Hannibal Lecter Mask

cdog0803

I'm a huge fan of Silence of the Lambs, and I'm trying to replicate the iconic Silence of the Lambs mask he wears in a prison transfer. Here is what it looks like:

Screenshot (8).pngScreenshot (7).pngScreenshot (6).pngScreenshot (5).pngScreenshot (4).pngScreenshot (3).pngScreenshot (2).png

Does anyone know where I can get one? Also, side question, what do you call the thing they're carrying him on?

I did a bit of research into Hannibal's mask back in 2008 (wow, was it really 7 years ago?!) - http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=37032&highlight=lecter+mask+research

A lot of the pics don't work any more, but most of what you need to see is still there.

Basically, the jist of it is, if you want a good "Hannibal" style mask, there are loads of fairly cheap resin ones all over eBay (lowest I saw the other day was £9.99). With two holes filled, the nose holes drilled in, the mouth bars removed and replaced at the correct angle, new leather straps and buckles added and a new paint job, they can look really good for the mask seen in Hannibal. Here's my modified "eBay mask":

HannibalMask1.jpg

If you really want the SOTL version, that's a lot harder as I haven't seen ANY accurate fan replicas produced (yet!). The only replica that matches the SOTL version is/was produced by Kropserkel. I don't know if he still makes them (his website hasn't been updated in years) but he is still active on Facebook.

Here's the Kropserkel version:

lectermuzzleglass.jpg

The mask is pretty accurate, but it needs weathering and although this is the closest to the real strapping system that anyone has done (so far), it's still not right.

Funnily enough, I just purchased a Kropserkel Lecter mask from eBay yesterday (it was a BARGAIN price, so I don't think the seller really knew what they had). When it arrives I will be weathering it and added new, accurate straps so that an ACCURATE replica will finally exist.

Of course, if you want UBER accurate, the original maker who created the mask for the film does sell replicas made from the original mold. I believe they are just over $1000 each, so that's not an option for me at least!

The thing they're carrying him in on is a box trolley (I believe so any way). But I don't know what make/model.

Hello Howlrunner!

I just wanna say that I love your "Upgraded" eBay Hannibal mask. It's beautiful.

I was also looking into my options for getting my own that looks like the one in 2001's Hannibal.

Would you be able to make me one like yours and allow me to purchase it from you?

And if not, could you point me in the direction of someone who might be able to handle the task?

Thanks so much!

And if not, could you point me in the direction of someone who might be able to handle the task?

I agree with you, Howlrunner's work is absolutely outstanding, but if for some reason he's not able to assist you, I'd like to recommend Bob Ferden from http://www.fiberglassmasks.com. His work is exemplary and well worth the money! Definitely something to consider.

Here are a couple of pictures of my "SILENCE OF THE LAMBS" Lecter Mask that Bob made for me. (By the way, even if it says 'Discontinued' on his website for a particular Mask, PM him and ask him about it anyway. Sometimes he has a few raw castings of the item lying around that he can make up you on request.)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 526
Last edited:
I did a bit of research into Hannibal's mask back in 2008 (wow, was it really 7 years ago?!) - http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=37032&highlight=lecter+mask+research

A lot of the pics don't work any more, but most of what you need to see is still there.

Basically, the jist of it is, if you want a good "Hannibal" style mask, there are loads of fairly cheap resin ones all over eBay (lowest I saw the other day was £9.99).

Looks awesome, quick question though, which one did you buy as the ones Ive seen have a wider slot in the nose, did you have to reduce the gap or did you find one that had the smaller slot in the first place?

Cheers :)

Hello Adam!

thanks so much for the referral!

these pieces are exactly what I was looking for...but I am worried that he no longer has the cast mold from Hannibal that he used to make these masks:(

just st waiting anxiously for a response from him now!

Hello Howlrunner!

I just wanna say that I love your "Upgraded" eBay Hannibal mask. It's beautiful.

