Harry Potter question

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Sluis Van Shipyards, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Ok first I absolutely hate shows with magic, dragons, you know things like Dungeons & Dragons or LOTR. The only thing I've ever liked in that genre is the Game of Thrones series. I decided to watch the Harry Potter movies because I had played both LEGO games with my nephew. They are really good! I put off watching them, but they are really good movies. So if you don't like that stuff give it a chance.

Anyway my question is in the last movie (I think) when they are returning to Hogwarts and are going through Hogsmeade (I think that was it) you hear a screaming noise almost like an alarm. What is that? It was on the LEGO game and my nephew didn't know what it was either.

2. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

It's the Caterwaul Charm - there is a curfew in Hogsmeade put on by the death eaters and going outside after the curfew triggers the alarm.

3. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You like the movies? So read the books and you will know, what's really, really good. Give them a chance! ;)

4. Sluis Van Shipyards

Ok thanks. I figured it was probably something like that.

5. Beechy McFly

Beechy McFly Sr Member

Wow.. Someone who hadn't seen them!! As Roland said, if you enjoyed the movies, definitely read the books.. I honestly can't get enough of them and read them constantly.. LOL..

6. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

I second everyone's urging you to read the books....you don't know what good is until you do. The movies gloss over so much of the complex story lines and leave out enormous amounts of fun, whimsical and absolutely charming plotlines and characters. If you can read it in it's original English, I would do so. So much of what is fabulous about the series is in Rowlings use of the language.

If you notice, the 'CATerwauling alarm' is the sound of a screeching cat. Just one small whimsical wordplay in thousands in the books. This just does not come through in the movies at all.

7. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

Not to take anything away from her writing but she didn't exactly invent caterwaul. It's a real word/sound that existed long before JK ever put pen to paper and it refers to a cat's screech. So I wouldn't really credit her with whimsical wordplay there.

8. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

I may be remembering completely wrong, but I was under the impression that in the book, it was the sound of voldemort's voice... Not a cat.

Like I say, I could be wrong.

9. Vermithrax 4

Vermithrax 4 Well-Known Member

In the books it was simply a loud, piercing scream, the text doesn't specifically say it's a cat or Voldemort, but the charm IS called the Caterwauling Charm. And yes, "caterwaul" is a real word. Even though J.K. Rowling does use many, many clever wordplays throughout the books that word isn't one of them.

10. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Huge fan of the books and the movies, but I always felt that the killing curse sounded way too much like "abra cadabra" to be taken seriously.

11. Vermithrax 4

"Abra Cadabra" is a dirivitive of Avada Kedavra, which I believe is Arabic, which means "let the thing go away" or "let the thing be destroyed". So she did her research in terms of language. Abra Cadabra is what the phrase has morphed into over the decades by being used by countless magicians.

12. aeonpulse

Oh, I understand the origin, and the fact that it has a purpose. I was just referring to the fact that "abra cadabra" is now adays that goofy phrase that pops into mind when thinking of magicians.

13. Vermithrax 4

:lol I see your point. Personally, I never understood her naming Voldemort's followers...Death Eaters. Death...Eaters??? She couldn't come up with anything less goofy than that? :)

14. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not Arabic, but Aramaic ("avd ke davar"). And yes, it means "let the thing go away/disappear". :)

15. Vermithrax 4

Aramaic. Knew it was something like that. Thanks, Roland! :thumbsup

Oh, and if anyone can provide any insight into the "Death Eaters" thing it would be most appreciated.

16. Vermithrax 4

Okay, apparently the name "Voldemort" is of French origin and means "flight from death" or "theft of death". Nowhere in there does it say anything about having Death as a snack. :lol

17. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

If you like Game of Thrones and now Harry Potter, maybe you want to reconsider the entire fantasy genre.

Excalibur
    Time Bandits
    Conan the Barbarian
    Ladyhawke
    Willow
    The Dark Crystal

18. aeonpulse

I agree. Time Bandits is awesome. Might as well add "Legend" to that list.

19. Sluis Van Shipyards

I've seen all of those and besides The Dark Crystal, I don't like them. It's just not my thing.

20. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member

ONLY for those who have read ALL the books: Reread them in reverse order, if you can tolerate that sort of thing. It gave me a great insight into what Dumbledore revealed to Harry, when and (sort-of) why!

Some complaints (even by Harry) have been 'Why didn't Dumbledore give Harry everything he needed at the beginning?' Backwards, you realise just how young Harry was in each year at Hogwarts.

If burdened with the whole truth at the first, Harry would never have returned to school!

21. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

I noticed the avada kedavra/abra kadabra similarity, but I really latched on to the kedavra part. It sounded, to me, like cadaver, as in, dead body. So I enjoyed the killing curse, in that regards. I also really like R.F.'s take on the delivery of the words of the curse.

The end.

22. Darthdavi79

Darthdavi79 Member

really, I am fan of Harry Potter and not know more better than the movie.
    I prefer the book, you can to know better as than movie.

23. MagicRobot

MagicRobot Member

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, but i find some goofiness in the earlier books (that just disappeared later on) a bit hard to look back on. I think it worked well because the writing style aged with the characters. Definitely read the books but don't let the kid friendly writing stop you. They are awesome.