Harrison Ford 3D sculpt - Deckard (Blade Runner) - v2.0

You picked literally the hardest target for 3D sculpting, and the struggle is real. The real trick is staying objective, and letting yourself walk away and come back until it's right, versus convincing yourself it's right to be done with it. When you nail it - and you will; just stay on it - you'll know. Everyone will know. It's literally pass/fail. It's just like climbing a Mount Everest to get there. Don't give up - you're doing fantastic work!

Update:

HF D 2023 3B1.png
HF D 2023 3B2.png
HF D 2023 3B3.png
HF D 2023 3B4.png

I rotated the eyes back to the left because I had to align them with one of the reference pics - I changed the size and position again. I also relaxed the mouth a bit, plus lots of other tweaks. I'm hoping it's getting better.
1000004302.jpg

New update:

HF D 2023 4B1.png
HF D 2023 4B3.png

HF D 2023 4B4.png
HF D 2023 4B5.png

1000004657-01.jpeg

I had been working on this since the last update, kept thinking it was getting better, but I looked at a previous version, realized I had gone too far in the wrong direction. So I basically threw out almost a month of work. But I think it was for the best. Not sure I'm there yet, or if I'll ever be totally satisfied, but as I've mentioned before, it helps my progress to update on the RPF.

I adjusted the lighting a bit again, adding some illumination to both sides of the face to help me to better see what's going on. One thing I realized was that the right side eye looked too high up. I realized I had been going back to one of the reference pics, adjusting just the eyes, but it wasn't lined up quite right, so my adjustments were off, with the right-side eye ending up too high. I needed to rotate the reference pic more. It wouldn't have really mattered if I had just adjusted the entire face to that image, but I was only working on the eyes, so it ended up wonky.

I've also realized that each of my cameras' focal length settings varied between angles, which can distort things - I had a lot of cameras with lower focal lengths which makes the face look thinner. So when I switched cameras after making adjustments based on one angle's focal length, things wouldn't look right from a different camera with a different focal length. I also didn't realize that when I use the "align active camera to view" function, the camera copies the viewport position but not other camera settings like the focal length or the other "lens" settings.

Anyway, looking at my updated pics right now, I see a couple things I want to change (right side needs a couple areas smoothed out, left side ear may be too big, etc), but I think it's better than the previous update. Hopefully I'll still think that later. I really want to be done with this so I can devote more time to other projects. I also want to put this up for sale if/when it's good enough.

Last edited:
The mouth has to be flipped: the crook of his lips, on the right side, should be down, while the left side should be up.
The eyes are good compared to other updates. AFAIK, they shouldn't be touched anymore.
Getting there bloop, getting there;)(y)(y)

EDIT: saw a flaw in the nose so I fixed it (I hope) and re-uploaded the pics

Latest:
HF D 2023 4C1.png
HF D 2023 4C2.png
HF D 2023 4C3.png
HF D 2023 4C4.png
HF D 2023 4C5.png
HF D 2023 4C6.png
HF D 2023 4C7.png
1000004670-01.jpeg

Lots of relatively small adjustments, but I think the likeness has improved. I took Joberg's advice and adjusted the mouth again. I also left the eyes mostly untouched, just tiny adjustments to smooth out a few areas. I adjusted the nose quite a bit, though again, it was a lot of small adjustments, so it may not be obvious. The jawline, chin and sides of the face have been improved, and the ears were adjusted as well. I also worked on the lower part, from the shoulders down, which is still a separate model. I brought the whole lower half up since the neck was looking a little too long. I also had to make it smaller, mainly in width, as it no longer looked in scale with the head.

I've been using a mirror to check things as I go. I used to just render images and flip them, but that takes a lot longer than checking a mirror. I find it helps me see things in a different way. I can get fooled into thinking the 3D model is looking great, yet looking at the mirror image of it will look "off," like it's distorted, even if the model is only a little off in likeness. These images seemed to pass the mirror test (though I always need to double check later after taking a break from looking at them), so I'm hoping any major work is done and I can move on. I'm tempted to try to add skin texture, pores and a few more creases and wrinkles, but that might take a whole lot longer.

Last edited:
My father used this trick often while painting/drawing portraits: he would place the picture of the person's face upside down and his drawing/painting, side by side also.
Compared the two and saw what had to be fixed. Works well.;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back