Hand stitched Kermit the Frog puppet replica!! (Early builds/old patterns)

image.jpg

Here’s the one I built using these patterns! He’s far from perfect, but overall, I’m quite happy with him, considering he’s my first puppet build. I learned a lot about the process, and ecl’s tutorials were invaluable. Thanks, ecl!

Here’s the one I built using these patterns! He’s far from perfect, but overall, I’m quite happy with him, considering he’s my first puppet build. I learned a lot about the process, and ecl’s tutorials were invaluable. Thanks, ecl!

Neat! Thanks for sharing, and I’m glad to hear the tutorials helped out. I like the way the fleece looks on your build, it has a very natural look to it.

Just wanted to post the Kermit I made for my son’s third birthday! He/we/I loved it and can’t thank ecl enough for the tons of advice, patterns, and instructions.

Kermit was a hit. I don’t think I’ve used my normal voice for a week because my kid only wants to talk to Kermit :)

Thanks again, ecl!

Attachments

• 64BE8C01-A882-4D35-8DA6-913257BA2BA8.jpeg
    64BE8C01-A882-4D35-8DA6-913257BA2BA8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 306
  • 5534258E-3E71-454B-9E25-FC5A09538848.jpeg
    5534258E-3E71-454B-9E25-FC5A09538848.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 232
  • 6BADEBE2-97C7-43FF-8A17-823F570317DC.jpeg
    6BADEBE2-97C7-43FF-8A17-823F570317DC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 232
  • 40265040-922C-4870-BD89-44FC08826F0C.jpeg
    40265040-922C-4870-BD89-44FC08826F0C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 264
Just wanted to post the Kermit I made for my son’s third birthday! He/we/I loved it and can’t thank ecl enough for the tons of advice, patterns, and instructions.

Kermit was a hit. I don’t think I’ve used my normal voice for a week because my kid only wants to talk to Kermit :)

Thanks again, ecl!

That’s fantastic, and the kind of thing that makes sharing the build process/journey worth it. Great looking build!

That’s fantastic, and the kind of thing that makes sharing the build process/journey worth it. Great looking build!
Hey ecl! ive seen your kermits and omg they are awsome! ive gone through trial and error trying to make a realy good pattern but ends up horrible and with me ending up with no material left. i bought more but i would love if you can spare me some patterns, my daughters birthday is comeing up and shes 4 and loves the muppets and i thought it would be a blast for her if i make her a kermit puppet! ive built 2 now and they look horrible think you can help me with the patterns ecl!?

Last edited:
Hello there Ecl

I have been following your work silently for a while now and your work inspires me and makes me see it is possible to make A Kermit replica of my own. I have been following your older post where you posted drawn-up tips and tutorials on his construction which have been a massive help in getting me to understand and start toying with designs for my Kermit. One thing I wanted to ask for your help on is the creation of the mouth plate pattern. I believe you showed how to install it but not draw it out itself. Is there a certain way you went about it or another case of just simple trial and error until you get it right?

Hello there Ecl

I have been following your work silently for a while now and your work inspires me and makes me see it is possible to make A Kermit replica of my own. I have been following your older post where you posted drawn-up tips and tutorials on his construction which have been a massive help in getting me to understand and start toying with designs for my Kermit. One thing I wanted to ask for your help on is the creation of the mouth plate pattern. I believe you showed how to install it but not draw it out itself. Is there a certain way you went about it or another case of just simple trial and error until you get it right?

Hi! Trial and error really is involved with just about every part of making a Kermit, at least, it was for me in the early process. When doing the mouthplate, I generally decide how wide the back edge will be. From what I’ve been able to gather, this is usually around 3.25 inches to 3.5 inches. The mouthplate does not need to be big (it’s quite small on the originals as well), which will also make it easier to manipulate expressions too. His mouth also in a way looks like a ‘beak’ tapering to a fairly sharp point at the front. So keeping that in mind, you can get a pretty good natural shape. But I’ll go ahead and include a sketch below that would work, but this one is sized a little bigger (for my older bigger Kermits)—just resize to what you want. Also, note that the top mouthplate is a little longer than the bottom one—Kermit has a slight overbite.

mouth_8.5x11 copy.pdf

Here’s how a mouthplate can look, although people will do different things to finish off the surface where your hand will grab it.

650AE456-9B3D-4B4C-A0AA-AFBF2DEDEABC.jpeg

best wishes with the build!!

Re: Custom Kermit the Frog puppet replica!!

I've uploaded PDF files of the patterns via my google drive link here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yORPMoEfYCEfyP7AwcRTB0dFqvEHz3bz?usp=sharing

I made notes on each file which ones should be printed out on 11x17 pages and 8.5x11. Hopefully that works! Also one tip is to print them out on either thicker paper or cardstock--not really 100% necessary--but it'll make them easier to work with when tracing onto fabric. Mainly pertains to the collar graphic, as it tends to move around during tracing.

View attachment 785353
Hi, is there another link to this? I know this was several years ago, but it will not open for me. Thanks! Love your work

This is a super old post, so it probably wont get responded to, but gotta try! what kind of fleece did you use? I am really wanting to make this, and I love how this looks, and the invisible seems are fantastic, so I'd love to try and use it

I'd Google puppetpelts. They sell professional grade fleece ideal for making your own Kermit.

Looks like "frog" is the colour you'd need for this project

W

Re: Custom Kermit the Frog puppet replica!!

Thanks for all the comments! Much appreciated. It's been awhile since I've had so much fun making something so I'm glad to share the experience. I'd have to say, puppet making is kind of addicting. I've begun to think of what other characters i might attempt to make next. Nothing for sure yet though.

The Master Replicas Kermit is really cool. I jumped on it the second it was released years ago, as there really weren't any options to buy full scale Muppet replicas. He has his inaccuracies, but it's a neat piece. It's still disappointing to me that the license was passed onto the dreadful efx after Master Replicas went away....meaning we'll never see any new product.

As for the sword, I only have three swords in my collection (all customs). This one was made by Scott Roush (bladesmith in Wisconsin. He makes some really neat knives as well). I always have to sneak one in a picture whenever the chance arises haha!
I would like some help with the Kermit puppet replica.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back