Harry Potter question

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok first I absolutely hate shows with magic, dragons, you know things like Dungeons & Dragons or LOTR. The only thing I've ever liked in that genre is the Game of Thrones series. I decided to watch the Harry Potter movies because I had played both LEGO games with my nephew. They are really good! I put off watching them, but they are really good movies. So if you don't like that stuff give it a chance.

Anyway my question is in the last movie (I think) when they are returning to Hogwarts and are going through Hogsmeade (I think that was it) you hear a screaming noise almost like an alarm. What is that? It was on the LEGO game and my nephew didn't know what it was either.

It's the Caterwaul Charm - there is a curfew in Hogsmeade put on by the death eaters and going outside after the curfew triggers the alarm.

Wow.. Someone who hadn't seen them!! As Roland said, if you enjoyed the movies, definitely read the books.. I honestly can't get enough of them and read them constantly.. LOL..

I second everyone's urging you to read the books....you don't know what good is until you do. The movies gloss over so much of the complex story lines and leave out enormous amounts of fun, whimsical and absolutely charming plotlines and characters. If you can read it in it's original English, I would do so. So much of what is fabulous about the series is in Rowlings use of the language.

If you notice, the 'CATerwauling alarm' is the sound of a screeching cat. Just one small whimsical wordplay in thousands in the books. This just does not come through in the movies at all.

Not to take anything away from her writing but she didn't exactly invent caterwaul. It's a real word/sound that existed long before JK ever put pen to paper and it refers to a cat's screech. So I wouldn't really credit her with whimsical wordplay there.

I may be remembering completely wrong, but I was under the impression that in the book, it was the sound of voldemort's voice... Not a cat.

Like I say, I could be wrong.

In the books it was simply a loud, piercing scream, the text doesn't specifically say it's a cat or Voldemort, but the charm IS called the Caterwauling Charm. And yes, "caterwaul" is a real word. Even though J.K. Rowling does use many, many clever wordplays throughout the books that word isn't one of them.

Huge fan of the books and the movies, but I always felt that the killing curse sounded way too much like "abra cadabra" to be taken seriously.

"Abra Cadabra" is a dirivitive of Avada Kedavra, which I believe is Arabic, which means "let the thing go away" or "let the thing be destroyed". So she did her research in terms of language. Abra Cadabra is what the phrase has morphed into over the decades by being used by countless magicians.

"Abra Cadabra" is a dirivitive of Avada Kedavra, which I believe is Arabic, which means "let the thing go away" or "let the thing be destroyed". So she did her research in terms of language. Abra Cadabra is what the phrase has morphed into over the decades by being used by countless magicians.

Oh, I understand the origin, and the fact that it has a purpose. I was just referring to the fact that "abra cadabra" is now adays that goofy phrase that pops into mind when thinking of magicians.

:lol I see your point. Personally, I never understood her naming Voldemort's followers...Death Eaters. Death...Eaters??? She couldn't come up with anything less goofy than that? :)

"Abra Cadabra" is a dirivitive of Avada Kedavra, which I believe is Arabic, which means "let the thing go away" or "let the thing be destroyed".

Not Arabic, but Aramaic ("avd ke davar"). And yes, it means "let the thing go away/disappear". :)

Aramaic. Knew it was something like that. Thanks, Roland! :thumbsup

Oh, and if anyone can provide any insight into the "Death Eaters" thing it would be most appreciated.

Okay, apparently the name "Voldemort" is of French origin and means "flight from death" or "theft of death". Nowhere in there does it say anything about having Death as a snack. :lol

Ok first I absolutely hate shows with magic, dragons, you know things like Dungeons & Dragons or LOTR. The only thing I've ever liked in that genre is the Game of Thrones series. I decided to watch the Harry Potter movies because I had played both LEGO games with my nephew. They are really good! I put off watching them, but they are really good movies. So if you don't like that stuff give it a chance.

If you like Game of Thrones and now Harry Potter, maybe you want to reconsider the entire fantasy genre.

Excalibur
Time Bandits
Conan the Barbarian
Ladyhawke
Willow
The Dark Crystal

If you like Game of Thrones and now Harry Potter, maybe you want to reconsider the entire fantasy genre.

Excalibur
Time Bandits
Conan the Barbarian
Ladyhawke
Willow
The Dark Crystal

I agree. Time Bandits is awesome. Might as well add "Legend" to that list.

ONLY for those who have read ALL the books: Reread them in reverse order, if you can tolerate that sort of thing. It gave me a great insight into what Dumbledore revealed to Harry, when and (sort-of) why!

Some complaints (even by Harry) have been 'Why didn't Dumbledore give Harry everything he needed at the beginning?' Backwards, you realise just how young Harry was in each year at Hogwarts.

If burdened with the whole truth at the first, Harry would never have returned to school!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back