Has anyone done any 'THE ISLAND' props?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Jedifyfe, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My wife made me watch this movie and I liked it...all be it a Logans Run rip-off. None the less there were some pretty cool props to be done. Anyone make any yet????

2. arkangel

arkangel Well-Known Member

I'd like to have a clone of Scarlett Johansen. :)

3. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I seriously disagree on the LR rip.

That aside, I too would love to see a few props or replicas. I think the key that is used in several scenes would be pretty cool.

4. Mookie

Mookie New Member

On the wall in Lincoln's bedroom is the following product...if I remember correctly.

PowerMate

It's for Macs from Griffin in aluminum.

Mookie

5. SurferGeek

Yeah, it's on the wall next to the vid panel that he uses to report a missing shoe. :lol

6. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

i would love to have the following island props:

tracksuit and shoes
    trikey
    of course, the bug in a jar

7. Jedifyfe

" I seriously disagree on the LR rip."

You don't think that the entire movie is the exact same premise than that of Logans Run???? :eek I mean other than them being clones of people, the fact that they all live in a utopian underground society that is scared into never questioning why they can never leave and that it is a young guy and a his love interest whom are trying to escape....I mean a rose by any other name would....anyway, but I digress.

:D

8. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

i know what you mean, but totally was not a rip of logans run.
    the main reason i liked this movie is because it had the same sense of mystery as movies like logan's run, soylent green, blade runner, all the old sci fi films that had a feeling of mystery aside from the action and sci fi elements. It felt like those old movies. most new movies don't have those types of plots. But was it a rip of logan's run? no, I don't think it even borrowed from it intentionally.

9. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

10. xeno

xeno Well-Known Member

I loved the movie, it's hard making a movie about clones
    without looking like Clonus or Logans run....I don't really care

but after watching the movie I just had to buy the phone :D
    it's not often you can buy a prop replica that is usable in everyday
    life.

Xeno

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I have not seen Clonus but on paper the makers of that film certainly seem to have a case. One of my co-workers saw it, and he was adament that The Island was a remake of Clonus. The next day the law suit was announced, and he got a laugh out of seeing that.

I enjoyed The Island as a fun popcorn flick. It was pretty sugary sweet and fluffy, and fairly forgettable, but fun anyway. I don't remember walking away from it wanting any prop from the film though, what stands out as a cool prop from this film? Did I miss it?

12. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What stands out as a cool prop from the film? Are you kidding me? Didn't you see that badass yacht at the end of the movie? Way out of my collecting price range though. As I'd want a functioning 1:1 model.

13. Jedifyfe

I have not seen Clonus either...sounds good though. I too really thought that this was a good sci-fi flick. THe only prop I think would be cool is the wrist band ID. Looks neat.

14. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

Holy THX 1138 sequel Batman.
    I just saw The Island last night and loved the similarities to THX. White suits, underground utopia, drugs to regulate behavior, limited physical contact, code number identities "THX 1138" vs "Lincoln 6 Echo," working on stuff they don't understand, "be happy" type talk constantly running over the PA system, the background radio chatter, the video monitored cells, the video screens of cell surveillance, institute police wearing black suit contrasting the white, the escape to the surface...etc

The thing that I liked about it was that this picked up where THX left off. Once THX got to the surface, the story ended. I liked the explanation of what exactly was going on and I loved the chase scene with the train axles. It's funny, but if you watch it as a sequel to THX, the story might be appreciated more. I gave it two thumbs up.

Regarding props, I'm going to have to watch it again :D

15. aliensarchive

aliensarchive Well-Known Member

I'd love some stuff from this movie.

So many millions spent on this and the only things to surface have been a coupe of costumes.

16. Trooper TK409

17. well paid killer

well paid killer Well-Known Member

One of the "swat team" members throws on a cool looking black hocky type mask that I thought looked like a decent prop to obtain. I also loved the movie no matter what other films it highly refects on...

18. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

im workin on the matchbox graphic....will definatley post when finished in the free prop thread.

19. Trooper TK409

20. aliensarchive

21. xeno

xeno Well-Known Member

can't beleive with so many tracksuits made for the movie, there
    were non on ebay or the Prop store.

Xeno

22. Propazoid

Propazoid Well-Known Member

Ebay just sold one last week from some charity auction.

-Zoid

23. aliensarchive

There have been two.

24. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

Saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hey it's Michael Bey

sure it's derivative, but there was enough of an original spin on it for him to call it his own.

It was far smarter and better then I anticipated

I see some of THX in it, but honestly, the tone of THX was so intentionally slow and monotonous, like the lives of the folks who lived in that "utopian" world, there were also some Boy and His Dog likenesses, as well as some Gattaca style dehumanizing, amongst others.

Honestly I don't see it as any more derivative then Star Wars. Bey took a lot of ideas that had been done, threw them in a blender, and came out with something his own.

The only problem I had with the island, was the spontaneous memory generation, but at least it served the plot

as for the props, I think the stand out is the ID bracelets, if there was on item I'd like to have, I think the bracelet is the signature piece

anyone have any info on the bracelets?

