Harrison Ford 3D sculpt - Deckard (Blade Runner) - v2.0

A Mr. Ford is on the line.

He says he'd like his head and shoulders back.

I didnt know sign-language could translate so well over the phone .

Just remember, "perfect" is the enemy of good... and it looks GREAT

Update: I decided to finally revisit this and start working on version 2.0. Here's some renders:
Deckard 2023 - 1.png
Deckard 2023 - 2.png
Deckard 2023 - 3.png

I was originally planning on just trying to fix a couple things Ion the 3D model that I fixed on the print - like his left eye - but I started working on it and realized some other things that I could make better. I also realized that some of my previous Blender settings were giving me a somewhat distorted view of things. I've also learned a few other things that are helping me (hopefully) do a better, and faster, job of sculpting.

NEW UPDATE (Feb. 17th, 2023 - v2.0 finally in progress - see pg 5 for more)

View attachment 1671048

UPDATE: (Nov. 11th, 2021 - 3D print & painting v1.0 complete, pg 4):

<I decided to add a current progress pic to the original post, partly so you don't have to scroll down if you don't want to, and partly because my first progress pic looks pretty bad in comparison. I know I was just starting out, but I don't want any new viewers to only look at the initial pics and think it's not worth scrolling through. Plus, this shows just how much progress I've made. Sorry if this is a bit of a "spoiler" for what's below! (still a Work In Progress)>

View attachment 1465132

(Nov. 6th, 2021: 3D Print v1.0 painting complete):

View attachment 1510174 View attachment 1510173 View attachment 1510172

(October 28th, 2020) I've had Blender for a while, but I never really learned how to use it. I bought a 3D printer last year partly with the intention of making my own 3D models to print, but so far I've mostly printed other people's work, or some very basic things I cobbled together in Meshmixer. So I figured I should finally figure it out. I watched a bunch of tutorials, and while I still don't know most of Blender's functions, I finally had a break through in using the sculpting features.

I was recently reminded of a project that I posted years ago that I never finished - a miniature bust of Harrison Ford as Deckard from Blade Runner, sculpted from clay (I'd put a link to the project, but the pics have disappeared). I had never done much sculpting, especially not of a recognizable human, so it was somewhat of frustrating experience. Since I never finished it, I figured that I'd give it another shot, this time in digital form.

I started completely from scratch, sculpting from just a sphere. Here's where I'm at right now:

View attachment 1362691

I'm pretty pleased with my progress in just a few days. Here's some progress pics. It seems like Blender's camera view for sculpting gets distorted as you zoom (like a real camera) which makes things look a bit off if you zoom too close, so I had some issues where I overcompensated for it at times. I also had some issues with the eyes - I originally sculpted them, but I eventually decided to cut them out of the mesh and replace them with spheres (you can also see I made the eye-spheres way too big at first). I keep tweaking everything, trying to get it as accurate as possible.

View attachment 1362692View attachment 1362694View attachment 1362695

View attachment 1362696 View attachment 1362697 View attachment 1362698
View attachment 1362699 View attachment 1362700 View attachment 1362691

My plan is to get the basic sculpt as good as I can before changing the expression and adding details to make a Blade Runner specific statue. That way, I can use the basic Harrison Ford sculpt for other projects if I want to.
wow! looks just like him in Bladerunner! great work.

Thanks, though I have more work to do. The chin is a little big, which I noticed before posting, but I was concentrating on fixing the face first. I'm rrying to get it as accueate looking as I can.

I've been using reference pics from Blade Runner, plus a few other from the sane time period, so that the model is accurate to what Harrison Ford looked like at the time. I also need to readjust the hair, and a few other tweaks, but I feel good about the current state. I'm still glad I printed and painted the first version because ot let me see some of what needed to be changed, and lot me figure out how to paint it up.

Been a while, but I got working on ol' Deckard again. Lots of adjustments - there's things I liked about the last update that kind of went away, but I think the overall likeness of Ford as he looked like in Blade Runner is better. Still, I might adjust the facial expression a bit more like the last update. - the eyes and mouth in particular. I like the more "sly" look in the previous update, but the more "wide eyed" look, slightly-concerned expression feels more like Deckard. IDK. I'm still planning on converting this to an Indiana Jones bust once I've finished, so I'll be able to have Ford with a different expression for that on. Or maybe I'll go crazy and start doing different models with multiple expressions, who knows.

