Hardware Vader Sabers

Tan Djarka

Sr Member
image.jpeg

After gathering parts for a while, I've started the build. The shroud, end cap, and one bulb release came from a busted Hasbro ultimate fx. Another bulb release came from a Rubies saber. The clamp is steel, but didn't work out, so I'll probably make a new one from aluminum. One Parks bubble strip and one Hasbro. Also, I found a knurled metal ring which could work as an endcap.

Last edited:
GREAT find on the metal ring, what part is it?

Looks like this is going to be a cool build. that clamp looks like a real beat up camera part lol

I don't know what the ring is from. I literally found it laying on the ground and thought "This looks like a Vader endcap."

And using steel for the clamp is a little more challenging than I'd expected. The bends aren't quite right. I think aluminum may prove a little more forgiving.

I know it's not accurate to the ANH, but I'll probably secure the grips with screws.

I don't know if you still have the broken Ultimate FX saber BUT I did something similar to this around this time last year.
(I swear I'm not trying to derail, two photos and I'm done)
I used frog-tape (I'm sure any masking tape would do) to copy the placement of the holes from the Ultimate FX and a combination of a drill and dremel (Hey, I use what I have) to open up the holes.
I also bought a heiland side-unit (similar to a graflex slave) and installed the guts into one of my builds, for the other, I used leftover pvc from my MOM build.
I just bought another and finished my ANH. (not pictured)

Anyway, I thought the tape trick to copy the holes might help and if you REALLY want to sell the look, I'd definitely buy one of those side-units for the guts.

Attachments

• IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
I'd stalled on the project, remembering what a pain it was to paint the clamp black, but yesterday I discovered something... Did you know you could get aluminum step flashing prepainted black? Well I do now! Pic to come.

I changed the title of the thread because I now have so many Vader sabers in progress. First, I replaced the auto body molding on the finished saber above with some T-track. The original subject of this thread, now destined to become an ESB, has not progressed though.

I seem to be doing things in twos now. I have two MoM/ROTJ/DV6s in the works, one metal and one plastic. I've also started two Energizer commercial sabers.

Funny thing about them: I decided to go with vinyl floor runner for the grooved activation band. The minimum quantity I could get was one linear foot, which is enough for 36 sabers!

Photos to come... Eventually.

Are the grips supposed to be rubber, or plastic? (ie: soft or hard?)
I've heard the original ones were wiper blades from an old British truck, but the later "t-track" seem to be hard plastic? :unsure:

Hard plastic. The wipers theory was from the era when we thought the Obi ANH was made with a motorcycle handlebar grip, a sink drain, and a lawnmower gear. All of which we now know is completely wrong.The current consensus is that the grips are a track from sliding cabinet doors.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back