25. Trooper TK409

26. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

so I've been digging around, and they kinda look like a really spiffy hose clamp or a retaining ring to me... so I've been scouring hoseclamp manufacturers sites...
    but it makes sense to me as they had hundreds of extras as clones and they all had one
    (and they were perfectly round)

if I discover anything I'll pass it along...

I'm thinking I'm right at this point

http://www.teconnex.com/products/clamps_couplings.htm

27. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

Hey Trooper

I found some online clips from The Island, and I noticed when they are showing the clones
    in their big silicone * implant pockets (sorry, that's what they look like. I think I've been watching too much Nip/Tuck)

Anyways, on the black hoses that go into them, their appears to be a clamp on the hose, and it looks identical to the ID bracelets. Can you do a screen grab and confirm this?

28. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

surprised nobody mentioned the cool dart guns used to haul Michale Clark Duncan through the hallway by his calves.

29. arkangel

It would be great to get a positive ID on the bracelets themselves, considering the info band could be easily made with thin acrylic sheet and backlit with an LED. I agree that this is definitely the signature prop from this movie. Love to see these made. :)

30. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

these would be an awesome prop.
    It is more likley that they were backlit with EL sheet as apposed to an LED. Paper thin and they can be quite bright.

31. Lawgiver

Lawgiver Well-Known Member

I agree, I want a gun.

32. TReinman

TReinman Well-Known Member

Well, I really liked the movie. But I have to admit, the fact that many of the downtown scenes were filmed a few blocks from where I work added to my enjoyment..

I have a couple things "from the set": A resin "bolt" that held down the hover-coupling-things for the trains that float by, near ground. A "do not touch" type sign that was on one of the gigantic steam vents. And lastly, a hunk of the Armored Car after it ripped that police car in half.

I'll take some pics.

If someone can do a quick favour, I'd like to see a screen shot of the establishing shot of them, just before asking for the Information Kiosk (or whatever they called it). (I was standing just off camera when they filmed that, by the way.)

Anyway, looking down the street in the distance, is a red and white mural on a building. It's very tiny, but it's the Steve Yzerman mural that was here in Detroit for a few years.

I'd like to check that out. Thanks.

-- Tim

P.S. Sorry for the hijack... Here's that panel, the yellow only, it's about 6 x 8 inches:
    [image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/DSC05450Panel.JPG[/image] Thanks WC.

33. redshirt

redshirt Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd like a metal recreated "BRACELET" prop with lighting too. That would be VERY COOL.. Anyone ready to build this?

34. redshirt

I can't get this page to load?

35. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

I started THIS THREAD a while back and got no response.

I think it's a cool prop.

FB

36. trooperprop

trooperprop Well-Known Member

Has nothing been made so far??
    I wonder if any props will surface.

Greetings,

BasD

37. Jedifyfe

38. nightrider

nightrider Sr Member

Guess I'm a bit late on this one, but I got this flashlight for Christmas last year from my wife and I believe it is the one used by Ewan when he's in the tunnel areas. Can get it at Target.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whoops, shoulda made those pics a bit smaller, hope nobody has dial up. :p

39. redshirt

I'd like to get a bracelet, anyone doing this?
    [​IMG]

40. CeSquared

CeSquared Sr Member

The phone Sean Bean uses is a Nokia 8801.

It's a cool phone with a lot of features. The battery life is pathetic though and the ringtones that come with the phone are kinda creepy. Plus, the phone retails for $649 and the main carrier is T-Mobile but you can get unlocked versions on eBay for about $325.

It definitely draws attention though. It got me a conversation with a gorgeous girl standing in line at Togos so that made me forget the price. :D

41. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Odd that this popped up again the same night I sit down with my girlfriend and watch it on cable, and an hour later I'm online and see this thread.

I didn't notice before but the cops had some cool guns.

There were a couple cool guns, and then the obligatory glocks and M16s showed up.

While I still don't like the "mano a mano" ending, I think I can chalk this up as a guilty pleasure.

:thumbsup

42. SurferGeek

Bump on an old thread to see if anyone did any of these...

43. ALLEY

ALLEY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  44. SurferGeek

Re: Has anyone done any 'THE ISLAND' props?

Nothing fancy really... was looking through Amazon and ran across a flask that caught my eye and I knew I'd seen it before. ;)

"Stainless Steel Jerry Can Flask"

$15 for the 6 oz and $16 for the 8 oz. From the caps it appears to be the 8 oz version.

[​IMG]

You see it when L6E sneaks out and again later in when they're on the run in James' trailer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

45. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Looks like all of the bracelet pics have disappeared... can someone send me a few shots of this piece?

Thanks!

46. arkangel

Glad to see this resurface. I remember posting in another old thread that had a great screencap of the Lincoln bracelet, but there were no leads on whether or not it was made from a found item, aside from it resembling a tension clamp.
    This would definitely be a cool prop. :love

47. arkangel

Oops.... this IS that old thread. :lol

48. PredHunter

PredHunter New Member

Great info on the Wally Boat, I was always wondering if it was a real boat. Got the questioned answered. Thanks

Happy Holidays

49. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Yeah, I have not seen a good shot on the net of the piece either.

50. SurferGeek

Here 'ya go Walter! ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]