Harry Potter prop replica Fantastic Beasts and where to find them custom cover 1st edition

Nowonder

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Immagine.png
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share my latest (and first here on the rpf) project. It's a custom cover version for "Fantastic Beasts and where to find them", to make it just like the prop for the 1st edition of the book published by Newt Scamander in "Crimes of Grindelwald". As for the content, I used the version published by Scholastic in 2017, the one with no significant illustrations and a big, simple miniature for each letter of the alphabet openening the chapters. This is how I imagine the content of a 1st edition book published in the late 20s, and the linear and simple design of the letter just fitted perectly! Of course this is a lttle smaller than the actual prop. by the way, thoughts, comments and suggestions for future attempts are much appreciated!

UPDATE: I have started a run on these:

Limited Run - Harry Potter prop book replica Fantastic Beasts and where to find them custom 1st edition cover

20190226_160726.jpg
20190226_160730.jpg
20190226_160747.jpg
20190226_160803.jpg
20190226_160819.jpg
20190226_160829.jpg

Screenshot_20190303-114924_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Kovnyn

Sr Member
They are visible now.

Well done on the prop. I've not yet seen Crimes of Grindelwald, but based on the shot from the film, I'd say you nailed it.

nurmengart

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nowonder

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Would you mind letting me know if this is the licensed notebook that you are taking the cover from?

Is the backcover coming damaged in those spots from the elastic band?

Fantastic Beasts 2 Premium Notebook, A5 Newt Scamander - Stationery buy now in the shop Close Up GmbH

View attachment 995648

View attachment 995649

Also ... just to confirm ... the book inside ... is it the one with the orange cover?

https://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Beasts-Where-Find-Them/dp/1338132318

Thank you! (y)
Yes that's it! But with a lot of re-adaptation work. Angles of the notebook are rounded, while mine are sharp, space between the gold-foiled design and the end of the cover has been reduced, and of course the book has premium quality decorative paper on the inner cover. As for the holes, they have been filled and covered. Also, the book and the notebook have different shapes and sizes. One of the most noticeable things is that the book cover in the movie looks very shiny, while the notebook has some sort of "matte finish" and the gold foiling, though very beautiful, is also rather weak and tends to come off very easily. I have made it shinier and you can be sure that the gold on my books won't come off even when scratched with a fingernail!

And yes, it's the orange cover edition. It's the simplest edition available, so I thought it was just perfect for a book that has just been "put on the market" and is therefore not too sophisticated.

Last edited:

Nowonder

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I relly like the faux marbeled end-papers! Very period stuff!
Thank you! It's the closest i could get to matching the cover art on the one side and and projecting the book in the late 20s on the other! I Also thought it resembled the one that can be spotted in the movie a lot

Friendly flyer

Just want to tell you lads the book is an absolute beauty. Here's my starting Potter collection (the Shrubs and Trees for the Garden is visible on-screen in Bathillda Bagshots cottage, Deadly Hallows), The others are just there to look cool.

Attachments

Nowonder

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just want to tell you lads the book is an absolute beauty. Here's my starting Potter collection (the Shrubs and Trees for the Garden is visible on-screen in Bathillda Bagshots cottage, Deadly Hallows), The others are just there to look cool.
Wow i'll have a look and see if i can spot them! By the way, i have a couple of upcoming projects... should be abke to post about them very soon!

Van Helmont

I bought three (my daughters can be merciless) and I must say that besides the book itself (amazingly accurate) it was the service after sale which made the difference.
Swift replies, constructive troubleshooting and an overall nice guy!
As soon as Hermione's in, so will I :)