Hand Thrown Ceramic Holy Grail Replica

PhantomForge

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Took a ceramics class during the second half of the summer, and took this chance to try to make a Holy Grail replica actually made of clay.
"Didn't this guy just try to make a resin one of these?"
Yes but I'm never satisfied, and sorta bonkers.

Anyways, first attempts weren't that bad; not very screen accurate, about half an inch shorter than it should be thanks to the power of gravity on wet clay. They are also a lot lighter red/pink than the clay used in the move.
IMG_1375_zpsm4mg8ryd.jpg

IMG_1376_zps2ydhntcg.jpg

I decided to be make as many as I could in my free time as long as I had access to the wheels, to try and make a more accurate size and was able to make three more. These are more accurate in size last time I checked, they could have shrunk from gravity like the last two (although I used a heat gun to stiffen the clay before I left) and they should be fired by the time I get back to campus in a week. Only thing that bugs me about these ones are the bumps connecting the stem to the bowl, but hopefully I can fix that with a file.
IMG_1403_zpsngubeqqi.jpg

Back to the first two, I used the red base coat that came with the gold leafing kit to make them more red, and I really like it turned out. I thought the way I applied the water down paint already made it look sort of worn and antique.
IMG_1453_zpsdm1ip6iw.jpg

Although I was initially fairly disappointed with the size, and sorta the shape, I felt a lot better about it after the gold leafing. It's all in the decoration.
IMG_1489_zpsdk3ohrxw.jpg

IMG_1490_zpsovfzzqt4.jpg

Not done yet, still got some more weathering to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Experimenting with weathering with the smaller one
IMG_1514_zpsz0p5p6qz.jpg

IMG_1516%202_zpspemtmy2r.jpg

IMG_1517_zpsofj9s79l.jpg

IMG_1519_zpsmylvt6q6.jpg

Thoughts/critiques/anything I should add before I move on to the other one? I feel like some parts are too dark, and others too light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update time:
It's been a busy semester, but I was finally able to find some free time to work on my grails.

All the grails I have:
IMG_1796_zpsqgngmm4c.jpg

I'll be making some more too, since I'm not entirely satisfied with the ones I've made so far.

I continued painting the smaller grail, and added some clay dust onto the surface with some adhesive.
IMG_1797_zpsoskhdhn0.jpg

IMG_1799_zps0kv9hxyp.jpg

Then I did the same thing with the taller grail
IMG_1800_zpsps7jsob8.jpg

IMG_1801_zpsnm19vrnm.jpg

IMG_1802_zpsmu9fblh6.jpg

More with the other grails will probably come soon.

"Thats the cup of a carpenter"

Missed this the first time around they ALL look great to me!!

I've been a bit too busy to get make anymore grails this past year, but I've finally finished painting the last couples grails.
IMG_3407.JPG
I really like the weathering on these, I thinks its my best so far.

Don't know what's going on with photo-bucket with the rest of my photos.

Great work. On all of them!

I'm in the process of completing my own version (also clay), and nearly finished the weathering process. But I still think it's too clean;
I've been using pigment powders, which do a good job, but leave too thin an effect.

Can you please tell me what you used for the whitish grime/discoloration on the outside of the cup?

Thanks and cheers :)

Great work. On all of them!

I'm in the process of completing my own version (also clay), and nearly finished the weathering process. But I still think it's too clean;
I've been using pigment powders, which do a good job, but leave too thin an effect.

Can you please tell me what you used for the whitish grime/discoloration on the outside of the cup?

Thanks and cheers :)
The weathering on mine is almost 100% acrylic— mostly dry-brushed. If I remember correctly, I diluted a white/grey mix (white is TOO white) of acrylic with water and rubbing isopropyl alcohol. I might have added a little bit of clay dust I nicked from the pottery studio (It's been a while, can't remember). After I finished adding grey, green, etc to the cup, I very lightly brushed the diluted acrylic onto the cup in certain areas. I then sprayed it with matte finish clear coat.
Something else you might want to try that I've heard has good results is spraying it with hairspray, and dusting it with fullers earth.

Good luck!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back