Han Solo ANH Blaster From RIA, Prev on Pawn Stars

I too would like to hear what he has to say, but with so much money and claims on the line..I'm not really sure what we'll really hear.

This isn't the first time a prop has been pushed publicly as being original, and likely not the last either sadly.. At least in this case, it's obviously not entirely real.

Although the goal of our hobby is to reach what can be considered 'counterfeit' levels of accuracy, it's not our hobby's intention to counterfeit in any way for most of us here. Yes it's a very fine line, but reaching accuracy for our personal obsessive reasons is one thing, but reaching accuracy for reasons of counterfeiting and passing it off as original are miles apart as far as our goal intentions and motivations.

Just like the WorldCon blaster back in the day, I still have my doubts about that one.. But it sold, so..:confused:

-Carson

IMO, the key detail requiring verification is that three different Mausers were used in production. The provenance for this piece is solely based on memories alone, or is there a shred of physical documentation to the claim (like production notes/receipts from 1976)? Now saying that three guns were used in production just muddies the waters... and creates a plausible back story for this particular serial number.

Last edited:
I believe only one HERO was ever made and completed... meaning "dressed" by the art dept with all the greeblies.

The back-ups were likely just "available" in case the HERO gun failed. Base c96 with lugs welded on. No mention if the other one had a bull/rifle barrel.

The bunker blaster had the scope attached (backwards) on what appears to be the same lug type mounts. NO Mystery Disk or grill is visible.
The PS version "may" be this one. Not screen used in ANH or any final film scenes.

Last edited:
Guys ... the biggest drop in this whole letter is that the actual hero blaster was likely stolen away in a "govt. buyback scheme" ... this means it could ACTUALLY be back in circulation, out there in the world somewhere!!!
Gov't gun buybacks exist to get firearms out of circulation, not to return them to it. Buyback guns are destroyed.

The keyword that grabbed my attention here was government buyback "scheme". Perhaps this is just a word that's used differently in the UK, but I understood his statement "lost in a govt. buyback scheme" to mean that they were tricked into sending them off under the false premise of a buyback program. Would he have used the words "lost" and "scheme" if they willingly sent them away to be destroyed?

The keyword that grabbed my attention here was government buyback "scheme". Perhaps this is just a word that's used differently in the UK, but I understood his statement "lost in a govt. buyback scheme" to mean that they were tricked into sending them off under the false premise of a buyback program. Would he have used the words "lost" and "scheme" if they willingly sent them away to be destroyed?
It is a scheme because the government forces you to turn in guns that they “ buyback” from you because they can’t just confiscate property without compensation.

So the lost the gun due to the scheme.

In the UK, scheme is synonymous with program in this context.
Scheme is often used as slang for idea, or plan, or program, not necessarily with negative connotations.
The word scheme is used in connection with govt. programs due to their bureaucratic and thus complicated nature.

Last edited:
Scheme is often used as slang for idea, or plan, or program, not necessarily with negative connotations.
The word scheme is used in connection with govt. programs due to their bureaucratic and thus complicated nature.
Interesting.

In the US scheme is usually associated with trickery. A devious plot more than a plan.

They do it here as well.

Todd had said he was going to visit him at some point.

Any news Todd?
Tony sent me an email informing me that he had consigned the pistol to Rock Island a few months ago. He reiterated his invitation to visit and sit down with both of them for a chat. Carl was agreeable to meet, too. My wife and I were planning a visit and are awaiting the arrival of my wife's passport. However, since the Mauser is not there anymore, and his letter is very thorough, I'm not sure what more there is to ask. I would like to know from Carl how he constructed the barrel shroud, welded in the restrictor, and how he fitted the flash hider, but that's about it. I have also considered asking permission to examine the gun at Rock Island to get these details (and may still do so).

The back-ups were likely just "available" in case the HERO gun failed. Base c96 with lugs welded on. No mention if the other one had a bull/rifle barrel.

That really wouldn't be helpful. The point of the back up is so that filming is not interrupted in case of a failure. The back up needs to be instantly ready (with the exception in this case of quickly transferring the scope).

Tony sent me an email informing me that he had consigned the pistol to Rock Island a few months ago. He reiterated his invitation to visit and sit down with both of them for a chat. Carl was agreeable to meet, too. My wife and I were planning a visit and are awaiting the arrival of my wife's passport. However, since the Mauser is not there anymore, and his letter is very thorough, I'm not sure what more there is to ask. I would like to know from Carl how he constructed the barrel shroud, welded in the restrictor, and how he fitted the flash hider, but that's about it. I have also considered asking permission to examine the gun at Rock Island to get these details (and may still do so).

That really wouldn't be helpful. The point of the back up is so that filming is not interrupted in case of a failure. The back up needs to be instantly ready (with the exception in this case of quickly transferring the scope).

