Han in Carbonite build

bearings

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello! I've been lurking for a while, but here goes my first build thread here...

I'm building a Han in Carbonite, using: King Jawa's Han, Zenix's box kit and greeblies, and Bigturc's volvo panels. I'm also waiting on some end pieces from MonCal. I'm planning on figuring out the hero panel electronics myself using some kind of Arduino setup.. I haven't gotten that far yet.

I've been working on the box kit first, doing it slightly different from Zenix's directions. I have used these metal brackets in the past on other things and thought it would be good here. It's a little more work, but it will be a little lighter and will definitely have room for the end pieces and panels. Hopefully it'll work out ok! I used 1/4" MDF for the face board which has been glued down.. once that is dry I'll add some cross bracing and then begin work on filling all the screw holes and gaps.

17788204941_93107ab849_z.jpg17167426643_281f582071_z.jpg17599998658_503df07089_z.jpg17788262391_9493201ae9_z.jpg17165344994_8559d9a957_z.jpg17165233844_2c8f4bd4d2_z.jpg17761454986_89afcb5b34_z.jpg

Once the box is done I'll mount Han.. who has been taking up all the room on my desk.. along with all the panels...

17165987624_37b4640b2e_z.jpg17788215131_0a1f8a1c2a_z.jpg

What's this ... is it Han in Carbonite season now that he's finally coming home in December? ... Looks like your off to a great start ... I wish I had all your skills ... this is way out of my reach ... oh and pocket I suppose. Perhaps I could travel the USA and Canada hopping from 1 HIC being build or finished to the next . . . meanwhile taking professional pictures? :lol

Chaim

Yes, I'm afraid I came down with a bad case of needing to build a HIC... like so many before me have!

Here's the box upright with one of my kids for scale:
17649061308_c627a695cd_z.jpg

And today I received some parts for the hero panel in the mail.. 7 segment LEDs and a couple of the ones with the overflow + / - indicators. I got a couple extra of everything in case I screw something up.

17836868185_214f97a3e3_z.jpg

Oh man I'm jealous! I really want to tackle this build. Your doing a very good job! What a great way of introducing yourself. Will you being using elmers glue as the textures?

keep up the great work, I'm always excited for these builds!

Glad to see another build going on, I'm new here aswell and started a thread of my own. I will follow this one close. Eager to see how the heropanel lights will turn out :)

Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll be using elmers glue for the texture.. my wife (a painter) has been telling me about some different mediums that do basically the same thing. Going to investigate some over the long weekend and see.. I'll post here with my results!

Oh man I'm jealous! I really want to tackle this build. Your doing a very good job! What a great way of introducing yourself. Will you being using elmers glue as the textures?

keep up the great work, I'm always excited for these builds!

woah nice! brackets! it'd be sweet if you shared how to do that in the build instructions so people can learn there too

Yep, those are the brackets I used! I'll try to update the document once I make a little more progress, I took photos as I went.

Speaking of, here's where I'm at with the build so far:

19131971576_7aabb8e005_z.jpg

18535588574_4c2662ea8e_z.jpg

18537520423_d35daddab0_k.jpg

I did start playing around with the arduino and 7-segment displays, plus some research into the hero panel flashing sequences. I think I've got a better handle on how all that is going to work now. Other than that, I haven't made progress in a few weeks due to some traveling. Hoping to get back at it this weekend!

Hi all,

Could you provide me some schematic, material and/or instructions for made the Hero Panel? I don't want an accurate sequence, just some cool and acceptable with the 3 7-segment and the 1 +/- the other bulbs and the intermittent green light. Don't care really the sequence of the 7-segment displays. I am new here, but my proupose is same than yours: made my very own Han in carbonite, and all help is very appreciated. Greetings and may the force be with you! XD

Wow.. after like a year... back from the grave, this build is back in action :)

I got side tracked by being lucky enough to get one of the Anovos First Order Stormtrooper suits to build and troop in last year, but now I've got more room in the garage to continue with HIC.

Some catch up photos:

I left him like this for the longest time, when I didn't know what I was doing and used too much of the wrong kind of bondo and created more of a murder scene than anything else:
IMG_5770.JPG

Now I've added supports, end pockets from MC (that don't fit well, but I'm going to smooth that out soon) and have put down a coat of bondo and filler primer for the carbonite texture:

IMG_2737.JPGIMG_2776.JPGIMG_2782.JPG
IMG_2830.JPGIMG_2831.JPGIMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2862.JPGIMG_2861.JPGIMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2916.JPGIMG_2921.JPG

I'll post more updates as I make progress, shouldn't be another year this time between now and the next update :)

Updates on priming and painting. Still need to weather and mount side panels. Starting to consider how to hang him, maybe from the ceiling/joists
View attachment 702697View attachment 702696View attachment 702698View attachment 702699

Great build!

Here is a hanging suggestion and what I went with on mine.
A French Cleat that ties into studs in the wall. It holds 200lbs. Gives a decent appearance of floating off the floor.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-18-in-Hangman-Picture-Hanging-System/3058195

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back