Han Solos ROTJ DL-44 Blaster - made from a MGC

Lichtbringer

Master Member
This build started some time ago, and i already mentioned it in one of my other buildthread as a sneak-preview. So there might be the one or the other who is waiting for it. ;)

I´ve got some parts for the ROTJ in my hands:

JabbaGuardBlaster001.jpg

They had some issues:

Here the alignment wasn´t perfect, but a easy fix - i just milled it down a little bit
JabbaGuardBlaster003.jpg

The hole was way to big for the scope-tip
JabbaGuardBlaster005.jpg

So i made a small adapter piece
ROTJ001.jpg

Faced the front on the lathe to get it level, and pressed the tip in the now matching hole
ROTJ002.jpg

Made a new ring for the tip
ROTJ004.jpg

Then i took a piece of tube
JabbaGuardBlaster008.jpg

Machined it
JabbaGuardBlaster009.jpg

to fit a found scopebell
JabbaGuardBlaster010.jpg

After that work i ended with this

ROTJ010.jpg

Last edited:
Re: ROTJ DL-44 - from a MGC

Very nice work, Michael!

I've always wondered where they got all these crazy cool/super rare scope mounts throughout the Star Wars trilogy. Maybe they were mostly custom made? We may never know..

-Carson

Beatiful work!
Are you going to use a denix or a MGC for this? Or something else?

_A

Very nice work, Michael!

I've always wondered where they got all these crazy cool/super rare scope mounts throughout the Star Wars trilogy. Maybe they were mostly custom made? We may never know..

-Carson

Thanks, Carson. :)

If i would have to guess, then i would assume they just build them custom from found bits and machined parts - i don´t believe they used that much found real scopemounts.

As mentioned above ... i got another MGC, which i want to use on this build.

Blaster005.jpg

The bump-on you can see on the gun is a real old one i found in one of the bart boxes.

Pistons were made on the lathe in Delrin (just like the originals)

ROTJ-mount018.jpg

And in Alu
ROTJ-mount017.jpg

And while the Delrin version is more accurate, i decided to go for Alu on my own gun.

I drilled an tapped the scopemount, assembled it. Then the pistons were placed with double sided tape, to be able to drill the holes for the rivets in the gun without any movement.
ROTJ-mount010.jpg

ROTJ-mount011.jpg

ROTJ-mount013.jpg

And thats the way it looks now:

ROTJ-mount009.jpg

ROTJ-mount012.jpg

Next step will be the milling of the side greeblies (no added parts on the ROTJ guns).

Hello I am interested in a bunker ROTJ kit,go you proposed in the near future? Thank you in advance morgan

??? Pardon, i don´t understand.

I´m not making this for sale. The scopemount is a bought piece, and i made the other parts for my own build.
Who told you i would offer ROTJ-kits?

I had some time, so ....... here we go again. :)

I started turning the back of the flashhider on the lathe, then it went over to the mill. And with the help of a rotary table first the "cubes" were milled, and after that the slots have been cut - very time consuming when done by "hand", but a easy job with cnc (one of the moments i wish i had cnc).

Then drilling and tapping, for the bolt.
ROTJ-Han001.jpg

This is the rotary table, it enables to turn a chucked piece to specified degrees without unchucking and to adjust it again. Just turn it´s handwheel to rotate the workpiece, a really nice tool.

ROTJ-Han002.jpg

After that was done, the part went back on the lathe. The formerly drilled rear hole was now turned to the exact needed diameter.

ROTJ-Han003.jpg

The next step was putting the now done back-end in the lathe chuck, to turn the muzzles cone and the inner cutout.

ROTJ-Han004.jpg

This is the finished flashhider

ROTJ-Han006.jpg

ROTJ-Han005.jpg

OK, yeah, it could need a last cleaning, maybe some beadblasting to achieve a matte finish .......?

Very nice! Do you fancy doint the 'uneven one as well? That's the one that goes on the blaster for which you are milling details for me.

I had some time, so ....... here we go again. :)

I started turning the back of the flashhider on the lathe, then it went over to the mill. And with the help of a rotary table first the "cubes" were milled, and after that the slots have been cut - very time consuming when done by "hand", but a easy job with cnc (one of the moments i wish i had cnc).

OK, yeah, it could need a last cleaning, maybe some beadblasting to achieve a matte finish .......?

Very nice! Do you fancy doint the 'uneven one as well? That's the one that goes on the blaster for which you are milling details for me.

Not really sure - atm. Markus and i are a little bit confused which details belong together on which version. Too much ROTJs out there .... :lol

Glad I found this thread, as I found my stepson a resin kit last night. I am going to start a build thread when we get started this weekend. I admire the craftsmanship. Would love to have the tools, and machines you do. Anyway. Great job, and thanks for sharing your work!
MTFBWY

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back