with on the radio side of things.

That being said, you gotta call and talk with the admins to make sure you can even go in to the building with your costume depending on materials used on said suit, because some patients have allergies to certain materials - ie latex, certain chemicals in foam, etc.

I have with the Star Wars group that I costume with (501st) and I would say that the 501st have the most experience with it.

These days I believe that the hospitals are required to so security checks on people coming in... can't just have anyone in a mask showing up :lol

It is a truely amazing and rewarding experience though. There is nothing quite like bringing a smile to someone during a dark time.

Yes :)

well, not me, I was just looking after our UK Garrison guys :)

I arranged a hospital visit to the hospital I am training at to visit the kids in the Peadiatric Ward. It was great!! And it wasnt just the kids who enjoyed it ;) The staff went mad for us! We ended up going around the whole hospital, including A&E, Dialysis and the Haemotology unit ;)

UHCW.jpg

Definitely good fun :) As has already been said, this is a regular thing in the 501st!

I would recommend taking someone with you to watch your back though if visibility is limited in your Spidey mask, as small kids pop up from everywhere ;)

And as has already been said, consider security checks etc and find out if they are needed! Because we did our visit through the 501st/UKG it was fine, as we are a charitable organisation and we were never alone with the kids. But if you are just doing it as a "member of the public" so to speak they may be a bit more cautious!

In the UK you need something called a CRB check, but I cant see from your profile what country you're from, so I couldnt comment on the regulations :)

But these things aside, it's a great experience and very rewarding!!!

Last edited:
Done it many a time with the 501st. Very rewarding indeed! I'd definitely talk to the staff there well in advance to see what their thoughts are

A lot of hospitals have a staff position and/or volunteer themselves who helps coordinate visits of this nature. You can call or stop by the unit ahead of time and they'll help you contact whoever this person is.

I've been Spidey myself before in a Pediatric hospital:

100_1821.jpg

and some kids love him- and some kids get scared because of the mask. You've got to be cautious and aware of this before entering each room. While it appears that your chest symbol is probably urethane, just in case it isn't be aware that some patients can have severe latex allergies.

Kids are going to ask you to climb walls and shoot webs, so I'd suggest telling them that its against the hospital's rules :) It also helps break the ice a little if you've got some comic-themed little toys or comics to give away (my local comic store usually has comics left over from Free Comic Book Day that they'll donate). Good Luck!

Allen

Thank you all for the good advise, I recently moved to South Jersey so I was thinking of trying to find a Pediatric Hospital in the area that I can visit. I was thinking I would try and walk around with a current volunteer at the Hospital or maybe a staff employee so maybe it would be easier to get a OK since I would not be alone with the kids. I think that you guys that have done it are awesome. When you go and there are parents there are they usually OK with it what is their reaction like? Did you find that it was a surprise to the kids when you show up? I would like to cheer up some of them did you find that it did cheer some up?

You're doing something really cool and giving their child a moment they will never forget. As far as they are concerned, you are the real spider man and you get to be the real deal for the parents and child for just a little bit. Putting a smile on someone's face like that is the coolest thing in the world. The parents and kids always love it :thumbsup

I've done the Hospital visits, too, with the local 501st. It definitely helps to go in groups, or with another costuming partner. Most likely, members of your local 501st own super-hero costumes, and you all can go together, creating a bigger impact.

A lot of the parents enjoy it more than their kids do, lol. A lot of the kids will kind of be in shock when you show up, so don't get down on yourself if they don't seem overtly excited when you first walk in- but you can often hear the excitement after you leave, or the stories from the staff later! :)

Ihave done it a few times :) The first was when I was 16 and in a giant Peter Rabbit costume. I was very thankful as I was able to bawl my eyes out and not have any of the kids see. They needed a day of forgetting their sadnes.

First thing to do is to check with the hospital. There are heaps of charity groups that will do various things at the hospital all of whom have to filter through the staff at the hospital. it may seem strange but you may even be able to find the people you want with the click of a mouse.

Oh and if there is anything you can do in the way of other hands on service, such as volunteering to read to the elderly or do tea rounds please think of that too ;) I spent three days in hospital last year stuck on a bed with a drip and people who snored. The tea rounds were a bright spot ;) It can be more meaningful to have someone to chat to. Though for kids- getting presents overshadows even favourite characters ;)

all i can say is...DO IT!

It is worth every minute. Talk to Hospital admins and they can set it up for up.

Also... nice suit! Who did it for u?

Just go ahead and do it. It will make atleast one day in the hospital a bit brighter. Nothing ia as good as when a childs face light up, when they see you comming.

vihcsx.jpg

Copenhagen main hospital.

I emailed a bunch of hospitals and children's hospitals and two organizations. I also spoke with a local comic shop who said if I do a appearance at the shop he will donate comics for me to give away at the hospitals. Thank you for all the advice guys I will let you know what happens and how it goes. Thanks again

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back