Han Solo ANH Blaster From RIA, Prev on Pawn Stars

So, from my memory if it serves.... those straight, ball ended scallops were definitely a replica thing. We didn't have the reference or the machining ideas to replicate the bullet shaped MG81 scallops, and neither did MR at the time.

That being said... the Pawn Stars FH is much cleaner than that MR sample. Almost looks like they machined a new piece with the MR as reference, if the mount theory goes this way as well. There is more forward endged knurling and less cone at the tip of the PS one as well.

The story shared with us by Todd is that this was one NOS piece they had lying around thankfully, so maybe like a lot of machining at the time, the pieces weren't all the same and this was original when it comes to being a vintage class III firearm piece. Not sure myself

The scallops look smaller on the PS FH compared to the MR FH. It certainly looks like they were inspired by the MR though. Especially in the mount and in the way it attaches to the rail. I think they simply used the MR as a tent pool possibly when recreated these PS parts. Someone said “hey we have Han’s Blaster over here for reference. What could go wrong?!” Unless they knew what they were actually looking for.. they wouldn’t be the first to make that mistake. MR to this day continues to lead people astray.

A bit of an odd question here, but this thought actually occurred to me earlier today while I was working; in an alternate universe, just how much of the RIA blaster would have to be original for you to (personally) consider the title of "Han's original DL-44" to be accurate? Every last bit and greeblie? Just the major components? or even just the original C96 upper/lower with the rest being modern replacements?

I suppose it's our own version of the Ship of Theseus; just how much of Han's original blaster would have to remain before you yourself could no longer call it the same laser pistol?

In my own mind, what would matter the most to me would be the base C96 itself. The same Mauser that Harrison Ford himself held is to me the most important part of the prop, as every other component could more or less be fudged if they had been lost to time. Of course it would no longer be fully original in such a case, but in another world where the 2813 Mauser might have survived this thread might well have been quite a different one indeed.

Although even then I have no doubt that Bapty and co.'s restoration of the prop would have still drawn ample scrutiny, as many people just don't realize how little of such historic artifacts still remain, when the truth is that much of what remains is little more than our modern attempts at disguising the passage of time...

Mundi.jpg

Guns rarely just disappear.
I've heard rumours for years that a collector went to Bapty's when they were closing up and bought the guns with the serial numbers used in Star Wars.
If that is the case, or if something else happened to the gun, it will definitely show up again.
It's unlikely someone threw it out.

When that happens, it will be very interesting to see what happens. But sadly, the scope and mount will now likely never be reunited with it.

Gosh for me, the scope, that weird cradle (in full) full gun frame and the flash hider would make me feel comfortable calling it the original blaster.

If the flash hider was gone… I get it, that was an accessory, and the mount being chopped up or lost fades it for me too.

The gun being the main thing honestly!

Is that story true?

Did it's just re-sell at auction?

If by the story then you mean it selling for over $1M then yes, that happened back in 2022. I would assume that buyers fees jacked the price up above $1M. I don't believe that it sold a second time.

one expensive scope.jpg

In my experience, after doing research in similar areas of high-dollar value marketplaces, practices such as these are unfortunately quite common. It's somewhat akin to a musical performance, with, let's say, Yo-Yo Ma as a guest artist with a not particular outstanding symphony orchestra. Do you just let Yo-Yo Ma play by himself and not allow the symphony to play, or do you let them all play and at least try to evoke something that was suggestive of what was once there?

There's not the greatest of intellectual justifications for these type of practices, as restorations tend to take place under the assumption of "it's going to be hard for the lay person to tease out what's original and what's not".

Thinking along those lines it becomes "ok" to perpetuate similar practices.

If the prop looks weird, amateurish, or like a hodgepodge, then that's because it is. The majority is filler, nowhere near the caliber of the original's construction, but understood by those in the game as merely a backdrop for showcasing the several bits that are authenticated as original to the Hero prop.

If some sections are obviously unoriginal, botched, hamfisted or even cringeworthy, well then that's unfortunate, but can be overlooked if they allow the preserved, original pieces to shine through.

The problem, however, is that it's the majority of the prop, including the most important parts; the Mauser itself and the scope mount, that are compromised; patched together; fourth fate filler, and it's only really the fringes on the periphery that showcase the original's true remnants.

I don't mean to suggest that the creation of this object is anywhere near as bad as the infamous restoration 'Cecelia Giménez, executed on a fresco of *****'. That would seem cruel and insulting; however, it IS on the same continuum.

fresco_AP367373754354.gif

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back