I keep doing the "reverse image" test after I do renders, which helps identify problem areas in the likeness. I'm working on getting the likeness right from all angles, which means a lot of adjusting from one perspective, switching anlges and re-adjusting, over and over. I hope I'm getting closer. I'm also trying to fix the sport coat lapels, his right-side lapel was too thin when I 3D printed it before, so I'm trying to correct that. I also noticed the top part of the lapels should be a little shorter, or higher up. And I want to try to make the herringbone texture sharper - I have a resin printer now, so I'll be able to get more details on prints. Problem is, the way I sculpted the lapels makes it hard to fix them on the current model. I'm still deficient in some 3D modeling skills, so what should be (I assume) a relatively easy fix is taking me more time than I'd like. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Deckard 2023 3.5b.png

Deckard 2023 3.5c.png

Your first pics, at the beginning of your thread, were much better than these. The mouth in particular makes him looking like a sad person.
The down emphasis at the end of the left & right side of his mouth is not what you had at first. The crease of his cheeks toward those ends are accentuating the sad look. ;)

Your first pics, at the beginning of your thread, were much better than these. The mouth in particular makes him looking like a sad person.
The down emphasis at the end of the left & right side of his mouth is not what you had at first. The crease of his cheeks toward those ends are accentuating the sad look. ;)
Yeah, I agree, I keep going back to the 1st update and liking that version more than the recent one, both in the likeness and expression. The newer version ends up looking older as well, which is the opposite of what I wanted. Good thing I keep my old versions so I should be able to go back and work off of that one. I'll try to get an updated version posted soon.

One step forward, two steps back - I went back to a previous version. But I accidentally didn't start with the exact version as shown from the previous pics. Thinking I didn't have it, I used a version that was still pretty close, but had a little more recent edits to it. I started tweaking it, trying to get it back to the things that were working (hopefully) and changing some new things, like adjusting the ears:

Deckard 2023 - from 3.1.png
Deckard 2023 - from 3.1A.png
Deckard 2023 - from 3.1B.png
Deckard 2023 - from 3.1C.png

I think it's close to the previous "good" version, though now that I found that file, I could always go back and rework it from there if I think this version is off by too much.

Sorry, I'm going to feel like a jerk jumping in, but my two cents....

AGAIN THIS IS JUST ME...

Even from your first iterations, I say raise his brows up towards the top line of his ears. His expression is what is killing me, the rest is so very solid

Sorry, I'm going to feel like a jerk jumping in, but my two cents....

AGAIN THIS IS JUST ME...

Even from your first iterations, I say raise his brows up towards the top line of his ears. His expression is what is killing me, the rest is so very solid
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. But I won't move the eyebrows up that high for two reasons:
1 - Ford's eyebrows don't go that high.
2 - I don't want to.
Ford displays a wide-eyed yet concerned expression many times in Blade Runner. I want my sculpt to reflect tthat look. Throughout the film, Deckard gets his ass handed to him - he can't defend himself against the replicants. He only survives by the grace of Roy Batty. I want my sculpt to show his concerned face, his worry.
If there's problems with the physiology of the sculpt, I'll try to fix that, but the expression will remain the same.

Last edited:
Like this one? If you want to reflect that look of fear, you'll have to shorten the length of his mouth/lips. He has a tendency to make a "closed/open pout" with his lips/mouth and yours are just a simple "relax" look. The last pic illustrates my thoughts better;)

1691941077933.png

Or these:

1691941146159.png

1691941257497.png

1691941422291.png

Good points, all. Sorry if my last post seemed a tad dickish, I really do appreciate the comments and suggestions (sidenote: I wrote the post while I was a bit drunk). I'll keep tweaking away at the expression. I originally started this and my previous (unfinished) clay bust of Deckard by basing it off of the following picture, which I believe was a production photo, not an actual shot from the film, but I liked the expression and pose:

blade-runner.jpg

Obviously, it's not the best image to use as a reference for his eyes. I was originally planning on inculding his hand and gun in the sculpt. But I got away from that as I started using more reference pics, which all have different expressions (and realizing how much harder it would be to sculpt the gun and hand). Maybe I need to try to base it more off of one actual image of Ford than trying to make an amalgamation of expressions.

