Han Solo Blood Stripes - US overseas service bars?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Egon

Sr Member
Hey Everyone,

I was poking around what price glory today looking at Indy gear, and stumbled onto some ww2 era US overseas service bars. http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/5603-US-Overseas-Service-Bars/?bc=no

Now, I don't think these are what were used on his trousers, but I think it may have offered some inspiration in his costumes, especially for Empire and Jedi. In the new Original Trilogy Costumes book, it does mention that the original concept design had similar military inspired tuxedo stripes and they were swapped with the bars we see on screen.

A quick google search makes it seem like a lot of sellers have these on big rolls that can be cut to measure. Maybe they can be an alternative for some of us to hand embroidering or paying big money to get some embroidered.

Cheers!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Sym-Cha

Master Member
Indeed most of the inspiration for ANH props and costumes parts came from well known pieces and other era's in time ... so it's no surprise that's how they came up with the blood stripes on Solo's pants. Good call :)

Chaim

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
That looks plausible. Most likely they are made in long strips then cut. I believe that it is said the items used for the strip was used for the chest detail on Luke's ceremonial jacket.

p51

Sr Member
No question in my mind they're 1940s enlisted overseas service stripes. I collect US WW2 stuff as my primary hobby and I have several in my collection, sewn to Class A jackets.
They were indeed made on rolls. I've seen originals on rolls easily long enough to go down a pants leg, but not lately. Maybe Dover Army & Navy store in Dover, DE might have a roll... They always seemed to have stuff like that lying around as there's almost zero call for them, even among collectors.
I have the recent SW costumes book and am convinced they're Army overseas service stripes, or an exact copy of them. The originals were done on a brown-ish wool.