Harry Potter "Rune Dictionary" book prop replica

ecl

Sr Member
I'm going to post my progress on the Rune Dictionary from Harry Potter. It's a lesser known book prop but one of my favorites. I will be attempting to do a complete fabricated interior and finishing the book based on some references taken by others at the HP tour in England.

Screen prop reference found on google:

The digital file I've reconstructed and using to print my covers:

Cover so far, freshly printed on fabric paper with gold foil. The fabric will be peeled off from the paper backing and glued to a thin cardboard type of surface and aged.

46582567.jpg

A couple of closeups of the fabric paper texture.

72091202.jpg

85619444.jpg

This is a long term project, but i'll update it as things move a long!

Last edited:
Re: Harry Potter "Runes Dictionary" book prop replica progress

Do you realize you started THREE threads on this topic?

Waaaay better than a double post. :)

lol, that sucks I didn't even notice that. I think it had to with rpf freezing up and me clicking on post too many times. I just flagged the other ones, hopefully mods can remove them.

I see a issue / problem.. There's only 1 cover.. Shouldn't there be 2?? :love

Looks great..

This looks awesome, love the publication details etc.! Keep going!

It's funny because even though most of those runes go back a long way and have been utilized by everybody including Tolkein, when I saw the cover of your prop my first thought was "somebody on the Potter set had played Ultima III."

Thanks everyone; I've started to age the front cover. I'll likely make a few spares of the covers too. The interior will take the longest as an appropriate layout will have to be made and then each page needs to be printed separately and aged.

40611867.jpg

What type of fabric did you use? That looks like it took the ink really well. What the base color of the fabric?

Hi Chris,

I've been surprised by this paper as well, it's easy to find in most places:

Walmart.com: Inkjet Fabric Sheets, 10pk: Crafts

I got mine from Michael's (you can usually find 40% off coupons too) and it runs through inkjet printers. I wasn't sure initially how it would look, but it does take the ink very well. I'm using an ancient Epson 1280 printer also. I had the resolution set high to make sure it printed out fine. Color doesn't print as saturated as paper, but it might be possible to compensate for. The base color is white, and the texture is fine.

The only "issue" that I encountered was that after I applied the gold heat transfer foil, the paper backing behind the fabric (the actual fabric part is very thin, and usually peels off easily from the paper backing) the heat actually nearly permanently fixed the backing on the fabric. Not a huge deal in this case as I just went ahead and directly glued it over the thin cardboard backing for the cover, and just left the backing on. But normally it comes right off.

I'm planning on using this same process to make another Advanced Potion Making book as well.

Last edited:
Re: Harry Potter "Rune Dictionary" book prop replica progress

oh,..i will be watching this thread woooo,.. very nice start ecl (y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

A few more photos of the progress. I'll have to take updated photos of the interior pages, as the font has since been changed.

Since it's going to take a very long time to do the interior pages, I decided to cut down a bunch of cream colored paper to size so at least I'll have a displayable book while the other stuff is getting worked on. A back cover still needs to be made and it's not bound yet. I also tore into the fabric on the cover more.

eclk.jpg

I have to say, I'm still a bit curious about the process of getting the foil on the fabric. I understand that it needs the toner from a laser printer then apply the foil and then print the inkjet over it for the rest of the lettering and color, etc. So I guess what I was wondering was, where did you go to have the fabric paper run though a laser printer? or did you do it with your own laser printer and if so where do you think would be best to go to have a laser print on the fabric?

ib

The fabric sheets I used are actually backed with paper, kind of like a sticker has backing. Because of this it can be fed through a copier/printer like a normal sheet of paper. I don't have a laser printer so I fed it through a copy machine. A simple black and white copier will do fine.

The thing about the foil in this case is that it's very hard to get it to work on the fabric. Usually its easy to do on paper. I tried it about 5 times and all of them have some black showing through where the foil didn't take. But I didn't really care in this case as the cover for this prop is supposed to be very worn anyways.

Great Job on this ecl... I truly love your work and aging.

Pls. forgive but i have to ask...will you go to share the high(mid)-res version of the front- and backcover template? :$ Would be awesome :love

Murdoc, I've actually posted the front cover file on the Free Potter props thread, I'll update it here soon too.

Ibspitfire, actually I did get mine printed (foil parts only) at a Staples. Simple and easy haha. But the rest of the image I printed on my own setup.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back