Han Solo In Carbonite 2nd panel part discovery!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by exsanguinate, Sep 6, 2015.

1. exsanguinate

exsanguinate New Member

First off, I'd like to thank Kurtyboy for pointing me in the right direction for this find. Kurt had thought this piece was from a Medium Format TLR camera, but after speaking to some camera experts, this was pretty much ruled out due to the size and rectangular shape Several people seemed to be very confident this was from a Medium Format 6x4.5 SLR camera. I knew the part was a waist level finder, but hunting for which one was exhaustive...until I looked closer at this shot of the original part:

attachment.jpg
    Notice the profile against the back side of the part. It's slightly angled down, and the whole piece is very low profile. The only Medium Format cameras with a waist level finder with that low of a profile are made by Bronica. The only6x4.5 cameras made by Bronica before 1980 were the ETR series. The matching part is specifically from the ETRS/ETRSi

Profile and slots for folding part match.
    [​IMG]

Notice the notch in the front of the base matching the one from the prop:

[​IMG]

With the release removed and minor modifications (or potentially just removing the cover), this would match up with Kurtyboy's screen grab:

attachment.jpg
    [​IMG]

I've just ordered mine today off of eBay for $64 shipped from Japan. Note that there are a couple of different versions for these cameras that are essentially the same, but the angled part at the base is stretched a bit further out on the incorrect version as shown below:

bronica-etrs-etrsi-waist-level-finder-24.99-21242-p[ekm]500x375[ekm].jpg

I know I don't post much, but have learned quite a bit from this community and wanted to share this find in attempt to give a little back. The prices range quite a bit ($60-$120), and it seems almost all of the stock is in Japan. I had really hoped that the knob on the prop would also be from this camera, but I'm afraid that isn't the case. After looking at a ridiculous amount of cameras over the last few days, I am convinced that the knob is a winder from a mid to late 70's camera. You can find these on eBay by searching for Bronica Waist Level Finder.

Cheers!

Scott

closecamera.jpg

carb15 (1).jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

bronica-etrs-etrsi-waist-level-finder-24.99-21242-p[ekm]500x375[ekm].jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    thd9791, minifig and MCM like this.
  2. papamurf812

papamurf812 Active Member

Good find! This will definitely help out future builds.

3. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

Excellent find!

4. DarkJerre

DarkJerre Active Member

Thanks for sharing indeed ! That is what propping is all about. Looking / finding / sharing ... For those of you reading this post I still have a few of the original HIC gas displays, both the +- and 88 displays (NOS) Mint condition. If you're looking send me a pm.

5. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks again for finding this. I can't wait to add mine :)

6. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A lot of people won't be ordering the right one. Guys, as was said, notice the triangular shape where the pivot is, the triangle shaped one is the right one, not the stretched one.

I'll try to hunt one .. not really willing to pay 150$ for this. But if I do get one, I'll drop it in rubber and offer it as part of the HIC package I'm already selling. Hopefully, finding one won't take too much time (so stop buying them all!!!)

:)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  7. exsanguinate

exsanguinate New Member

Yup, made sure mine shipped before I posted :) also, the incorrect part has "Zenza" in italics.

8. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

Oh great, now these things will get even more expensive. :lol So much for ever being able to build a Galaxy Quest Surface Scanner!

Hmm. Crazy thought -- the part used here is the exact bit that was removed/missing from the ones used in Galaxy Quest. What do you suppose the chances are that the Surface Mappers were built using the left over waist level finders from ESB?

9. exsanguinate

exsanguinate New Member

Wow, popular part, but at least it's the version not on the HIC prop.

10. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

Oh, you're right. I misread which of the two designs they used.

11. steveparkes

steveparkes Active Member

Erk, trying to get a replacement now for my Bronica is going to be hard now every star wars person will be buying them :D lucky I already have one on my 6x4.5 Etrs (not that I will be taking it off to build a Han in carbonite) :D

12. Gator Fett

Gator Fett Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another great HIC find. Thanks for doing the leg work and sharing your discovery.

13. Bigturc

Hey people,
    I waited too long to buy this .. anyone willing for me to borrow their original? Please PM me if you successfully bought one. Of course, I'm willing to pay to borrow it!

14. DarthVader1

DarthVader1 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see someone making a casting out of this part, to finally start my HIC project... it's being on hold for the past 5 years, and THIS is the part I was waiting for.

15. Bigturc

I'm still looking for someone to contact me to do exactly this! My molding material is ready but I just don't have an original!

16. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I got one of these the other day and have been tinkering with it...
    HIC_Viewer.jpg

Andymac84 likes this.
  17. Bigturc

Finally received mine too .. Dropped it in rubber!

Original on left .. Cast on the right!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448288561.681002.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448288572.709807.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448288582.792464.jpg

18. exsanguinate

exsanguinate New Member

Has anyone attempted the cover portion? I think I've figured it out, but would love to hear other ideas before I fully commit

19. Bigturc

I'd love To see what people have done. I know for a fact that I would not display with a cover but still curious ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. DarthVader1

DarthVader1 Well-Known Member

Question; did you made a mold out of one, or you've just purchased a rubber casting?

Reason I ask is because I'm interested in one casting. Please, let me know via PM.

21. Bigturc

Hey DV1,
    I bought the original AND made a mold of it for casting. I'm pretty sure not everyone wants to pay 150$ for just that part!

PM me for details and which parts you want. Make sure to check all my HIC threads too! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. lmakeltraln

lmakeltraln New Member

Chris - which Bronica camera did that come from?

23. lmakeltraln

lmakeltraln New Member

anyone know what this part is? Untitled.png

24. lmakeltraln

lmakeltraln New Member

picked up one of these on eBay and messed around with it. thanks Reel Fakes for pointing me to the right one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigturc likes this.