Hammond Cane painting techniques

HavocWreaker27

I decided that for my first prop build I would take on Hammond's Cane from Jurassic Park. I figured the amber egg would be the most difficult part of the build but it turned out the be the easiest.

attachment.php

Moving on to the cane build, I was curious to know if you guys had any painting techniques for the wood cane I have built. Primarily use air brush? Washes? Colors? Type of paint? Figured I would seek help before ruining something that I’ve spent a good amount of time on to get to the shape that I want. The white one on the left is my paint testing cane and the one next to it will be the final product once sanding is complete and I have tested my painting skills. Thanks for any and all help

attachment.php

Here's how I did mine.
Spray painted almond color (or bone or antique white)
Dark grey oil paint brushed on (one section at a time) then wiped off with a cloth. Just make sure you don't wipe it off hard especially between the joints. Play around with this technique until you get the look you want. Oil paint is very forgiving as it takes a while to cure so if you don't like a part you did you can wipe it off and start over.
Give the paint a couple of days to cure.
Spray liberal amount of glossy crystal clear.

Thats it.
I sold it a couple of years ago (I still regret it!) or I would show you some pics. I assure you, though, I was VERY pleased with the results!

Good luck!

I agree with Funky on all points! I mixed dark brown with grey and even a little green to get the right weathering colour. If you look at images of screen used canes it has a lot of grey/green discolouration to it. Then I used dark matte brown for the gaps. Its darker in those gaps than you'd expect.

I've attached images of mine along with one of a screen used cane, although Im not entirely satisfied with mine yet.
018fa780c88f8b7a5885468047fac481.jpg
e9dc16929a9fae8d7d8f371f97c3423f.jpg
539c59b0c2ddea63e6e7200a42936c0e.jpg
b9044a608b2e4f4f37594de671438277.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm all about forgiving painting techniques. David your cane looks awesome on its own. I've seen airbrushing done on one before but never thought it looked screen accurate. Yours is the closest I've seen to screen accurate, so oil paints and a brush seem to be the answer. Just bought all the colors of oil paints to do it this weekend. I still need the spray paint for the base coat. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Funky on all points! I mixed dark brown with grey and even a little green to get the right weathering colour. If you look at images of screen used canes it has a lot of grey/green discolouration to it. Then I used dark matte brown for the gaps. Its darker in those gaps than you'd expect.

I've attached images of mine along with one of a screen used cane, although Im not entirely satisfied with mine yet.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170509/018fa780c88f8b7a5885468047fac481.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170509/e9dc16929a9fae8d7d8f371f97c3423f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170509/539c59b0c2ddea63e6e7200a42936c0e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170509/b9044a608b2e4f4f37594de671438277.jpg

That looks fantastic!!!

@davidJurassic, the paintjob on that cane indeed looks incredible. If the top would fit in a bit more, it would be just perfect... Is that a wooden cane, or resin? Would love to see it with a topper...

@davidJurassic, the paintjob on that cane indeed looks incredible. If the top would fit in a bit more, it would be just perfect... Is that a wooden cane, or resin? Would love to see it with a topper...
I can't take credit for the cane sculpt unfortunately, it was originally made by now banned member Prop Builder. But I sanded back and added striations with a wire brush and some wire wool before weathering. I still need to perfect the look though.

With so many new images of the screen used cane emerging its a good time to make your canes more accurate.

Chronicle Collectibles will be offering one too, was showcased in their video on their FB page recently. Looks like maybe its cast off one of the promotional canes because its flattened on the cane body but reportedly its a screen used original cast. Which would be cool to own.

Here is my build thread on mine: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=278057

Mine was wood (turned) and I used a white stain to get my color. I weathered it with a black stain. For the indents between sections I used pencil lead (which I applied while turning it on a lathe) and I liked how they come our not uniform and added to the weathering.

Another thing I liked about using wood was, after you turn something to smooth it would you sand paper the hell out of it while turning. Well I only did a little and it created some nice grooves for weathering and texture.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back