Harry Potter and the Game of Thrones - Mashup Project - FINISHED

House Lannister Wand - Golden Rains

I'd completely forgotten about the Wildlings - So got their wand designed. Very crude..

House Baratheon to go. May to Tyrell? Not sure yet. I also think I'm going to scrap Ice, as it's a little too simple for my liking. No real challenge in making it - and that's kinda the point of all of these..

Baratheon Wand - Antler

Quite a simple design - with some gilded swirling Antlers on Silver, and some Amber. I went with Amber because Robert Baratheon seemed to have them on his sword, so thought I'd include them.

So that's all the wands I had planned designed now - should I do House Tyrell? Roses etc...could be interesting, and another glitzy wand, much like the Lannister one.

Hey Magnavis ! You need to contact J.K. Rowling/Warner Brothers and George R.R. Martin/HBO and get the ball rolling on this mash-up of yours!

GREAT IDEA! Both fan-wise and marketing-wise!

The only one I would revist is the "King of Winter" wand. It just looks too much like the "Longclaw" wand.

I really do think that in mass production these would sell like gang-busters in the $20-$30 range. I don't know what your share of the profits would be considering the wildly high cost of marketing between these two giant franchises, but even a buck a wand from a million wands nets you a million dollars!

In the 'limited production, I built these by hand in my basement with real wood, metal, hair, and Swarovski Crystals, with super-high-end finishing market' you could sell them for several hundreds to thousands of dollars. But you'd be targeting a very niche market of fans with deep pockets. You'd be very successful in that you might sell every one you're able to make, and you'd probably gain a bit of notoriety among both fan bases, but you simply wouldn't be selling the quantity that mass production can pump out at a much lower cost.

Either way, I wish you Great Luck on the completion of a GREAT IDEA!

Hey Magnavis ! You need to contact J.K. Rowling/Warner Brothers and George R.R. Martin/HBO and get the ball rolling on this mash-up of yours!

GREAT IDEA! Both fan-wise and marketing-wise!

The only one I would revist is the "King of Winter" wand. It just looks too much like the "Longclaw" wand.

I really do think that in mass production these would sell like gang-busters in the $20-$30 range. I don't know what your share of the profits would be considering the wildly high cost of marketing between these two giant franchises, but even a buck a wand from a million wands nets you a million dollars!

In the 'limited production, I built these by hand in my basement with real wood, metal, hair, and Swarovski Crystals, with super-high-end finishing market' you could sell them for several hundreds to thousands of dollars. But you'd be targeting a very niche market of fans with deep pockets. You'd be very successful in that you might sell every one you're able to make, and you'd probably gain a bit of notoriety among both fan bases, but you simply wouldn't be selling the quantity that mass production can pump out at a much lower cost.

Either way, I wish you Great Luck on the completion of a GREAT IDEA!

Hey, Yeah I sort of agree with you about the King of Winter one - It is a little too like Longclaw. Also thinking about it, It's a little flashy for House Stark I think - I think they'd have something much more understated.

I agree, they would probably sell very well on a mass production scale. It's not something that's likely to happen though, unfortunately - But I can dream of that million dollars lol

I'll be selling these wands when they're done, and probably making moulds too, leaving an option open to make more in the future should there be any want for them. Not sure how much for yet, but I can't imagine it being more that £40-50 a wand, but that may be massively underselling it - I'll have to do some research.

So changed a couple things: Firstly, I changed the Baratheon wand from Silver to Bronze as a base. I think it suits the Amber a little better. Warm upon warm.

I also (roughly) re-designed the Stark 'King of Winter' wand, removing the large Direwolf head, and going for something a little more reserved. It features the house sigil, and then on the base, a smaller profile of a wolf head.

It's rough, because I did it quick, but it's good enough. Next step is to model them all in 3D (I'll be using Blender). Any pomels or things that will be sculpted and cast will have rough temporary shapes, which I'll 3D print, and use as a base shape for clay. The actual wand piece will be made from wood (with the exception of the Nightking wand, which will be pure resin). The wooden pieces will then likely be cast in resin, but not sure yet.

All of the 'handles' will be cast in resin once printed. Will be printing all piece at 0.06 layer height (which is lowest FDM goes) which should produce some nice clean prints which can be sanded easily enough.

But first the modelling, which shouldn't be too difficult..

I'm also starting to look at materials and stuff for the wands and boxes. I've done wand boxes before (see some of my previous stuff on here) and I've coated them in a faux leather, which works well enough. But I was hoping to find some of that sort of canvas textured stuff that the actual boxes are wrapped in, but I can't find it...so if anyone knows what that stuff they wrap boxes in is called, please tell me lol

Modelling has begun.

Longclaw handle was very simple. Just the general shape, and the holes for some little rubies. The leather part is temp and will be replaced with real leather, and the white blob on the end is the placeholder for the wolf head, which i'll be sculpting. Actual wand piece is only there for show, and won't be printed.

Next up, Heartsbane.

Again, general shape is easy peasy. The small bottom piece is more of less finished, but for a few tweaks. The middle piece is again a temp piece, which will be made wood. All I need to do for this one is the engraving on the top piece, and it's good to go.

Heartsbane model more or less done. Not sure how well this will all print. May invest in a smaller nozzle for these parts to make sure they all print nicely..

House Baratheon Wand - I was catching up on some stuff on Netflix, which is why progress slowed a little. But all done now, so should be able to crack on..

Screen-023.png

Antler details also kinda look like lightning bolts, which is fitting considering Storms End is the Baratheon home.

Also...I got a new toy for this project (And many projects to come).

2019-07-27 13.53.39.jpg

Was at a bargain price, and stock levels are super low, so had to snap it up when I had the chance. Should save me a lot of time, and produce some nice detail. Not quite ready to use it yet, but should have everything up and running in a couple weeks, when we should hopefully really get cracking with this project.

Two more to model. The Lannister wand, which isn't too complex. I'll model the lion head for that one externally, but the Targaryen Wand I think I'll sculpt in Blender, now that I have use of a resin printer. But we'll see how that goes.

House Lannister wand. Lions head will be sculpted externally - there is a placeholder stump for now.

Screen-024.png

Targaryen wand is currently in progress. Got the general base modelled.

Screen-026.png

Also working on the Dragon Head sculpt (There will be 3, probaly the same, or slight variations). I think it's going ok? Looks like a dragon, right? (teeth are placeholders). I'm not great at sculpting, but aslong as it looks roughly like a dragon, it will do.

Screen-025.png

So, just quickly thrown the Dragon head onto the base for the Targaryen Wand. Although it looks cool, I think the original design of 3 heads (although accurate to House Targaryen) isn't that practical in reality. The spiral pipeces would be sculpted too, and so the final piece would blend a lot better, but I'm just not sure it's going to work out like this. So I think some slight redesigning is needed, and we'll stick to one head. Will definitely use the one head, as I've sculpted it now, and I do really like it. May just be the case that we have it on the end of the wand as a pommel, similar to some of our other designs..

Screen-028.png

OK, so settled on something I'm happy with for the Targaryen Wand. Similar design, but the single dragon head, wrapping around the wand. Still need to add a piece in the bottom (which will be hidden) which will allow the wand to connect - Space for a 3mm rod basically. I'll probably have to do some sort of boolean operation aswell to make sure there is an absolute space for the wand to slot into so it's nice and snug.

Not sure how much of this detail the resin printer will pick up. Time will tell - but it was fun to make regardless...

I'm now pretty much done with the modelling, and we can actually start MAKING STUFF!!!!

Screen-032.png

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back