Hand-Carved Potter Wand Replicas

The14thDr

Sr Member
I really love the wands from the Harry Potter films; partly because there are so many brilliant designs to choose from (each prop uniquely designed to match its owner) but mainly because they take up so little space once completed!

I don’t have access to a lathe, meaning each wand I make is hand-carved from a piece of wooden dowel with any details added to make them as accurate as possible - using screenshots from the films, promo shoots, prop displays, official replicas, reference guides... any reference material I can get my hands on, basically!

Anyway, here’s my collection so far... From top-to-bottom: a 3/4 scale Elder Wand (my first ever wand build!), Newt Scamander’s wand, Professor Flitwick’s from the first film, my interpretation of Dumbledore’s original wand (based on the Fantastic Beasts promo image - I’ll be making a second version once we get a better look at it), Cedric Diggory’s, Narcissa Malfoy’s - based on photos of the original prop rather than the Noble Collection one, which looks like it was based on the early concept drawing - and finally Bellatrix Lestrange’s curved wand.
8543109d5ed7aa68d28719152c8f0dc8.jpg

I plan on keeping all of my wand builds on this thread from now on to make them easier to follow; and this can be a sort of “Master Post” with a list of all the wands I’ve made so far and the number for the specific post where I talk about how I made it on my detail:

Harry Potter:
  • Bellatrix Lestrange - post #2
  • 3/4 scale Elder Wand
  • Professor Flitwick (PS/CoS)
  • Cedric Diggory
  • Narcissa Malfoy

Fantastic Beasts:
  • Newt Scamander
  • Professor Dumbledore (Crimes of Grindelwald)

I look forward to sharing my progress with you all!

Last edited:
I figured I may as well start with the most recent addition to my collection and take it from there. Here’s my replica of Bellatrix Lestrange’s wand (99% complete - I just need to figure out etch the runes into the handle.)
fb59802cf53e7cbab406246a58d704cc.jpg

I originally looked into bending a piece of wooden dowel to achieve the unique curve of this wand but a lack of the correct equipment or any dowel that was thick enough led me to carve the handle out of a piece of pine wood instead.

The tip of the wand was made from 1/2” dowel that I carved into shape, and once the two halves had been glued together I stained the wood with acrylic paints.

For a more detailed break-down of how I made this wand, I wrote a post on my blog (I’d really appreciate if you could take the time to check it out!) http://hogwartsapprentice.blogspot.com/2018/04/bellatrix-lestranges-wand.html

So let me know what you think! (And any ideas on how I could etch those symbols into the handle?)

My suggestion, as long as you have enough screenshots to determine what to etch and where, would be to first trace the runes on the wand with a light colored pencil then use a dremel or similar tool to etch out your tracings.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back