I was also looking into my options for getting my own that looks like the one in 2001's Hannibal.

Would you be able to make me one like yours and allow me to purchase it from you?

Thanks so much!

Thanks for the interest. I'm afraid that I have WAY too many unfinished projects and not enough time at the moment, so unfortunately I can't help. Not sure of anyone else that has done anything like upgrading the eBay mask. I agree that Fiberglassmasks do great work though, I've bought a few pieces from them in the past. If it is the Hannibal style mask you're after though, their mask will need a few mods as theirs appears to be based on the SOTL mask.

Looks awesome, quick question though, which one did you buy as the ones Ive seen have a wider slot in the nose, did you have to reduce the gap or did you find one that had the smaller slot in the first place?

Cheers :)

I believe that all of the masks on eBay from different sellers are the exact same one. I filled two of the air holes as part of the process of making it more accurate to Hannibal, so I most likely did fill in and re-file the nose slot at the same time. I'm afraid I can't really remember accurately though as it was about 8 years ago.

Thanks for the interest. I'm afraid that I have WAY too many unfinished projects and not enough time at the moment, so unfortunately I can't help. Not sure of anyone else that has done anything like upgrading the eBay mask. I agree that Fiberglassmasks do great work though, I've bought a few pieces from them in the past. If it is the Hannibal style mask you're after though, their mask will need a few mods as theirs appears to be based on the SOTL mask.

I believe that all of the masks on eBay from different sellers are the exact same one. I filled two of the air holes as part of the process of making it more accurate to Hannibal, so I most likely did fill in and re-file the nose slot at the same time. I'm afraid I can't really remember accurately though as it was about 8 years ago.

Nice one cheers, I appreciate it was a fair time ago I struggle to remember what I had for dinner last week. Lol

Hello Howlrunner!

Thanks so much!

You could try the upgradde yourself (it's not that hard). Paint it the right color, fill the "extra" air holes, re-shape the nose holes with a dremel if necessary, correct the angle of the mouth bars and get the leather straps

Here's a pic of the upgrade I did on mine (before the mouth bars were corrected to the right angle as pointed out at the time by Howlrunner)

HM13.jpg

Out of curiosity did you use milliput to fill where needed? You did an awesome job btw.

Thanks so much for your reply Howlrunner. I have never done any sort of artistic anything with my hands (other than sketching MANY years ago). I think it would be best to stick to finding someone who could convincingly get this project done. I am aiming to have this piece for NEXT HALLOWEEN...is there any chance you think you might be able to squeeze me in at some point before then?

AND If I am curious and open-minded enough to try to do it myself, could you give me some DETAILED instructions on how to transform the Cheap eBay ones currently listed into the awesomeness you have shown? Including what kinds of paint to use, how to fill in the holes and what to use, where to find the belts and buckles, how to actually remove and reattach the bars and what to use to remove and reattach the bars...and any other details I should know. Please remember I have absolutely no knowhow in this situation lol!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Last edited:
You could try the upgradde yourself (it's not that hard). Paint it the right color, fill the "extra" air holes, re-shape the nose holes with a dremel if necessary, correct the angle of the mouth bars and get the leather straps

Here's a pic of the upgrade I did on mine (before the mouth bars were corrected to the right angle as pointed out at the time by Howlrunner)

View attachment 680752

That's pretty nice man!

Like I said to Mr. Howlrunner...if I am curious and open-minded enough to try to do it myself, could you give me some DETAILED instructions on how you transformed the Cheap eBay one?

All I have done is Collect Props...Keep in mind that it would be my first time delving into the anything to do with the world of prop construction or correction/alteration lol:

Could you include what kinds of paint to use, how to fill in the holes and what to use, where to find the belts and buckles, how to actually remove and reattach the bars and what to use to remove and reattach the bars...and any other details I should know.

Thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for your reply Howlrunner. I have never done any sort of artistic anything with my hands (other than sketching MANY years ago). I think it would be best to stick to finding someone who could convincingly get this project done. I am aiming to have this piece for NEXT HALLOWEEN...is there any chance you think you might be able to squeeze me in at some point before then?

AND If I am curious and open-minded enough to try to do it myself, could you give me some DETAILED instructions on how to transform the Cheap eBay ones currently listed into the awesomeness you have shown? Including what kinds of paint to use, how to fill in the holes and what to use, where to find the belts and buckles, how to actually remove and reattach the bars and what to use to remove and reattach the bars...and any other details I should know. Please remember I have absolutely no knowhow in this situation lol!

Out of curiosity did you use milliput to fill where needed? You did an awesome job btw.

Yeah, it would have been Milliput I used. :thumbsup

Sorry, it's not something I do at the moment. I work as a primary school teacher, so when I'm not on school holidays I have very little time for projects. I have at least 5 big pieces in my collection that I've not gotten around to doing anything to for a LEAST 5 years. :lol

I can't/won't write a MEGA detailed approach as you can work out most of this stuff yourself as you go along, but....

1) Fill the two "extra" holes and too-wide nose slit with Milliput (all the instructions you need for this are on the packet). Sand when dry.
2) Use needle files and a drill or dremel to put the correct size nose slit and nostril holes in.
3) Use a dremel to sand/grind down the glue on the inside of the mask used to hold the bars in place until you can remove them.
4) Glue them back in at the correct angles using 2-part epoxy resin.
5) Paint using models paints (Humbrol enamels, Revell or Citadel acrylics are good) - brown base with green wash (which shades up up to you to match reference pictures).
6) Buy leather buckles/straps from Fiberglassmasks.com, thread through slits and pop-rivet.

My highest recommendations to fiberglassmasks.com. I ordered one without straps. It arrived two days ago and it’s amazing. Here’s a pic of the mask with the straps that I made yesterday. I have been looking for a good mask for years now, so thanks a million Adam C
1a9abc11a8975d7d26f8d2cef6ebc3c3.jpg

My highest recommendations to fiberglassmasks.com. I ordered one without straps. It arrived two days ago and it’s amazing. Here’s a pic of the mask with the straps that I made yesterday. I have been looking for a good mask for years now, so thanks a million Adam C

Wow! That thing is beautiful, man! Congratulations! Bob Ferden (from fiberglassmasks.com) does really amazing work and has always been a consummate Professional in any of the purchases that I’ve made with him over the years. He’s definitely a highly skilled Craftsmen with an amazing attention to detail. Congrats again on your awesome new acquisition! :thumbsup

Wow! That thing is beautiful, man! Congratulations! Bob Ferden (from fiberglassmasks.com) does really amazing work and has always been a consummate Professional in any of the purchases that I’ve made with him over the years. He’s definitely a highly skilled Craftsmen with an amazing attention to detail. Congrats again on your awesome new acquisition! :thumbsup

Thanks, I’m over the moon. It’s perfect , and Bob Ferden has been a pleasure to deal with.

I'm a huge fan of Silence of the Lambs, and I'm trying to replicate the iconic Silence of the Lambs mask he wears in a prison transfer. Here is what it looks
Any information on this mask by Ed Cubberly 1991

Attachments

• C8DF9D7F-4E9A-4FDD-8872-46D3D5D10257.jpeg
    C8DF9D7F-4E9A-4FDD-8872-46D3D5D10257.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 133
  • 10EE6D80-1E68-477C-83BE-5C7AF8CCEC1B.jpeg
    10EE6D80-1E68-477C-83BE-5C7AF8CCEC1B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 120
  • 0AAAEC4F-7CA9-432F-A08E-D267E089AA33.jpeg
    0AAAEC4F-7CA9-432F-A08E-D267E089AA33.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
  • 606B6BC6-7C29-45A2-BA8A-68E525033B4A.jpeg
    606B6BC6-7C29-45A2-BA8A-68E525033B4A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back