Han Solo In Carbonite

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by morbius206, Jan 12, 2012.

1. morbius206

morbius206 New Member

I decided I wanted a really iconic image for my GradShow at Uni last year to try and attract people to my display. After a few weeks I decided that Han in carbonite was the way to go - everyone I know at least gets the reference even if they don't know all the details. The build lasted a few months - mainly working late nights in the workshop at Uni "after hours". It was a fairly simple but effective construction method. Clay sculpts for all the body parts except the hands and feet. The sculpts were moulded in various materials, for the face I used RTV Silicone rubber, for the torso & legs I used latex. The casts were then made from fibreglass & resin. The hands were created using alginate moulds taken from a fellow students hands with resin poured inside to create the 'positive' hands. Feet were made out of a pair of old steel toe cap boots I had sitting around - coated in resin. The individual pieces were screwed down onto an MDF baseboard and the carbonite detailing was created by pouring PVA glue & Jesmonite onto the board and letting it settle naturally to create a pooling effect.

Skaar likes this.
  2. morbius206

morbius206 New Member

Need to get some better images on - this one was taken on my camera phone(which has a good camera - for a phone) but it doesn't show the detailing up very well

3. Skaar

Skaar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Would love to see more pics.

I really like your ingenuity by using other peoples hands and the steel toed boots rather than just buying a cast from someone

Awesome job man

4. morbius206

morbius206 New Member

Thanks man,

I've seen others made using bought casts - obviously they look that bit better, mainly the face, however, I couldn't bring myself to do it that way. To me it seemed like I would only be making a wooden box and it would be kind of defeating the purpose of it - I wanted to say "I made this" and I just wouldn't have been able to with bought casts.

5. staticweb23

staticweb23 Active Member

Nice work, been looking to do one myself one day, and our right that should bring eyes looking your way.. Who doesn't like Star Wars. :)

6. morbius206

morbius206 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I do actually know plenty of people who still haven't seen a single Star Wars film(don't know how they can live with themselves!) but even they recognise the image of Han in carbonite - it's just become one of those truly iconic movie images. Proved really successful at my Gradshow aswell, a real range of people seemed drawn to it - from kids to pensioners

7. morbius206

morbius206 New Member

Updated pics - better quality also showing some of the carbonite detail etc.