Han Solo in Carbonite CNC 3D Model

Rich Mayfield

Our hacker-space is holding a Launch Party and to Demo our huge CNC machine, I wanted to mill out Han Solo in Carbonite. I haven't been able to find any decent 3D models of the prop online. So, I thought I'd ask for help here. There's a few ways I can do it:

1. Find an existing 3D model and convert it to our format for the CNC (unsuccessful so far).
2. Find an actual prop/replica in the Southern California area and photograph the crap out of it to generate a 3D model.
3. Use somebody's pictures of theirs to generate the 3D model.

So, if anyone can put me in touch with someone in Southern California that has one, or would be willing to take about 50 photos from every possible angle of theirs, I would be deeply in your debt.

Of course, I'll make the resulting 3D model and CNC g-code openly available here.

So I made me one of these a few months ago after I retrofitted our cnc. Been meaning to order some good 6" foam to cut the whole thing out life size. I have available to me the g-code for a small 4"x12" version, a skp that somebody else created and I used to generate the code from, and the dxf file I used between the sketchup and my gcode program. The model was not 100% smooth but when I ran it for the smaller version it came out perfectly! Let me know what file you want!

I'd like to take a look at the skp file and maybe improve on the model. A few weeks ago we held our launch party and did a scaled version due to time constraints on the demo.

I've attached our final stl 3d model for posterity.

Here's what we came up with:

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

Attachments

• han3_stl.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 2,128
Beautiful. I only have the one picture here, but I am hoping to do it life size before too long. Do you happen to have a .skp or your actual g-code you used to run it? How deep did you make him?photo(10).JPG
Here he is next to a lego han I cut out as well.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back