Han Solo In Carbonite 2nd panel part discovery!

exsanguinate

First off, I'd like to thank Kurtyboy for pointing me in the right direction for this find. Kurt had thought this piece was from a Medium Format TLR camera, but after speaking to some camera experts, this was pretty much ruled out due to the size and rectangular shape Several people seemed to be very confident this was from a Medium Format 6x4.5 SLR camera. I knew the part was a waist level finder, but hunting for which one was exhaustive...until I looked closer at this shot of the original part:

attachment.jpg

Notice the profile against the back side of the part. It's slightly angled down, and the whole piece is very low profile. The only Medium Format cameras with a waist level finder with that low of a profile are made by Bronica. The only6x4.5 cameras made by Bronica before 1980 were the ETR series. The matching part is specifically from the ETRS/ETRSi

Profile and slots for folding part match.
s4049-5.jpg

Notice the notch in the front of the base matching the one from the prop:

s4049-6.jpg

With the release removed and minor modifications (or potentially just removing the cover), this would match up with Kurtyboy's screen grab:

attachment.jpg

s4049-1.jpg

I've just ordered mine today off of eBay for $64 shipped from Japan. Note that there are a couple of different versions for these cameras that are essentially the same, but the angled part at the base is stretched a bit further out on the incorrect version as shown below:

bronica-etrs-etrsi-waist-level-finder-24.99-21242-p[ekm]500x375[ekm].jpg

I know I don't post much, but have learned quite a bit from this community and wanted to share this find in attempt to give a little back. The prices range quite a bit ($60-$120), and it seems almost all of the stock is in Japan. I had really hoped that the knob on the prop would also be from this camera, but I'm afraid that isn't the case. After looking at a ridiculous amount of cameras over the last few days, I am convinced that the knob is a winder from a mid to late 70's camera. You can find these on eBay by searching for Bronica Waist Level Finder.

Cheers!

Scott

closecamera.jpg

carb15 (1).jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

bronica-etrs-etrsi-waist-level-finder-24.99-21242-p[ekm]500x375[ekm].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing indeed ! That is what propping is all about. Looking / finding / sharing ... For those of you reading this post I still have a few of the original HIC gas displays, both the +- and 88 displays (NOS) Mint condition. If you're looking send me a pm.

A lot of people won't be ordering the right one. Guys, as was said, notice the triangular shape where the pivot is, the triangle shaped one is the right one, not the stretched one.

I'll try to hunt one .. not really willing to pay 150$ for this. But if I do get one, I'll drop it in rubber and offer it as part of the HIC package I'm already selling. Hopefully, finding one won't take too much time (so stop buying them all!!!)

:)

Last edited:
A lot of people won't be ordering the right one. Guys, as was said, notice the triangular shape where the pivot is, the triangle shaped one is the right one, not the stretched one.

I'll try to hunt one .. not really willing to pay 150$ for this. But if I do get one, I'll drop it in rubber and offer it as part of the HIC package I'm already selling. Hopefully, finding one won't take too much time (so stop buying them all!!!)

:)

Yup, made sure mine shipped before I posted :) also, the incorrect part has "Zenza" in italics.

Oh great, now these things will get even more expensive. :lol So much for ever being able to build a Galaxy Quest Surface Scanner!

Hmm. Crazy thought -- the part used here is the exact bit that was removed/missing from the ones used in Galaxy Quest. What do you suppose the chances are that the Surface Mappers were built using the left over waist level finders from ESB?

Oh great, now these things will get even more expensive. :lol So much for ever being able to build a Galaxy Quest Surface Scanner!

Hmm. Crazy thought -- the part used here is the exact bit that was removed/missing from the ones used in Galaxy Quest. What do you suppose the chances are that the Surface Mappers were built using the left over waist level finders from ESB?

Wow, popular part, but at least it's the version not on the HIC prop.

Erk, trying to get a replacement now for my Bronica is going to be hard now every star wars person will be buying them :D lucky I already have one on my 6x4.5 Etrs (not that I will be taking it off to build a Han in carbonite) :D

Hey people,
I waited too long to buy this .. anyone willing for me to borrow their original? Please PM me if you successfully bought one. Of course, I'm willing to pay to borrow it!

I can't wait to see someone making a casting out of this part, to finally start my HIC project... it's being on hold for the past 5 years, and THIS is the part I was waiting for.

I'm still looking for someone to contact me to do exactly this! My molding material is ready but I just don't have an original!

I'd love To see what people have done. I know for a fact that I would not display with a cover but still curious ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back