Harry Potter - Daily Prophets

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by LorduDesign, Sep 12, 2015.

1. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Hello everybody!
    I'm young graphic artist from Poland (really young :lol) who loves to recreate props seen in various movies.
    Three years ago I discovered this forum and instantly registered here (I have new account). Maybe you already know what thread I found :D
    Yes - I found Free Harry Potter Paper Props thread :) I tried to print some stuff and hang them on walls etc. It was when I started to be interested in Daily Prophets. In march of this year, 2015 I tried to do something in Photoshop. Yeah, it looked good but I wanted to achieve screen-accuracy and ultra quality. In september I saw Monsters_05's thread. I became really impressed by quality he got and accuracy he achieved. He was huge inspiration for this project and main reason why I'm writing it today. Since beginning of september I tried to get as many references I got. I took more than 2000 frame-by-frame screenshots of Daily Prophets shown in movies. I got references for 95% Prophets which were designed by MinaLima for Harry Potter franchise. I found almost all fonts used on them. I also downloaded new software for making them - CorelDRAW! I always worked in Adobe softwares but I tried to put something new and fresh to my design life!
    On September, the 7th I started doing first Prophet in my project - Break-in at Gringotts from first movie in series - The Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone. I made cover of it, only have to add initials (have to buy Dover books to get them) and add squiggles to the page.
    Day after I ended (almost :lol) doing cover of DP I started doing index page :)
    About 2 weeks later I started doing 2 Prophets at the time - Escape from Azkaban and He Who Must Not Be Named Returns. All in vector :D I finished He Who Must Not Be Named Returns one first and started doing Harry Potter Undesirable No. 1 and finished it. The same day I finished Undesirable No. 1 cover I started finishing my Escape from Azkaban Prophet! Finished it day when I'm writing it :D
    Done all in Adobe Illustrator (illustrations etc.) and CorelDRAW (layout, text and putting everything into Prophet). I'm using screen-accurate dimensions and I hope you like them! I hope to finish all Prophets from movies with complete articles and text. Prophets from movies 1-4 with 8 pages (as screen-used did) (have to update index page of Break-in at Gringotts with new numbering) and 5-7 with 20 pages (actually screen-used had 13 pages but I want to do them accurate to index pages shown in movies)! Enjoy!
    So here's my Prophets (remember that's only a preview, I won't be sharing files with you here):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    ASC McLaren, vitor potter and AidanRO like this.
  2. ecl

ecl Sr Member

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing it progress.

3. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

ecl Thanks! I'll be doing more pages today :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    ecl likes this.
  4. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

UPDATE: Rewritten whole post and added new previews!

5. AidanRO

AidanRO Member

Nice, my friend.
    Keep it up.

LorduDesign likes this.
  6. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Thank you! :D

AidanRO likes this.
  7. vitor potter

vitor potter New Member

Very nice!:D

LorduDesign likes this.
  8. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Thank you Vitor :cool

9. Hinkypunk

Hinkypunk Well-Known Member

Excellent work Lordu :) You're doing really swell! Keep up the great work! Will you eventually be sharing the files in any way shape or form?

Keep it up!

10. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

@Hinkypunk Thank you! :D I'll share some of covers on HP Free Paper Props thread - I think about relasing Weasley Prize Winner Prophet cover and index page when finished to make it like page torn out from Prophet :D

shmartybird likes this.
  11. ecl

ecl Sr Member

fantastic!

12. decat

decat Well-Known Member

Great Job!

13. keelhauler

keelhauler Well-Known Member

looks really great!!

14. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Thank you all! :D

15. LorduDesign

LorduDesign Sr Member

Hey there,
    I had some time today and finished my Dark Mark Sparks Panic front.
    Decided not to do my Prophets with fully readable text. I'm going with screen-accuracy. Of course in not all aspects. New pages or small articles will be written but all fronts and HERO pages will be screen-accurate (instead of fully readable text - filler).
    [​IMG]
    Also started doing work on some ads. Here's one of them. Does anybody know what fonts was used for runes because I cannot find one and one I used isn't accurate.
    [​IMG]