I still like that pose, though. If I get ambitious, maybe I'll try again to recreate it.

If I don't, I might try to go off of this image - it's kind of what I was going for before, but like Joberg's suggestions, the mouth is more relaxed than my version:

Rick_Deckard.jpg

New updates:
HF D 2.png
HF D 3.png

More tweaking. I used a direct reference for the facial expression, as you can see below. I moved the eyes to match. It's still not exact, and the hair is obviously different (I think this photo may have been a test shot, not during production, so his hair is different than on screen). I'm not 100% that this is the expression I want, but I do like it, and feel the likeness has improved. I'll keep this one regardless of whether I decide to change the expression. I'm still planning on an Indiana Jones version later, which will have a different expression, so at least that will be different.
I changed the eyebrows a bit, as laellee suggested - sorry again for being dismissive before, it was a good tip, I just didn't see it at the time. I din't move them much, most of the editing was just erasing some of the eyebrow hair. I also realized I never adjusted the forehead wrinkles to match the raised eyebrows, so that's changed too (I just noticed it still needs a little more tweaking).
The 3D model still tends to look a little older than Ford as Deckard, but acutal 3D prints will look a bit smoother, especially when you do a little sanding and paint it, so I think it'll have the desired look when finished. I'm planning on adding this to my CG Trader account when I finish it (whenever that is).

HF D 1.png
HF D 1A.png

New updates:
View attachment 1739521View attachment 1739522
More tweaking. I used a direct reference for the facial expression, as you can see below. I moved the eyes to match. It's still not exact, and the hair is obviously different (I think this photo may have been a test shot, not during production, so his hair is different than on screen). I'm not 100% that this is the expression I want, but I do like it, and feel the likeness has improved. I'll keep this one regardless of whether I decide to change the expression. I'm still planning on an Indiana Jones version later, which will have a different expression, so at least that will be different.
I changed the eyebrows a bit, as laellee suggested - sorry again for being dismissive before, it was a good tip, I just didn't see it at the time. I din't move them much, most of the editing was just erasing some of the eyebrow hair. I also realized I never adjusted the forehead wrinkles to match the raised eyebrows, so that's changed too (I just noticed it still needs a little more tweaking).
The 3D model still tends to look a little older than Ford as Deckard, but acutal 3D prints will look a bit smoother, especially when you do a little sanding and paint it, so I think it'll have the desired look when finished. I'm planning on adding this to my CG Trader account when I finish it (whenever that is).

View attachment 1739523View attachment 1739524
As you said; the hairline should be shorter at the front and a bit less empty on the upper side. The pic on the right is showing a smooth low angle airline (small shallow curve from front to the side);)

As you said; the hairline should be shorter at the front and a bit less empty on the upper side. The pic on the right is showing a smooth low angle airline (small shallow curve from front to the side);)
Thanks, and I'm still tweaking the forehead & hair, though I'm actually not trying to emulate the hairstyle in that pic. As I mentioned, that photo and some of the others I've seen, seem to be pre-production shots, maybe for costume tests or promo shots, as his hair doesn't match his hair in the film
My original hair was modeled more after his appearance later in the film, after it got wet from the rain. Even so, his hair does make a few changes in the film, but it's mostly back-combed, not the almost crew-cut that he has in the pic I used for his expression. As I posted earlier, this pic was my original inspiration for the sculpt, so I think you can see what I'm going for.

blade-runner.jpg

I also suck at sculpting hair, so I probably won't make any major changes to it.

Thanks, and I'm still tweaking the forehead & hair, though I'm actually not trying to emulate the hairstyle in that pic. As I mentioned, that photo and some of the others I've seen, seem to be pre-production shots, maybe for costume tests or promo shots, as his hair doesn't match his hair in the film
My original hair was modeled more after his appearance later in the film, after it got wet from the rain. Even so, his hair does make a few changes in the film, but it's mostly back-combed, not the almost crew-cut that he has in the pic I used for his expression. As I posted earlier, this pic was my original inspiration for the sculpt, so I think you can see what I'm going for.

View attachment 1739817
I also suck at sculpting hair, so I probably won't make any major changes to it.
Yes, difficult since it's "tufty" at best (on the sides)...but still more hair than your sculpt ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back