Here is the link to the auction listing at Rock Island:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...er-broomhandle-dl44-heavy-blaster-pistol-prop

Edit: Sorry....just saw that this had already been shared.

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply and info.

Your questions are exactly what would be interesting to know. The construction. Karl's answers on Pawn Stars were very abbreviated. Doesn't seem that he likes to chat much. You'd have to pry the detailed story of the build out of him. I suggest alcohol. ; )

Tony mentioned that the restrictor was screwed in the barrel. I'd like to know the attachment of the FH as well but from the loose and tilted fit I imagine he just cranked the bolt tight. Maybe he cut a detent in the barrel which would be smart since the FH could fly off with the blast. There was also "talk" of stuffing the FH with aluminum foil which could help keep it straight but that's only talk.

As for the back-ups. It wouldn't be the first time there was only one HERO prop. No real way to tell for sure. Karl didn't dress them with greeblies. The PS version shows no remnants of glued on greeblies. If it is the Bunker blaster, no Disk.

The HERO was only seen in a few scenes out of the holster and or firing. Three maybe?

The story from Karl was that there were 3 c96 guns already "cut" (barrels) at Bapty. He added some bits- FH and scope/mount and gave it to the George (art dept)

Tony just said that there was only ever one scope and mount. I have never heard any talk of additional HERO's. No images... nothing on film or promo for sure. Lonepidgeon has never mentioned any back-ups as far as I know. ?

A full interview would be great. Follow up questions... and if you do... YouTube it! Would make a great watch!

It is a scheme because the government forces you to turn in guns that they “ buyback” from you because they can’t just confiscate property without compensation.

So the lost the gun due to the scheme.

Ahh, thet checks out. Thanks for clarifyjng, fellas! Can't blame a guy for hoping. I do love the idea of it having been stolen away and perhaps sold illegally, pawned, etc, still out there in the world waiting to be found.

Ahh, thet checks out. Thanks for clarifyjng, fellas! Can't blame a guy for hoping. I do love the idea of it having been stolen away and perhaps sold illegally, pawned, etc, still out there in the world waiting to be found.
It would be nice!

But Tony said the same thing we have said. At the time there was little significance to the prop or props in general. It was another weird SciFi movie. That's all. He said that after filming, when they got it back they stripped it down and back to the basic gun so it could be used in other films.

So after filming... it was gone as far as the screen used ANH HERO prop goes.

We have to remember tho with all due respect, Tony was not there in 1976-77. He is going by second or third hand knowledge and speculation about "screen used" and dressed blasters.

Every image we have - on screen and pre and post production and every casting is based on the one #2813 HERO prop. No other version of the ANH blaster has ever been seen or spoken of until the PS version.

We know there were other c96 guns with cut barrels and welded lugs. There is zero proof any ever had glued on art department greeblies.

Tony also mentions "Dummy scopes and mounts were used" Again speculation. He was not there in 1977. No castings or talk of casting has ever been mentioned.

Tony mentions a "re-lengthened barrel" and "faint witness marks on the slide" of the newly built Karl special. And then states it is "undoubtedly" one of the guns used on the set.

What "witness marks" is he referring to?

Last edited:

Thank you very much Todd, your older account of the cradle being saved and having the rest of the mount machined new correlates with this new letter stating the bottom 2/3 of the mount was re-made. (If this is still the story)

Also rather interested if the fat barrel was original or a new addition to the gun

Thank you very much Todd, your older account of the cradle being saved and having the rest of the mount machined new correlates with this new letter stating the bottom 2/3 of the mount was re-made. (If this is still the story)

Also rather interested if the fat barrel was original or a new addition to the gun
If by bottom 2/3 means everything but the two top rings.. then yes.

My previous post comparing the vertical supports and cradle and square hole being completely different along with details on the rear surface.

Only the scope and top rings are original. Unfortunately.

There were likely two c96 Mausers with bull barrels as far as we can tell. The PS could be the second but also could be a recent fabrication.

Karl could clear up the issue with further questioning. I fear he will not divulge any further in-for-mation…. ;)

Last edited:

Yes, the tidbit about the slide part of the bracket being actually missing is new to me. I had asked him about the dovetail before, and he asked Carl about it. Perhaps that's why he is particularly specific about the slot in his statement.

The way Tony described the barrel to me was that it was a shroud fitted to the outside of the shortened Mauser barrel. It was able to be un-soldered and removed. I understood him to mean that is the state it was in when Carl began reconstruction.

One other detail I don't think Tony would mind if I share, is that he is good friends with Christian Cranmer, who founded and owns International Military Antiques. The sensibilities that have guided his reconstruction of the blaster are very much the same as those used for restoring antique weapons. I guess a weapon ready to display is worth more than a box of rusty parts? Makes sense, right?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back